Whitepass Railroad Confusion

tarheelmjfan

I'm hoping someone will clear my confusion. :o We took the WPRR from Skagway 3 years ago. Our tour was through Celebrity Cruiseline. Basically, we rode up, switched tracks, then rode back. Is there another option? My sisters are considering this tour, but if it's the same one we took, they can count me out. I may consider another option concerning the train though, esp. if it's more non-train than train. FYI, we'll only be taking tours that don't require a passport.

I'm hoping someone will clear my confusion. :o We took the WPRR from Skagway 3 years ago. Our tour was through Celebrity Cruiseline. Basically, we rode up, switched tracks, then rode back. Is there another option? My sisters are considering this tour, but if it's the same one we took, they can count me out. I may consider another option concerning the train though, esp. if it's more non-train than train. FYI, we'll only be taking tours that don't require a passport.

There are other options but they all require a passport because you must enter Canada by land crossing. Without a passport you can only do the 3 hour roundtrip by train.

There are other options but they all require a passport because you must enter Canada by land crossing. Without a passport you can only do the 3 hour roundtrip by train.

Thanks for the quick reply. In that case, I think I'll pass. ;)

You'd pass just because you need a passport? Isn't that a requirement for any of the sailing now anyhow? If you cruise out of Seattle, you stop in Vancouver, so, a passport is needed for reentry when you get back to Seattle. If you leave from Vancouver, you need a passport too... Maybe the deadline for passports is past your trip, but to pass just for that reason is silly. You can take the White Pass all the way up to the Yukon and drive back down. A beautiful trip!

Actually there is an exception to the new passport rules for cruises that begin and end in the same port. So if the OP is on a roundtrip sailing from Seattle, all they need for their cruise is a certified copy of their birth certificate and a government issued photo ID.

Better check the government website on this. I am under the impression that after June 1st you MUST have either a passport bookstyle or passport card (new) for entry into Canada from USA.

The passport card is only good for entry into Canada/Bermuda/Caribbean/Mexico by car or rail or boat. It is like a driver's license and costs half as much as a real passport.

That being said, in this day and age, why not have a passport? It's good for 10 years. My mother who is 81 keeps her passport in her purse. As she says, you never know when you might get an opportunity you don't want to pass up! You go, mom!

Better check the government website on this. I am under the impression that after June 1st you MUST have either a passport bookstyle or passport card (new) for entry into Canada from USA.

As I said, there is an exception in the WHTI requirements for closed-loop cruises from a US port. As long as the OP is on a roundtrip cruise from Seattle then they are covered by this exception and only need a certified copy of their birth certificate and a government issued photo ID for the cruise.

Tell, your mom she warms my heart!!! Love to hear it.:D

The passport card is only good for entry into Canada/Bermuda/Caribbean/Mexico by car or rail or boat. It is like a driver's license and costs half as much as a real passport.

That being said, in this day and age, why not have a passport? It's good for 10 years. My mother who is 81 keeps her passport in her purse. As she says, you never know when you might get an opportunity you don't want to pass up! You go, mom!

Archived