Star vs. Pearl

Lessa11

Is there a big difference between these ships (cabin size, wear n tear, prettiness, activities, food)? I'm planning a trip to Alaska and the price is lower for the Star than the Pearl, but the Pearl cruises past Glacier Bay and stops in Victoria and the Star goes by Sawyer Glacier and stops in Prince Rupert.

Please tell me how wonderful NCL is because DH wants to go on Princess because it's the only one he's heard of besides Carnival and his friend went on it.

The Pearl is a few years newer than the Star (which may or may not make a difference) and there are some differences in the layout.

The real decider (as it was for us) is that if this is your first time to Alaska, go for Glacier Bay. This is what we were told and our trip was wonderful. We now recommend Glacier Bay to everybody. This can be real important early or late in the season when it may be harder to get close to Sawyer.

thanks for the info. That's why I picked NCL, so many of the other lines don't mention cruising by a glacier. Did you happen to notice if there was an indoor swimming pool that my daughter (11) could go in? Or is it warm enough to swim outside?

I've been on both ships and they're both beautiful! I agree completely with odblnt that you should base your decision on the itinerary. I can't comment on which is better, but you should be able to figure that part out for yourselves. Either ship is going to give you a wonderful on board experience. Think about which itinerary is going to be most enjoyable for you and consider comments like odblnt's about the ports, do a little research, and you'll know which one is most appealing to you based on your interests. :)

thanks for the info. That's why I picked NCL, so many of the other lines don't mention cruising by a glacier. Did you happen to notice if there was an indoor swimming pool that my daughter (11) could go in? Or is it warm enough to swim outside?

It really depends on the time of year. Our Alaska cruise was the last week in June and while the pool was heated, it didn't get a lot of use (especially in Glacier Bay). Around the middle of the summer or down in lower latitudes, the pool gets more use.

No indoor pool (unless you're in a Courtyard Villa on the Pearl) though.

Pete

Here's what I posted earlier on a similar thread. I agree with earlier posts about Glacier Bay. It's not to be missed. Simply breathtaking.

I've been on both ships. Yes they are basically the same, except The Pearl is newer, a little bit "shinier" if you will.

Here's what I remember as differences.

If you are a jogger, The Star is better suited as the track goes all the way around the top of the ship. The Pearl, the track is about half the distance.

The gym, The Star does not have nice views of the water from their cardio machines. They face the wall with mirrors. There's a smoothie bar with various health drinks. The ice cream stand is right there too! =^) The Pearl, their cardio machines face the water with large picture windows. Good for spotting whales while you work out! Both have nice shower facilities and water fountains. The Pearl provides complimentary ice cold towels to cool off your face/body after your workout. Both have aerobic and spin classes for extra fees.

The Star has a helicoptor pad...just in case. O_o

The Pearl has a nice outdoor cafe instead.

The Star has a cute kids waterplay area with hottub and kiddie pool.

The Pearl does too, but it's not as large.

The Pearl has bowling and a rock climbing wall. Neither of these are on The Star.

The Star has a movie theatre with popcorn! The Pearl does not, however you can watch movies in your room.

The Star has many hot tubs. Their spa has an indoor endless lap pool. (Yay!)

The Pearl has an adult only pool with waterfall.

The Bliss Ultra Lounge on The Pearl is crazy fun and beautiful. Their DJ is in tune with the crowd.

The Carousel Lounge on The Star is adequate but uninspired. Their DJ needs to find another job.

The Pearl has a giant Wii screen. The Star doesn't.

Here's what I posted earlier on a similar thread. I agree with earlier posts about Glacier Bay. It's not to be missed. Simply breathtaking.

I've been on both ships. Yes they are basically the same, except The Pearl is newer, a little bit "shinier" if you will.

Here's what I remember as differences.

If you are a jogger, The Star is better suited as the track goes all the way around the top of the ship. The Pearl, the track is about half the distance.

The gym, The Star does not have nice views of the water from their cardio machines. They face the wall with mirrors. There's a smoothie bar with various health drinks. The ice cream stand is right there too! =^) The Pearl, their cardio machines face the water with large picture windows. Good for spotting whales while you work out! Both have nice shower facilities and water fountains. The Pearl provides complimentary ice cold towels to cool off your face/body after your workout. Both have aerobic and spin classes for extra fees.

The Star has a helicoptor pad...just in case. O_o

The Pearl has a nice outdoor cafe instead.

The Star has a cute kids waterplay area with hottub and kiddie pool.

The Pearl does too, but it's not as large.

The Pearl has bowling and a rock climbing wall. Neither of these are on The Star.

The Star has a movie theatre with popcorn! The Pearl does not, however you can watch movies in your room.

The Star has many hot tubs. Their spa has an indoor endless lap pool. (Yay!)

The Pearl has an adult only pool with waterfall.

The Bliss Ultra Lounge on The Pearl is crazy fun and beautiful. Their DJ is in tune with the crowd.

The Carousel Lounge on The Star is adequate but uninspired. Their DJ needs to find another job.

The Pearl has a giant Wii screen. The Star doesn't.

I saw this post on the other thread as well, and I keep coming back to the helicopter pad. I remember seeing the one on the Star, but it was on the Pearl that we actually had a helicopter come and medi-vac a sick child. Until I saw your posts, I never even thought about where they might have landed...

I saw this post on the other thread as well, and I keep coming back to the helicopter pad. I remember seeing the one on the Star, but it was on the Pearl that we actually had a helicopter come and medi-vac a sick child. Until I saw your posts, I never even thought about where they might have landed...

I know. When I first cruised The Pearl, I thought, "hey, where's the helipad?" I was so used to seeing it on The Star and felt comforted that it was there... just in case.

I know. When I first cruised The Pearl, I thought, "hey, where's the helipad?" I was so used to seeing it on The Star and felt comforted that it was there... just in case.

Indeed! Well, at least now when you're on a ship without one, you'll know it can still be done if there's an emergency!

When we were on the Pearl we noticed that the poles around the basketball court were rigged so they could be folded down and used for a landing pad. It looked like it would take a little work though. I'm sure they have the right power tools to make it easy, though.

Archived