Stopover in NY, Dining? Transportation?

We have a flight coming in to JFK at 6:30 in the morning. Our flight to Italy does not leave until 5:00 p.m. We'd love to store our bags at the airport and head into town to have lunch and gawk at a few tall buildings. Any suggestions for places to eat that we can be casually dressed, that will give us a great New York experience but without being a budget buster? Also, what would be the best form of transportation? Bus, taxi, etc. Like I said before, we do need it to be as affordable as possible. Lastly, is there anything we could do in this time frame? We'd like to be back at the airport by two or three. But if we could take an elevator to do a bit of sight seeing at the top of some big `ole building that would surely tickle our fancy and fulfill our quota for a bit of New Yorkness. Cheap options would be great, free options would be better. Thanks!

We have a flight coming in to JFK at 6:30 in the morning. Our flight to Italy does not leave until 5:00 p.m. We'd love to store our bags at the airport and head into town to have lunch and gawk at a few tall buildings. Any suggestions for places to eat that we can be casually dressed, that will give us a great New York experience but without being a budget buster? Also, what would be the best form of transportation? Bus, taxi, etc. Like I said before, we do need it to be as affordable as possible. Lastly, is there anything we could do in this time frame? We'd like to be back at the airport by two or three. But if we could take an elevator to do a bit of sight seeing at the top of some big `ole building that would surely tickle our fancy and fulfill our quota for a bit of New Yorkness. Cheap options would be great, free options would be better. Thanks!

you can leave your checked luggage probably checked through to Italy you hand luggage is a problem. There is no place to store it at the airport. You can take the airtrain to jamaica and then the LIRR into Manhattan(its a little faster than the subway and slightly more expensive. A cab is $45.00 plus toll and tip....I was trying to think where you can check luggage. there is a check room at Penn Station that you can use if you use the LIRR it ends there. There is free checking at MOMA(metropolitan Museum of art) but that doesn't open that early....you can eat lunch casually dressed almost anywhere.... no free observation decks Empire State Building and others all charge. You don't have much time as you need to head back by about 12:30 to be back by 2 or so.....

You biggest problem will be luggage storage IF your bags are not through checked (one ticket itinerary). Do you know if they will be through checked??? There is NO luggage storage at JFK, so what you will do with your carry ons-I have no idea.

You can use AirTrain out of JFK into Manhattan. Here's the link for info: http://www.panynj.gov/Airtrain/

AirTrain and a combination of subway/taxi/ bus while you are in Manhattan should do exactly what you want to do. Enjoy!!!

The big question is if you are on the same code share or airline. Did you book one ticket?

Worst case scenario you can take your luggage with you into Manhattan and check it at a big hotel bellstand. The Hilton Sixth Avenue, Marriott Marquis, Doubletree Times Square, Grand Hyatt are just a few of the big hotels that will have no problem doing this. Just don't advertise that you are not staying at the hotel and tip well.

What time of year? Summer I'd definitely go for an outside restaurant.

The best 'free' view I can think of would be to take the elevator to the 35th floor (it is the lobby) of the Mandarin Oriental. It doesn't cost anything to look and the view is stunning but to sit and soak it in you should at least buy a coffee or glass of wine. Sticker shock then sets in because a glass of wine is around $15.

For the price of a cocktail at the Mandarin Oriental, you can pay to go to the top of the Empire State Building or Top Of The Rock at Rockefeller Plaza. Very much worth the $15 or so dollars.

If you really want 'no strings free' go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art and go to the rooftop. There is a suggested admission price but you can pay what you want. I've never had the nerve to not pay but that is what it is there for so people who cannot afford the admission can still see the lovely works of art. The rooftop is only open in the warmer months and they serve wine and sandwiches. The view of Central Park and the surrounding areas are truly lovely. Also the Metropolitian Museum of Art is a fabulous place to people watch.

Not cheap but excellent outdoor dining staples would be the Boathouse and Bryant Park.

Downtown is Alphabet City I like Gnocco Cafe and I Coppi. Both have outside seating.

I know I've got you running all over the city but I'm just throwing ideas out there.

Time and luggage are going to be your worst enemies! By the time you come out from your morning flight, if it is on time, it will be 7:30. Then figure an hour to get to Manhattan by 8:30. You do need to be back by 2 PM for your international flight, so you will want to leave Manhattan by 12:30 or so. That leaves 4 hours. There is no place to leave your bags at JFK so you will have to schlep your bags with you unless you can check them in the morning itself to Italy or they are thru' checked.

You can take the A subway (about 1 hr ride each way) from long term parking to Manhattan, get off at 42nd street and walk around Times Square, Broadway, FAO Schwartz, Central Park, Rockefeller Center, Radio City, and Empire State Building (going to the top of Empire State will set you back $16 pp and may involve an hour or so wait depending on time of the year). If you walk around leisurely with some photo stops along the way, this should take the entire time. Eateries in Manhattan are for the most part good. Check Zagat's for recommendations in your price range.

Also, Marriott Marquis near Times Square has a revolving restaurant near the top with a good view. Depending on the day of the week they may be open for early brunch or coffee or not. They are not expensive. Call them on +1 (212) 704-8900 and check.

Jeans are ok 99% of the places in Manhattan for lunch even at sit down places and I do not think you will want to waste time for a sit down.

The best part of NYC is that you don't have to break your wallet to enjoy. If I were you, I'd just pick up a hot dog or giro from any deli, street side vendor (I am serious!) or subway and eat it while you are walking and looking up at various buildings.

Subway ride will be $1.50 per person each way

Sandwich for lunch $8 per person

If you check in your bags at a hotel in NYC, that may set you back another $10-$15 including tips.

How does this sound?

Boy is this info not current. A subway ride is $2.00 going up to $2.25 mid June. There is a reason why two of us said to take the airtrain to Jamaica and the subway/LIRR from there(the LIRR is much faster with fewer stops but does cost more)....with all due respect to someone from NJ don't take the A train from the Broadchannel station. Do it the way we to suggest using the website Greatam suggested. and take a cab back you will be tired by then its the same set $45 dollars plus tip and toll back to the airport you don't need to worry about trains buses etc....

Boy is this info not current. A subway ride is $2.00 going up to $2.25 mid June. There is a reason why two of us said to take the airtrain to Jamaica and the subway/LIRR from there(the LIRR is much faster with fewer stops but does cost more)....with all due respect to someone from NJ don't take the A train from the Broadchannel station. Do it the way we to suggest using the website Greatam suggested. and take a cab back you will be tired by then its the same set $45 dollars plus tip and toll back to the airport you don't need to worry about trains buses etc....

You are right about the subway fare.

Archived