Zip-Lining - booking on own?

Newbcruiser1

Has anyone booked the La Marquesa Canopy Tour on their own?

We were originally booked through Royal Caribbean but thanks to some itinerary changes, it was cancelled. Now, our itinerary is back to it's original times, and we're debating whether to book this on our own. We are unable to get a reply from RCI re: whether or not they'll add it back.

So has anyone booked it on their own through La Marquesa? Any problems? They said they include transportation and it's cash only, and the price is the same as what we had originally paid through RCI.

Odotyankee, That must be a generic e-mail reply - I got the exact same one yesterday! LOL! :)

The only thing I'm concerned about is missing the ship, but with a 7am-2pm stop, I doubt that would happen if we do the 9am tour (and I know this isn't a concern for you since you have the entire day pre-cruise in PR).

Has anyone booked on their own and done it? Experiences to share?

• 7 months later...

Did you do this tour? I'm looking at booking it on my own when we are there with the Independence in April. The problem with booking via RCL is they have a 12 year old age requirement. Booking on your own ... the requirement is only 90 pounds. My DD will be 11 and really wants to do this tour.

I am a bit concerned about the time in PR, also. We are there from 7-2. Any one out there that has done this tour?

Thanks,

I just got back from PR and did the canopy tour. It's not much of a tour at all. Now granted, every tour company is different, and I can't even remember the name of ours now. But we had a total of 6 zip lines we rode, through the same area of the rainforest with a view of...trees. Hubby said he wished it was more exciting. Now it was exciting enough for me as I was a bit nervous, but quite disappointed in the scenery and the horrible uphill hike to get back.

I went from a resort to the rainforest--it took about 25 minutes through a terrible mountain road. From the port I'd say you'd be looking at about 45 minutes. Again, each tour company will be different, and I'm not sure how many there are on PR that offer canopy tours.

We booked on our own last year with la marquesa, I think it was about 4 hours there and back. We were going out of San Juan and left about 9 and got back about 1. It was a okay excursion. We have since done a extreme canopy in Cabo San Lucas that blew this one out of the water.

They had too many people going at one time. We had a group of about 8

people and then a group of 10 more joined with us. It took way too much

down time waiting for everyone to go because they didn't have enough workers we had to keep waiting for workers to go onto the next platform. If we had a smaller group or more workers it would have helped.

• 4 months later...
We booked on our own last year with la marquesa, I think it was about 4 hours there and back. We were going out of San Juan and left about 9 and got back about 1. It was a okay excursion. We have since done a extreme canopy in Cabo San Lucas that blew this one out of the water.

They had too many people going at one time. We had a group of about 8

people and then a group of 10 more joined with us. It took way too much

down time waiting for everyone to go because they didn't have enough workers we had to keep waiting for workers to go onto the next platform. If we had a smaller group or more workers it would have helped.

I just got back from PR and did the canopy tour. It's not much of a tour at all. Now granted, every tour company is different, and I can't even remember the name of ours now. But we had a total of 6 zip lines we rode, through the same area of the rainforest with a view of...trees. Hubby said he wished it was more exciting. Now it was exciting enough for me as I was a bit nervous, but quite disappointed in the scenery and the horrible uphill hike to get back.

We just got back from a cruise and did the marquesa canopy. I guess they've hired some more people because there was no waiting at any platform except at the beginning as we waited for everyone to get started. Or maybe they had a lot of people that day because they were expecting 2 groups of 20 from our cruise ship.

I believe cnc123 is referring to a different zip line - I know there are at least 2 in PR. Marquesa had 8 lines and a "rappell" and the uphill walk was at the beginning, not the end. The drive from the port was about 20-25 minutes, and it took 3 hours for the entire excursion.

Archived