passport questions

I have someone in my office right now with a crusie question...I guess they figure I've been on enough to know, but I didn't know this one.

The family has a mom a dad and 2 kids. The 2 kids are born from the mom but the dad is not their birth father. They would like to get passports, but weren't sure about the requirements for the dad's signature. They would rather not go than have the birth dad sign. Anyone know what the deal is with this?

If they are under the age of 16, the signature of both parents is required to get a passport.

From www.travel.state.gov

Effective February 1, 2008, Public Law 106-113, Section 236 requires that U.S. passport applications for children under the age of 16 require both parents' or legal guardians' consent.

If the father is still in the picture then he needs to sign unless he signed his parental rights away in a legal document. If the step-father adopted them, then thats a different story.

what if the dad is MIA?

Rather than depend on any answers we may give you, which may or may not be correct, please consult the government officials in the passport office, and, if necessary, retain legal counsel. I am sure that this is not that unusual a situation but you really need someone in authority to give you the proper answer:)

Archived