Sitka Sound Tours

mochuck

I have not been with this company, but I have been out twice with Davey of Esther G. He gives an awesome tour. We saw whales (humpback and grey), harbor seals, otters, bald eagles, puffins, cormorants, muir, star fish. St. Lazarius Island is wonderful for bird viewing! Oh . . . and the last time we saw a mama bear and 2 cubs wandering along the coast! Here is a link:

http://www.puffinsandwhales.com/

Davy's wife also bakes the most wonderful cookies! Nothing like viewing wildlife while munching on delicious cookies!

Yukon,

you mention in one of your other posts about taking the Ester G or Sitka Sound tours, so would you recommend them? We are booked on them for July.

Thanks

I haven't been out with Jim yet (Sitka Sound) but have talked to him a lot over the last year while working on a project with him, and may well go with him next time. Both my trips with Davey on the Esther G have been superb, though.

We did the tour with Sitka Sound Tours and it was great! We saw tons of otters and puffins. I would definitly recommend them! We had a blast!!

Did you see any bears or eagles? How close did Jim get you to the otters?

I'm booked with Jim and I am really looking forward to it, he answered every question (million) he goes out of his way to be helpful and he's answered every email super fast and you can extend the time, he really customizes for you and what you want to do. our date is aug 14th 09. Karon:)

Did you see any bears or eagles? How close did Jim get you to the otters?

We didn't see any bears, but we did go looking for them and we did see eagles. Jim got us as close as he could to the otters. They tend to swim away once they spot the boat. At one point we were so close we could hear the otters communicating to each other. He also found a momma otter with a baby floaing on her stomach.

I have worked with both Dave Lubin and Jim Sealand and both do a excellant tour for wildlife in the sound . I wouldn't recommend one over the other but you will get a good tour from either . If you come to Sitka mid July on you will see otters , whales and puffins any tour you take. All the tours look at the same animals because they are located in a certain area and feed there for weeks at a time. Bears are the one animal that is about a fifty fity proposition sometimes they will be around and sometimes not . Our Browns like to come out in the evenings and later at night.

Jim Phillips fifty two years in sitka

• 2 weeks later...

Let me just say... we have not yet been on this tour but... we are set to go Sept 1st. Captain Jim Seeland has been wonderful to work with. He has worked with us to accommodate our needs and been helpful in any way possible. His rates are reasonable and he is a gem!!!! He responds quickly to emails, he is *extremely* knowledgeable about the Sitka area and like most Alaskans I have met - loves nothing more than to share his knowledge and his town with visitors! I can't wait until we actually get to go on the tour... but I can tell you from the customer service aspect already - it has been well worth it!!!! :)

Archived