Lousy Experience on Star

deepnite10

BY NO MEANS was NCL at fault..

we were on a 7 day inside passage cruise out of Seattle..

we had a wonderful night at The Edgewater and dinner

at Anthony s..

in the morning we were off..we walked next door to Pier 66 and were in the waiting area inside 20 mins..embarkation went without a hitch though

NCL employees seem d a bit disorganized..they had run out of boarding slips with numbers..we were 3 so it was nt so difficult to board..but, after all the numbers were called the rest of the passenger s were told they d be boarding in groups..not such a comforting thought..

First night we had dinner in the buffet..

and the second night we were dining in the Aqua..lobster night...i had

lobster and the wife decided on 2 entree s..:rolleyes: the lobster and beef wellington..the lobster was a bit tough but, tasty...the wife shared her

beef and it was so tender that it could have been cut with the fork..

that evening things started down hill..woke up at midnight *warning*..had a tummy ache and had that strange feeling the dam was about to burst..:o..up to the potty..then again in 5 min s..3 time s total till i barf d into the sink..to make things worse, the sink clog d..

thought the right thing to do was call the medical center on deck 4..was asked if i could make it down and i replied i did nt think id make it without

an accident..so they sent a wheel chair..once there i was given a physical and filled out a couple reports for NCL and the CDC..then i had that feeling again..then given direction s on what and what not to eat for the next 4 days and some meds..then was told i was quarantine for atleast 48 hrs..

when i was wheel d back to our cabin a room steward had unpluged the sink but a plumber was also called in to run a snake thru..then 15 mins later 2 stewards return d to sanitize the bathroom..

the next day i was feeling much better but we thought better of it than

try eating anything too heavy and went with the recommend menu..crackers, rice, mush, baked chicken and clear fluids..i opt. for the

apple juice..when i called room service they had already been informed about my diet and would alter from it..

though we did go a shore in Ketchikan..we did nt get off in Juneau..every few hrs reception called to make sure i was in the cabin..:mad: but, early on the second day i called and asked if i could be released..and to my relief the let me go..

at this time we thought we better pickup a extra piece of luggage at

Ketchikan s Outlet store..

then came Skagway where i did want to get ashore..but, did nt want to take any excursions due to my still weaken state from lack of decent food..and of course i did nt want to venture to far and find ourselves with a toilet if that feeling return d..so we just walked the streets making sure we knew where nearest restroom s were..

same was true in Prince Rupert..only on our last sea day did i feel confident to eat anything more tasty than rice and soup..during this period i got pretty good making my version of chicken stew..rice, some

veggies, all in a bowl of consume..:mad: that last meal was in the Aqua..

had sirloin with a pepper corn sauce..that was pretty good..then that feeling came back..:confused:..later we spent that last evening at a show..

all the time the crew was very understanding and patient with me..and was prompt whenever room service was needed..

early Sat. morning we woke up to the sight Seattle..

during debarkation i called our driver with Airport Transporter, Said..

he told me to call him again when we got our luggage..

the debarkation process went smoothly..we slid our card s and were on our way to pickup our luggage, *gotta remember to call Said*..then custom s just took our declaration slips..

outside Said was waiting for us and loaded our luggage and we were on our way to the airport..

HOME SWEET HOME..

i would have made a more complete review in their section..but, since we

really did nt have alot to share..i thought it best to share with just my close friend s here..:D..Alaska s Inside Passage is a experience no one should miss..not like the beach s in the Carib..but, the scenery was priceless..

Sorry to hear you got sick!:( That's no fun! Did you have a fever? Did they ever decide what was the matter with you?? something you ate?? flu?? noro-virus?? Did you hear of any others getting ill? I do hope you got some enjoyment from your cruise!

I surely am sorry that happened to you. You did the right thing about calling the meds. I have never had that experience on a ship, but it's got to be yucky. Better sailing next time. Nancy

thanks for the quick sympathy post..:)

i didnt have a fever nor did i have any ache s and pains..so they just said it was gastrial virus..but, still quaratine d me..

at no time did they say i had the Norwalk virus..

i still enjoyed myself..one of the great wonder s was just sitting out on the balcony as the Star cruised thru the Inside Passage..though i could go out after the quaratine was lifted i just did nt have much energy due to the diet they put me on..

Oh, dear, I'm so sorry you were sick! I hope you did get to at least see a bit of Alaska from the ship! It must be really unpleasant to be that ill and away from home and familiar things!

I hope whatever it was is gone now, and you're back to normal!

I wonder if you got food poisoning in Seattle...anyhow, that is a real shame you were ill. Maybe NCL will discount a future cruise for you....especially if it is determined that something on board made you sick.

I heard a lot of people of the NCL Pearl got sick when they returned on May17th....may have been something going around in Seattle. Glad you are better.

thanks for the quick sympathy post..:)

i didnt have a fever nor did i have any ache s and pains..so they just said it was gastrial virus..but, still quaratine d me..

at no time did they say i had the Norwalk virus..

i still enjoyed myself..one of the great wonder s was just sitting out on the balcony as the Star cruised thru the Inside Passage..though i could go out after the quaratine was lifted i just did nt have much energy due to the diet they put me on..

