Capilano Suspension Bridge and Grouse Mountain

Is it too ambitious to attempt to see both of these in a single day? We will be in Vancouver in the beginning of July and we have rented a car. The two attractions appear to be relatively close together and we were thinking about getting to the Capilano Suspension Bridge at opening (8:30am) and exploring there before heading over to Grouse Mountain where it appears that most of the attractions offered in General Admission begin a bit later.

The earliest offering that I could find at Grouse Mountain was the movie which shows every hour beginning at 10:00am, but most of the other attractions seemed to be available in the early to late afternoon.

DH and I are used to a very fast paced vacation and like to keep busy. We are also used to a lot of walking...although the Grouse Grind does not really appeal to either one of us.

I would just like one of the locals...or someone who has "been there, done that" to chime in and let me know if this is a reasonable touring plan. We would be happy to start out early to get this done if we knew that we could be in bed before 11:00pm that evening.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Suzi

Yes your plan is very doable but if I understand your concern correctly it is that some of the attractions on Grouse start a little latter in the day than you would like. There are of course a number of trails on Grouse where you can walk between events or as and an alternative you may want to consider this:

Go to Granville Island in the morning and spend time there then head over to the North Shore and do the CSB and Grouse Mtn in the late morning. I would plan to spend about 2 hrs at the bridge and at least that long up on Grouse. I could also thow into the mix a walk in Lynn Canyon and the suspension bridge there...its free. There is also a seawall walk in West Vancouver and you may care to spend some time in Lighthouse Park also in West Vancouver...all of this is doable with an early start.

http://www.dnv.org/ecology/index.htm

http://www.bcpassport.com/vancouver-adventure/outdoor-adventure/great-flat-hikes.aspx

http://www.vancouvertrails.com/trails/lighthouse-park/

Thank you VERY much for responding. I had planned about 2-3 hours at the Suspension Bridge and most of the rest of the day (including the various shows) at Grouse Mtn.

Thanks for letting me know that it is indeed doable.

Suzi

You are welcome....but just a word to the wise, have a look up the mountain before you go and if it is raining or you can't see the top for cloud, don't bother going...you are just going to get cold and wet plus you won't be able to take in view which is one of the reasons for going.;)

We just got back Sunday from our cruise to Vancouver. We used public transportation and were able to do both easily in a day. A all day pass is 9 dollars and will get you on the sea bus, buses,and the sky train. We did the bridge first then the mountain and still had time to go to Stanley park.

We just got back Sunday from our cruise to Vancouver. We used public transportation and were able to do both easily in a day. A all day pass is 9 dollars and will get you on the sea bus, buses,and the sky train. We did the bridge first then the mountain and still had time to go to Stanley park.

Hi, we are going in 3 weeks and are interested in doing the same as you did. Can you give me specifics on the city bus and where and when you got to the stops, etc? we have 7 and 10 yr kids with us so will it be doable.. we travel often but dont like to go on shore excursions too many people.

thanks for your help. did you visit astoria and victoria also??

thanks

Hi, we are going in 3 weeks and are interested in doing the same as you did. Can you give me specifics on the city bus and where and when you got to the stops, etc? we have 7 and 10 yr kids with us so will it be doable.. we travel often but dont like to go on shore excursions too many people.

thanks for your help. did you visit astoria and victoria also??

The Vancouver transit system has an excellent route planner at http://translink.bc.ca/ which should be able to show you what you need to know. Assuming you're headed to Grouse Mountain, and you're coming off teh cruise ship, the 1st thing you want to do is buy day passes, so...

Exit Canada Place, turn slightly left and you'll see a set of escalators going down from the street. This will get you to the transit system, and to a place you can buy day passes for transit. After you go down, you'll see ticket machines straight ahead, but alas they don't sell day passes. Turn to your right, and walk towards the underground shops, there is a store in there that does. Now that you have your ticket, turn around, go back to the escalators and this time go the other way which takes you down to the subway platform. Walk the length of the subway platform, take the escalator back up, turn left and you're walking toward Seabus which is the 1st step of getting to grouse mountain and the cap suspension bridge.

If you have a route picked out and have specific questions, let me know....

Scott - can you not buy an all day pass in Waterfront station - that would be a little easier to access and then get right on the Seabus.

Cheers

Dennis

So if I understand you all correct. Can we buy our all day passesn on the sea bus itself?

I just noticed that the Bridge is $30 and the Grouse mtn is about the same. We are a fanily of 4 so we are looking at $200 approx is it worth it to see them? thanks for your quick response.

thanks

Suzi,

I just got back from a few days in Vancouver (first time there) and spent day two at Capilano Bridge and Grouse Mountain. As Putterdude suggested in his post, I went to Granville Island in the morning and then headed to Capilano--I used public transportation which was very convenient and cheap.

Capilano Bridge was worth stopping at and I spent around an hour or so there. It is beautiful but I live in Northern California and except for the suspension bridge, I could have been home:), so I moved on to Grouse Mountain.

