Nile cruises

seapenarth

Has anyone done Gate 1 Egypt on MS Neptune? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Stephanie

Used Gate 1 and was extremely pleased. I do not remember the name of the ship, but it was excellent....may have been the Neptune. Our cabin was large, 2 twin beds, sitting area, a French balcony, large closets, and full size bath. There was no up charge for the cabin. The hotels they used on the land portion were also excellent and well located.

• 2 weeks later...

The River Tosca is a great boat, smooth, very well conceived, great amenities, such as pool, bar, deck furniture, large staterooms, good air conditioning, and a very professional crew.

Our group (March 26/10 Jewels of the Nile and Lake Nasser) comprised just 6 people plus our tour guide, Ramadan, who was absolutely excellent. The trip was very educational, and the evenings on the ships were most relaxing.

Thanks Rick & Lynn, ;) for the information about the River Tosca. Do you mean that out of the possible 80 people, there were only 7 people on the boat? I am assuming that you meant that your group was 7, but there were other groups also.

When we go next March, there will be a large group and I don't know how many tour guides. I think there are over 70 in our group. I sure hope we have more than one guide. I guess I should ask the tour agency.

Was there anything in particular that we need to be sure to do? Anything in Cairo that is a "Do not miss"?

Thanks! :)

Judy

Hi,

Bring pepto bismol tablets and take them with EVERY MEAL and make sure you bring an anti-biotic with you in case you get the "cough" thing that goes around. We went in November and my friend just returned this week. She took my advice about the pepto bismol tablets and she and her friend did NOT get the stomach "distress". Drink ONLY bottled water and brush your teeth with it. Our tour was an OMG one and the sights incredible. You will have a wonderful time!!!!!

Sheila

I am taking a Nile Cruise in May 2010. How was your experience? Any tips on cabin location or things to bring on board?

It will be HOT in May. Shorts are frowned upon off the ship as well as sleeveless shirts. Bring a hat to protect your face from the sun.

Do not eat ANY uncooked vegetables or fruit, including salads and fruit juice. Eat only dairy products that have been refrigerated. You must also be careful with bottled water. Check the cap to make sure it has never been opened. I saw locals refilling empty bottles and putting them back in the case for sale. Also check the expiration date on the bottle. Hot tea is a good choice. You can let it cool, but never add ice. Egypt has a variety of excellent tea. Don't brush your teeth or rinse your toothbrush with tap water. I used an anti-bacterial wipe to wash my face, no tap water.

Use anti-bacterial wipes often. Carry them with you, or a hand sanitizer, at all times. I brought a package of baby wipes and put some in a zip lock bag for use off the ship and on tours.

Hi Judy,

I even went further and took acidophilus capsules for two weeks before our trip and during our trip. I had NO stomach distress at all.

Sheila

Thanks Sheila,

I had read something about acidophilus capsules before. Did your doctor at home prescribe them for you or are they OTC? I will definitely look into this.

Judy

Thanks Rick & Lynn, ;) for the information about the River Tosca. Do you mean that out of the possible 80 people, there were only 7 people on the boat? I am assuming that you meant that your group was 7, but there were other groups also.

When we go next March, there will be a large group and I don't know how many tour guides. I think there are over 70 in our group. I sure hope we have more than one guide. I guess I should ask the tour agency.

Was there anything in particular that we need to be sure to do? Anything in Cairo that is a "Do not miss"?

Thanks! :)

Judy

The Tosca can handle around 80. For our trip, I'd say there were about 55 on board. Most were part of another tour, leaving just the six of us who were on the Jewels of the Nile and Lake Nasser trip. Our group got along well, and our table was definitely the most lively on the boat.

Casual dress, no suits or dresses. Take part in Egyptian nights, lots of fun. In the Cairo area, I'd be sure to visit Memphis (colossal statue of Rameses the II) if it's not on your itinerary. I also enjoyed the street life,, both in the Zamalek neighbourhood, behind the Marriott, and across the river in the downtown area, both very short walks. Also enjoyed two great Egyptian meals at a restaurant in Zamalek, which I believe was called Abu al Seyed. It was on July 26 street, i think the number is 157.

Back to the Tosca, Uniworld have done a great job in introducing a higher standard to Nile cruise boats, but as has been mentioned, there were some teething problems at first. All has been made right, but you might notice the odd "fit and finish" issue here and there. No big deal.

Archived