Well there was no way they could tell you it was Noro, since they would have to do tests and wait for results by which time your cruise would be over.

I had a similiar experience on the Star in Dec. First night I suddenly felt I had to go, I went and got cold sweat and went about every ten min. all night long, but by morning I was fine.

I thought it was very odd in fact. Most bugs would have lasted longer, and it was not sea sickness.

I am sorry this happened to you that is no way to have to spend a vacation.

You poor thing!! What a way to spend a vacation - and undoubtedly a vacation that you have long been awaiting. :(

It's a testimony to your great attitude that you provided such a positive post in light of your troubles.

Unless I'm missing something, there seems to be a common thread for you in Aqua...might there be a connection to some kind of bread, appetizer, beverage, etc...maybe you have an allergy to something??

I feel so badly for you - and for your wife. I know that if one of our traveling party became sick it would put a damper on the trip for the rest of us... :(

Hope that something very, very good is coming your way for being such a great sport about this.

So sorry you had a rough time. My BIL got noro on a cruise and thought he would die...he thought it was because he over ate, but it turned out to be the noro virus.

Glad to see that you did not blame NCL and were understanding about the quarantine...some people are unreasonable about being confined and feel since they paid for thier cruise, they have the right to infect the rest of the ship...I know it was a bummer, but you did the right thing by staying confined, even if it was annoying with all the calls...sounds like NCL did all they could for you, but I know on a recent cruise where we had a noro outbreak of over 300 ppl, there were some pax that got OBC's for thier trouble...

Are you sure it wasn't morning sickness? hahahaha...

I'm sorry to be making a joke. I thought for sure that's what you were going to say until I read the "wife"....

I'm glad you're feeling much better & that NCL offers you something on a return cruise.

What a shame for you to be poorly on your cruise. When I am sick I just want my own home around me. I know I would just hate it happening because it has happened before to me when away.

Glad you found somethings to be positive about, the scenery is incredible.

Oh, that absolutely sucks!!! It looks like the ship's crew took very good care of you. It sounds like either food poisoning or the stomach flu. But, since you didn't have a fever, it was probably food poisoning. I've had it twice. The first time I was sick for 6 weeks. The CDC did this huge investigation. But, didn't find fault with the pizza joint where I had eaten. Too bad. But, I couldn't eat pizza for a year!

I'm glad you're feeling better. And, I hope your next cruise experience is better. Welcome home!

i had nt thought about receiving a deal on a future cruise..but, it would be nice to see something in my inbox..or snail mail..:D

i did feel bad after the fish & chip s in the Blue Lagoon..but, i can t blame them for that, cuz the next day i order d it again..:o

Deepnite10,

Oh my gosh!! So sorry to hear you where so ill---Knowing you guys that must of been a very dissappointing cruise. I'am sure you two had all kinds of things planned. I like your positive attitude tho---hear so much complaining about the little things and you guys had something beyond "little" and as always handled it very well.

Hope to cruise with you again sometime!!!

Awwwwwww Deepnite!! I know the Star is your favourite ship, too. :(

I agree with Retiredonthesea, though, your positive attitude always shines through! I'm glad your entire trip wasn't ruined by your illness and that you were able to make the best of it and come away with some good memories, too. :)

Did the Star sail west of Vancouver Island in both directions, north and south, like the Pearl? If not, in which direction did it sail east of Vancouver Island?

Very sorry to read you got ill? Did your cabin mate get ill too? Being ill on vacation can put a monkey wrench on it.

I'm sorry to hear you felt so unwell on your cruise :( I know what you must have felt because I had a tummy bug a few mths ago and like you I was back and fourth to the bathroom and that bad I dare not leave the house.

I hope you are feeling a lot better now.

Did the Star sail west of Vancouver Island in both directions, north and south, like the Pearl? If not, in which direction did it sail east of Vancouver Island?

On the first 3 cruises out of Seattle this season, the Star has cruised east of Vancouver Island in the northbound direction. Let's hope she keeps this up!:) I'm all for calmer seas and a more scenic route!

On the first 3 cruises out of Seattle this season, the Star has cruised east of Vancouver Island in the northbound direction. Let's hope she keeps this up!:) I'm all for calmer seas and a more scenic route!

That's what the Spirit did summer of 2004. That is a nice Alaska itinerary, which is why I took it first.

That's what the Spirit did summer of 2004. That is a nice Alaska itinerary, which is why I took it first.

When were you on the Spirit to Alaska in 2004? We were on her on the July 3rd cruise. Yes, we loved going up the Canadian Inside Passage! and we thought the Spirit was a beautiful ship!:)

Just wanted to chime in and say I know how that feels. A similar thing happened to me on our RCL cruise to Mexico in Feb. The worst part was we had booked a really expensive excursion and RCL said we could cancel but then changed their minds (very long story). I take that back, the worst part was eating boring food on a CRUISE :).

You should have a do-over Alaska cruise! I know we plan to re-do Mexico (and also try Alaska - perhaps on the Star).

the evening we left Ketchikan was when i got sick..we had to cancel our Mendenhall Glacier excursion with the help of the nurse..

just sat out on the balcony for the entire day in Juneau..then was afraid to take any excursion s the rest of the cruise:o

Archived