First, if it is overcast I'm not sure I would spend the time/money to go to Grouse Mountain but if it is clear, I can't imagine there being a better place to spend the day. There are a ton of things to do there. I did the zip lines (almost 2-1/2 hours by themselves), saw the lumberjack show, hiked and would have taken the helicopter tour if I had more time. The weather was perfect: warm and sunny. Second, I would recommend packing a lunch to take with you b/c the food quality is o.k. but a bit expensive.

If you take a packed lunch check out the public market on Granville Island, they have tons of fresh and prepared foods, loads of fruit, etc.

Have a great time.

Scott - can you not buy an all day pass in Waterfront station - that would be a little easier to access and then get right on the Seabus.

The little post office/magazine stand in Waterfront Centre (where I suggested) is generally a little easier and less crowded, and doing it this way puts you right on Seabus (up escalator from Skytrain puts you at Seabus and WCE)

So if I understand you all correct. Can we buy our all day passesn on the sea bus itself?

I just noticed that the Bridge is $30 and the Grouse mtn is about the same. We are a fanily of 4 so we are looking at $200 approx is it worth it to see them? thanks for your quick response.

thanks

Short answer is yes and no...having raised a family I know where you are coming from. So if it is a nice day and I was going to choose just one I would probably do the Grouse Mountain Skyride, there is just more things for a young family to see and do up there. If it is not so nice then I would would head for Granville Island. If you are just getting off the ship in Vancouver than you are going to have to do something with your luggage ...CDS Baggage does operate a checking service at Canada Place but it can prove to be a bit expensive for 4 people so if you are staying at a downtown hotel you may be advised to head there and check you bags with the bell desk. The All-day passes referred to are available at many if not most conveniece stores. You may want to consder the Lynn Canyon Suspension Bridge and park which is free. There is a link provided in my post above.

I, too, was thinking of doing both in one day. I can see from their websites that it lists which buses to take to each. But how easy is it to get to the stop they mentioned (for example for CSB it says "Easily accessible by transit: from downtown Vancouver ride the Seabus to Lonsdale Quay and take the #236 bus to Capilano Suspension Bridge. ") Is it easy to get to Lonsdale Quay from Canada Place?

Also, what about from CSB to Grouse? Can you go directly there or do you need to get back into town and take its recommended bus?

How long are the bus rides to and from there?

Thanks!

I, too, was thinking of doing both in one day. I can see from their websites that it lists which buses to take to each. But how easy is it to get to the stop they mentioned (for example for CSB it says "Easily accessible by transit: from downtown Vancouver ride the Seabus to Lonsdale Quay and take the #236 bus to Capilano Suspension Bridge. ") Is it easy to get to Lonsdale Quay from Canada Place?

Also, what about from CSB to Grouse? Can you go directly there or do you need to get back into town and take its recommended bus?

Thanks!

The Seabus station forms part of Waterfront Station which is about 100 paces east of Canada Place. You take the Seabus across the harbour to Lonsdale Quay. Grouse Mountain Skyride is about a 5 min bus trip up Capilano Rd. from the CSB. You can see Canada Place to the left and the Seabus terminal in the bottom of this picture.

nswebcam.jpg

Thanks!

There are a ton of buses that go right to the Station where the Seabus is and when you get off the seabus the #236 Bus is right outside the terminal. The #236 drops you off across the street from Capilano and in front of Grouse Mountain. It was really convenient. Plus, the schedule is posted at each stop and, at least while I was there, the buses were on time! It took me 1 hour to get from Grouse Mountain back to the Station, 30 minutes on the bus and 30 minutes on the seabus.

You can see Grouse in the image that PD posted - in the upper top left corner you will see a good size patch of snow - that is what is referred to as the Cut on Grouse - the Skyride terminal and other attractions will be to the left of the snow.

Cheers

Dennis

We bought our bus passes at the tourist info center located just across and to your right from Canada Place. You can also buy your tickets for the bridge and the mountain at a discount there. And remember you will get a break on the exchange rate.

When you get off the seabus the bus station is close just pass Mcdonalds. Get on the 236 to both places the bridge will be first 15 minutes. The mountain is another 5-10 minutes. So all you will need to go to both places is the sea bus and the 236. Most drivers are very friendly and will help you with any questions.

At the Capilano suspension bridge they also have walking trails and exhibits. What my wife and I liked best was the bridges and platforms that go from tree to tree 100 feet up. Reminded us of the Ewoks home from starwars.

There is also a free shuttle that will take you to the bridge it leaves Canada place about every one and a half hours. We didn't use it because we wanted to ride the sea bus and go other places but for a family you could buy your tickets at the tourist info center and catch the Free Downtown Vancouver Shuttle.

It was beautiful and warm up on Grouse today - the view was okay - there is some haze from the inversion that we are having but you still got a good view - the bears were out and putting on a show for the assembled folks - over 200 school kids were due on the mountain today as this is the time of year that the educational trips take place - there is still snow on the mountain BUT all the attractions and the paths getting to them are snow free - the new peak chair will take you up to the top of Grouse Peak where the views are even more stunning - that trip is included with your admission ticket. The lumberjack show was on - have seen it a number of times and the act hasn't changed much.

I will be updating my blog with some pictures from today and will repost the link when I get it done.

The trip up/down the mountain is 8 minutes long in case you are wondering how long it will take to get up the mountain.

Cheers

Dennis

Archived