The Swine Flu

escapeperth

I know there has already been discussions on this but wondered if it was only Australia's insurance companys who are bailing out with the Swine Flu.

Today in Australia a 'P & O' ship is currently being 'quarantined' out at sea in the Whitsunday Islands with passengers and staff affected by Swine.

They will come into shore when they have been cleared and hence have missed their cruise etc.

I rang numerous insurance co's today and Celebrity and no one will cover for a refund should the ship not sail due to an epidemic / pandemic. We cruise on July 12th and would like some reassurance of either a refund or a postponement to later cruise (we are in Royal Suite so could make it tricky)

We also have return internat flights for 4 of us and accomod in Vancouver and LA for 14 nights (all of which are non refundable).

Thanks for your input in regards to this - it's a big holiday for us with our two little ones and we want to feel safe that we will not lose our $.

(We won't get swine flu as we are having immunisation prior).

No travel insurances will cover swine flu coverage or antything named a pandemic. You are correct. Cancelling BEFORE the cruise is okay if you have "For any reason" cancelation coverage.

We in the US don't have the opportunity for swine flu vaccinations. By fall when we have our usual flu shots, I think that strain will be included.

Have your family be dilligent about hand washing and keeping your hands away from your faces. The noro virus could hit one or all of you and keep you quarranteed in your room too. Unlikely as the swine flu, but possible.

Quick question: Is there immunization for swine flu? I thought that was going to be possible some time in the future. Had no idea a vaccine was already in use.

No, my understanding is that it is currently being worked on but is not available as of yet. I believe it is hoped that it will be available prior to the 2009-10 flu season (i.e. by early fall or so).

Yes - i did pay by platinum credit card too so I will check that out.

We don't want to cancel now but 1 week before cruise and the Mercury is in quarantine because of this - we might think about it!

Yes - there is an anti viral dose available in Australia for adults and kids - not cheap and i would probably never consider it except under these conditions - we will of course try to maintain optimal hygiene but with a 3 and 5 yr old (and trying to enjoy a holiday!) you know what i mean!!?

Thanks for the info ~

The vaccine used at the moment is called Tamiflu and is manufactured here in Melbourne. The same lab. is also manufacturing 10 million doses of swine flu vaccine for Aussies to be ready by August and has received an order for swine flu vaccine from the US.

The vaccine used at the moment is called Tamiflu and is manufactured here in Melbourne. The same lab. is also manufacturing 10 million doses of swine flu vaccine for Aussies to be ready by August and has received an order for swine flu vaccine from the US.

Tamiflu is currently available by prescription in the United States. I did not realize it was being used as a vaccine though.

I did not realize it was being used as a vaccine though.

It's not here either - the earlier statement was incorrect. It's been given to those who have symptoms or had been exposed to the flu on the cruise ship.

We have been told by our GP that we can have two choices: the vaccine (liquid formula) one week prior to going or we can take Tamiflu with us and take on first sign of symptoms (both posing potential side effects as per any vaccine) We live in West Australia.

Where are you hearing there is a vaccine? It is being worked on but is not expected to be ready for months! Tamiflu is an antiviral drug used to treat the flu - it is not a vaccine. The soonest a vaccine might begin to be available is late June/early July, but it will not be widely available until later than that.

Here is a link to some recent articles (from Australia) regarding their government's action on the Swine flu:

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/stories/2009/05/28/1245b0cb6b7f

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25521624-23289,00.html

Agreed, there's definitely no local claims of a vaccine being available right now. Either the OP has misunderstood, or someone's telling them the wrong story. And if someone's suggesting that it's not available now, but will be ready by July 5 (a week before the cruise) that would be building expectations that may not be met.

Tamiflu has been available in the states for a long time and it is not a vaccine for swine flu prevention. Gonzo is correct.

Your credit card insurance will be basic so don't count on too much from it. Especially for cancelling "for any reason" which would be the only way it might work when a pandemic is involved. Most cruiselines, if having problems, have offered a discount on another cruise if passengers decided not to go with alternate itineraries.

This is not about catching the "flu" - what will happen is the ship will be quarantined (as is happening right now in Australia on P & O ship) and will not continue to cruise - it will sit in the icey straits or similar - not be allowed to enter ports and basically 'quarantine' until the health authorities allow it to move.

Celebrity have told me on the phone 3days ago if this happens they are not refunding any monies.

This is a very real and happening event right now and i guess i just have to make that decision as to whether we risk it (as it is my 40th and a LOT of money)

Thanks all for your input!

Archived