New to NCCL - Spirit questions for wheel chair bound friend

hybrn8

Two couples contemplating short cruise on the Spirit out of New Orleans in the fall. We've all done lots of cruises on other lines (Celebrity, Princess, Holland America, Windstar, etc) but never Norwegian. This trip will be first for my friend who is now wheel chair bound and it's the ease of access to port of New Orleans which tempts us. What advise can any of you kind folks who've been on this ship offer? Specific info re handicap cabins, location, ease of movement throughout ship in a chair, etc. most appreciated.

I can't answer your questions specifically because I went on the Spirit without a wheelchair. However, my back went out during the cruise and they had to take me off in a wheelchair. It was no problem whatsoever. An attendant took me all the way from my cabin to the bus going to the airport with no delays and no problems.:)

I hope your friends can do the same thing. Nobody knows until they are confined to one of those things how difficult it can be.

Hi I was on the ncl Gem to Bahamas this past Nov. Just a heads up There was a party of about 8 looked to be parents, kids and grandkids. The older gentleman seemed to be wheeling his wife down the ramp to get off at nassau by himself no one family or crew were paying attention and the chair tipped going over one of the bumps the lady appeared to be ok but the husband got hurt I saw him in the dining room that night and his arm was bandage. So just be aware they don't have a smooth ramp getting off on the islands I would definitely ask for help it look very difficult to get down with the chair. Have fun I've been on the Spirit twice and I'm leaving friday on her again.

NCL marks handicapped cabins with a square symbol on its deck plans. You can print pdf files of all NCL ships at NCL's UK web site. Use 11x17 paper, set the printer to fill page, if you need larger images. I use a magnifying glass more and more often as I age.

Here's the link specifically for the Spirit's deck plans.

http://www.ncl.co.uk/fleet/deckplans_1/Spirit_DeckPlans_LR.pdf

There's only 5 handicapped cabins available on the Spirit.

Deck 11 - Inside cabins - 11129 & 11629

Deck 10 - Inside cabins - 10137 & 10637

Deck 4 - Oceanview cabin - 4498 (most likely a porthole vs a picture window)

You might want to come here

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

where there are lots of us who use wheelchairs for mobility who might be better able to answer your question more in depth,

but for now:

If indeed you are going to do this, book now and book a handicap-accessible room for your friend. A wheelchair, even a manual collapsible chair, will not fit in a regular cabin, and he won't have good access to the bathroom and facilties in there.

If your friend is in a manual chair and expects to move about the ship, you'll need to know that carpeting and manual chairs are not always friendly, so he'll need to have one of you assist in pushing him around.

I can't speak specifically about that ship, but if you come over to the board I linked above, there may be folks there that have some direct experience with it.

Generally I've found that if you ask for assistance, the cruise crew will be glad to provide it, but they won't step in and do anything if not asked. I don't think it's because they're indifferent...more that they understand that many of us in wheelchairs value what little independence we have, and often want to do things ourselves....and get into trouble (like the gentleman helping his wife down the gangway...not a good idea! :o )

Much appreciate the hints given to date........went over to speciality forum and learned that renting a scooter was a great idea......couple that with idea of early booking to ensure best handicap accessible cabin and we're pretty much up to speed. Final question as it applies to this ship: are there better handicap cabins (with verandas) than others? For example, closer to elevator, less noise from above or below, etc????//

Much appreciate the hints given to date........went over to speciality forum and learned that renting a scooter was a great idea......couple that with idea of early booking to ensure best handicap accessible cabin and we're pretty much up to speed. Final question as it applies to this ship: are there better handicap cabins (with verandas) than others? For example, closer to elevator, less noise from above or below, etc????//

When you call to book you'll find out that there are very few choices to be made...you should probably just call, see what's available, and grab the best you can in your price range. Generally -- but not always -- handicap cabins are somewhat closer to the elevator...but I can't speak to the noise issue. Good luck!

Archived