NCL-U Clinics/Tastings

route507too

Hi everyone. I came across some dailies for the Star which I'll be sailing on next month. I noticed several NCL-U events that involved wine tastings, mojito or martini clinics, whiskey and bourbon tastings, beer tasting, etc.

Most of them (maybe all) require a $15.00 fee to attend.

Has anyone tried any of these? Is it worth the $15.00 fee? Do you only get a small taste, or do you actually get to enjoy a drink or two?

Just wondering.

Thanks!

Have done the margarita tasting quite a few times...

Depending on the ship and how they present it, it is definitely worth it IF... the price includes your choice of the best of the items you tasted as a full drink at the end. Not all ships seem to employ this methodology (at least the Sky didn't, but Dawn and Jewel did)

It's quite a fun gathering and you meet some of your fellow passengers this way :) The only caveat is they usually need at least 10 participants to actually hold the event and sometimes that is difficult.

We have loved the margarita and martini clinics and tastings and feel they are an excellent value. We are looking forward to a mojito tasting which has been implemented since our last cruise. One of the best activities for us!

Thanks cliffd and bermuder. I'm glad you could provide some insight on these tastings. I'll have to look into whether or not a full drink is included on the Star when I go. If so, there are a couple of these tastings I'd like to attend. Yum martinis, mojitos and beer. :)

Thanks again.

Thanks cliffd and bermuder. I'm glad you could provide some insight on these tastings. I'll have to look into whether or not a full drink is included on the Star when I go. If so, there are a couple of these tastings I'd like to attend. Yum martinis, mojitos and beer. :)

Thanks again.

While I am sure it is an even better deal with the full drink included, I have not had that experience and still felt we got our money's worth. At most, I have not liked 1 of 4 drinks they have offered. So, even if I wasn't able to swap with my companion (which I usually am), I was still getting 3 drinks for $15. Hard to beat! Plus a good bartender makes it very entertaining. Enjoy!!!!

Make sure you attend the CLINIC vs. the "Madness" (ie. Margarita Clinic vs. Margarita Madeness). There was a thread not so long ago about the "Madness" vs. the Clinic. THe clinic you get your best bang for you buck.

4 (or ,if your lucky, a bonus drink or two) for $15. The Madness, I beleive you get ticket when you buy a margarita and they draw prizes. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

We loved the margarita clinic...great value! We got 6 medium sized drinks...plus chips and guacamole and salsa...a great way to spend an hour.

We originally tried the martini clinic, but were dissapointed because we were expecting flavored type martinis, but the ones being offered were more the traditional type with gin/vodka/vermouth, which we do not enjoy. But the margaritas were just up our alley.

We are considering the pub crawl and the mojito clinic this time around. Is the pub crawl the same concept?

We loved the margarita clinic...great value! We got 6 medium sized drinks...plus chips and guacamole and salsa...a great way to spend an hour.

We originally tried the martini clinic, but were dissapointed because we were expecting flavored type martinis, but the ones being offered were more the traditional type with gin/vodka/vermouth, which we do not enjoy. But the margaritas were just up our alley.

We are considering the pub crawl and the mojito clinic this time around. Is the pub crawl the same concept?

You had SIX drinks in one hour? Good grief - I would be crawling back to my room, if I could find it!!

Flowerchild, don't give up on the martinis! It really varies. We have had wonderful flavored martinis. As I said, sometimes there is one that I don't like - and it is often one of the traditional type you describe. But then there will be 3 or 4 more that are flavored. It is all up to the bartender. You might try talking to the martini guy before deciding whether to sign on. We have had Funky Monkeys, French Martinis, Peach, Apple, Mango, etc. etc.

There were probably 60 or more people at our martini tasting on the first sea day. We each had five drinks, and they were good sized! We had a "regular" martini, apple, lemon, chocolate and a Cosmo. Everyone was pretty giddy by the end of it, so I suspect we all had a healthy buzz. For those who aren't conisseurs of martinis, like us, it was a great chance to try things we haven't had before. They refilled the snack mixes on each table and it was held in Champagne Charlie's. I would recommend it!

