Pacific Sun maybe free of swine flu

Ela 2

I phoned my daughter on the Pacific Sun. She said from what she has heard there are no suspected cases of swine flu on the Pacific Sun. :) They had heard that there were some on the Pacific Dawn.

I certainly hope that this turn-around goes smoothly for P & O and that the 'old' and 'new' passengers don't have any problems. :):)

Evon.

I'm leaving home to pick them up now. She says they had a great time, even though they were rained on in every port. Her llittle cat will be over-joyed to see her home. Strangely, he has been very unsettled this morning as if he knows something is (or will be) different.

Evon.

Before disembarking from the Pacific Sun passengers were asked to fill out a form regarding colds and flu-like symptoms. Those who indicated they had these were taken aside to see a doctor. Those who didn't have symptoms disembarked as usual. :)

There was a photographer hanging around outside the doorway passengers come through. I think he was hoping to get a photo of passengers with masks.

Evon.

Before disembarking from the Pacific Sun passengers were asked to fill out a form regarding colds and flu-like symptoms. Those who indicated they had these were taken aside to see a doctor. Those who didn't have symptoms disembarked as usual. :)

There was a photographer hanging around outside the doorway passengers come through. I think he was hoping to get a photo of passengers with masks.

Evon.

did you go down to port side today evon?

did you go down to port side today evon?

Yes. I got there at 9am and my daughter and her boyfriend came out well before 9.30.

Passengers for the next cruise were arriving even before 9am and embarkation doesn't start today until 2pm. They are in for a long wait. :):)

Evon.

Yes. I got there at 9am and my daughter and her boyfriend came out well before 9.30.

Passengers for the next cruise were arriving even before 9am and embarkation doesn't start today until 2pm. They are in for a long wait. :):)

Evon.

did they have a good cruise and did they say why,

i now that one reson was to load more food but iis there any others?

Hi all,

3 co-workers of mine, all within the health industry, (nursing), disembarked from the Pacific Dawn on Monday morning, yes they filled out health forms but were not informed of swine flu onboard. I heard it on the news tuesday morning, contacted them, and none of them had been informed. They are now in home quarantine for 7 days. One was due back at work today, and could have quite easily been spreading germs amongst the sick and frail. Scarey and not good enough!

Michele

Hi all,

3 co-workers of mine, all within the health industry, (nursing), disembarked from the Pacific Dawn on Monday morning, yes they filled out health forms but were not informed of swine flu onboard. I heard it on the news tuesday morning, contacted them, and none of them had been informed. They are now in home quarantine for 7 days. One was due back at work today, and could have quite easily been spreading germs amongst the sick and frail. Scarey and not good enough!

Michele

Carnival are just going by NSW health which is the Govt agency responsible for making decisions such as quarantine etc.

Did you see the bad publicity Princess got for putting the ship in quarantine at NSW health's response, whingers hanging over the side complaining and people furious they had missed flights, so it's little wonder why they were reluctant to qurantine Pacific Dawn. Yet if they let people off you get whingers complaining they should of done more to stop it.

Seems they can't win either way really, there's just always going to be people complaining and whinging.

In my opinion they did the right thing, the individual should be responsible for their health and if they had any flu symptoms they should have been honest and marked it on the questionare and got tested.

As for Carnival not telling the passengers initially, could you imagine a ship of 2000 people knowing swine flu was onboard, people just would have complained and whinged even more making it a bigger deal then what it really had to be, so it makes sense really I reckon.

Hi all,

Michele

i take it the 3 co workers live in melb as well?

Just got back from a trip down to Portside at lunchtime to see Pacific Sun. I saw one film crew down there, and a channel 7 car, but apart from that just the usual happy mix of passengers who'd come off wandering around the shops and cafes, and passengers arriving and looking lost.

Pacific Sun is scheduled to sail at 5.00, and I can see why. The one difference I did notice was that she was berthed slightly forward of where she is normally, and there was a crane on the wharf hoisting a pallet of new metal square tubing up onto the deck at midships. No idea what it was for, but they were obviously building something with it on deck. It looked like ducting or something.

but apart from that everything looked normal. Didn't see anyone wearing masks, and didn't see any swine flu :D:eek:.

Yes the 3 co-workers are from country victoria, 2 hours north of melbourne, they flew 2 melb and then drove home, then went about their normal business.

I am not bagging the cruise line solely, the health dept have a lot to answer for. I have never jumped on any band wagon when the crusie lines have been in the media, always defended them, but not this time. Passengers should have been told and provided with face masks. Not informed by their manager 1 day later.

Michele

cruisin-m,

The issue is not if they had flu like symptoms when they disembarked and being honest about it. My issue is that they were not informed that the kids had tested positive and that they had to be in quarintine for 7 days regardless of whether they had symptoms or not.

Michele

cruisin-m,

The issue is not if they had flu like symptoms when they disembarked and being honest about it. My issue is that they were not informed that the kids had tested positive and that they had to be in quarintine for 7 days regardless of whether they had symptoms or not.

Michele

Hi Michele,

My undertanding is that the Health Dept made the decision that passengers should be quarantined only after the tests came back positive. That was also after the passengers had disembarked and dispersed to their homes. The Health Dept virtually admitted they had made a mistake. They said they thought the sick people had normal flu so therefore they didn't take further steps re quarantine. After the people tested positive they then said they would contact all these people at home and ask them to quarantine themselves. They said they would send them a health pack (mask, anti-bacterial jell and an information sheet). :confused: I think that is too little too late by the Health Dept.

I suspect there was flack flying within the Health Dept over holding the Dawn Princess in quarantine for seven hours. I think the result was the totally different handling of the Pac Dawn.

I think all disembarking passengers should have been given that health pack (mask, jell and info sheet) by the Health Dept.

Evon.

did they have a good cruise and did they say why,

i now that one reson was to load more food but iis there any others?

Hi Thied,

They didn't see any reason for the late departure. I think the reason given by P & O is probably correct - no reason to think otherwise. Keep in mind that their first port of call is Noumea and they are not due there until Saturday. That allows much more time than is usually allocated for the Brisbane to Noumea run.

Our daughter and boyfrield had a fantastic cruise (thank you for asking). The weather wasn't very kind but otherwise they had a ball. They loved the ship, really enjoyed the ports of call and met some lovely people, as you do on a cruise. They have been making plans to keep in touch with some of their new friends. I think a lot of you will agree that this is one of the great aspects of cruising. (Hey, I don't have to 'sell' it to all of you, do I?)

When I have a chance to get detailed info on their port days, I will post more additional info that might be of help to other cruisers.

Our daughter has cruised a lot, the last one being 14 nights on our family cruise last year, but this was a first for her boyfriend. I don't think it will be their last cruise. :):)

Evon.

Archived