We had a lot of fun at the beer tasting on the Dawn last year.

After everyone had left we noticed some leftovers sitting on the side and asked what they were doing with them. Well, they gave them to us.

Then, we also got to return to the pub that evening and show our receipt for the beer tasting and receive 2 free beers.

Honestly, I am a total lightweight, cheap drunk. :o I would like to do the clinic to get some tastes of different drinks, but there is no way I could drink more than a total of a drink or drink and a half. Do you think it's still worth it?

We have done martini and beer clinics. The martini clinic is a must-do. Well worth it and a ,welllll, boatload of fun.

The only problem with the beer clinic is the dearth of drinkable beer on-board a cruise ship. You get a lot of beer, but there's of swill that I'd never actually order. Beer geeks and cruise ships aren't a great match.

I did the margarita clinic last week on the POA. It was $20 for 4, 1/2 size drinks plus guacamole and chips which they replenished when the tray was empty. The bartender running it talked alot about different tequillas and passed some around for everyone to smell.

The only bad part was the end. A gentleman sitting at my table tried to order the last margarita (frozen strawberry) and was told that they don't make that onboard to sell. They only make it for the clinic. Now WHY would they serve you a drink that isn't for sale?? :(

Honestly, I am a total lightweight, cheap drunk. :o I would like to do the clinic to get some tastes of different drinks, but there is no way I could drink more than a total of a drink or drink and a half. Do you think it's still worth it?

Sure! Or do it with a buddy....we saw some folks just buy one tasting and they shared....at least we saw that at the Sangria tasting.

Most of the "tasting" are very informative as well as a good opportunity to try new drinks....DH and I thought they were fun and we met some nice people at each of them.

Hi everyone. I came across some dailies for the Star which I'll be sailing on next month. I noticed several NCL-U events that involved wine tastings, mojito or martini clinics, whiskey and bourbon tastings, beer tasting, etc.

Most of them (maybe all) require a $15.00 fee to attend.

Has anyone tried any of these? Is it worth the $15.00 fee? Do you only get a small taste, or do you actually get to enjoy a drink or two?

Just wondering.

Thanks!

Did the martini tasting....was definitely worth the $15.

I suggest NOT drinking all 5 samples :eek:

(oh and on the Star, they gave us flavored ones. I was even able to substitute Vodka martinis for any gin ones they were sampling)

If you want to try different drinks, it's def. worth it. If drinks are around $8 a piece, and they give you 4-5 drinks, it would have cost you $32-$40. (probably more!) Instead you are only paying $15.

Totally totally worth it. And you can share a taste with a friend. Which is wise because the 5-6 samples are good 1/2 or more portions. Plus each comes with a goodie of sorts. The Martini Clinc came with an olive assortment tasting, the Margarita Clinic came with a guacamole tasting, the Wine Clinic came with a cheese tasting, etc.

Wondeful chance to make new friends. We invited a bunch from Cruise Critic and made our own party out of it.

My GF and I was on the Gem in April. There were 3 martini classes for the most part on sea days. All were different the same bartender and servers but different people which you were able to meet and great and have a good time

Bermuder or anyone else who has done margarita clinics -

Can you remember any of the types they made?

Are they held in the Tex-Mex restaurant?

Any tapas or guacamole available or just the salsa & chips?

Thanks!:)

Yes, it is held in the Tex-Mex restaurant. Funny story, we had a great one on the Dawn and then on the Pearl were excited to go again. We arrived at the time listed on the Freestyle Daily and the bartender was totally surprised. He had no idea it was scheduled. And, we must have been the only people with that particular Freestyle Daily, because no one else showed up either! But he put one on for us - not as elaborate since he hadn't planned and there were only 4 of us, but we had a great time and got to know him really well.

But, sorry too long ago to remember the types - just that we enjoyed them all!

Archived