Louis Cruise lines Aquamarine Review

rockedge

Quite frankly I was worried after reading the reviews of this ship on the board and went on the trip with some very low expectations. Now that I am back I can say I was pleasantly surprised and the ship and trip was nothing like I read here. I have been on 7 cruises and yes, its an older ship, and could use some updating in both looks and furniture but it was a fun trip with decent food, a very good itinerary, well organized staff that were helpful and friendly and a very nice experience in meeting many different Europeans who were the vast majority of the passengers. The beds definitly need to be replaced but it did not take away from the experience. The stage shows were not the caliber of the major cruise lines, but I wasn't there for that! The price of the shore excursions were quite reasonable which we did in some ports and went on our own in others. Some meals were very good and others were just average, but there wasn't a bad meal the entire trip. I do wish they had either a pizza bar or grill but it was a small ship. The spa was small but nice. So in a nutshell, don't be scared off by this line unless your very particular, want to be pampered or are very fussy.

Thank you for your review. Sounds good. We are booked on 3 day cruise on this ship in Oct. as part of a tour of Greece. We were a little worried. But we are "go with the flow" type people so it should be fine. We just booked an outside stateroom upgrade, with a double bed. What deck were you on? How was the motion?

• 1 month later...

I just got back from a trip to Greece, which included a 3-day cruise to Mykonos, Rhodes, Patmos, and Kusadasi (Ephesus) on the Louis Cruises' Aquamarine. I agree that the ship was a bit "tired", but I had fun and enjoyed seeing these places. I only signed up for one of the tours (the "Ancient Ephesus" tour, which is just like the "Ephesus and House of Mary" tour, except it omits the House of Mary), which cost around 55 euros, I think. That includes the bus trip and a guide and the entrance fee.

The food was OK, and no one in our group got sick as far as I know. I had the Non-Alcohol Unlimited plan which cost 48 euros for 3 days (this plan also included ice cream and some other non-alcoholic treats). I thought the plan was fine, although I probably would not get it again unless the cruise was longer. It certainly did take the pressure off on ordering liquids.

One thing you should know is that these short cruises often have large groups of teenagers traveling with educational tour groups. We were with a group with EFTours, who to my knowledge had 5 groups from the U.S. on this cruise. That is a LOT of teenagers! :eek: - eleanordew

I wanted to take the 3 day tour of the Greek Isles on Oct. 16 and this is the only boat sailing at that time except for Easycruise which I'm discounting as undesirable. I'm somewhat disappointed in that I had wanted to take the tour that omitted Rhodes. However, this is all that's available so guess I'll go for it!

Thanks for the info.

Sanray19

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the info on the Aquamarine. I am taking a combined cruise in September (3 days on Aquamarine and 4 on Aegean Pearl). How is the dress code on board these vessels? Is there enough time in port (considering that some of them are served by tenders) to visit the island? Many thanks

We haven't experienced our cruise yet. We're sailing on the Oct. 2 year end 3 day Legends cruise on the Aegean Pearl. We found outstanding help and advice from Uli Perschau of Dolphin Hellas S.A in Athens. I would suggest contacting her for any questions or bookings you may have. I wouldn't use anyone else for travel advice or bookings in the Athens area. No one will give you better advice or more reasonable bookings. Her contact information is as follows -

e-mail - Uli Perschau [uli@dolphin-hellas.gr] and Tel: +302109227772-5 .

Have a great sail!

sanray19

Many thanks for your tip. Now need to find out how quick disembarcation procedures are in Piraeus in order to book my return flight. Being offered a flight leaving Athens at 14:10 and not sure if I can make it (ship should dock at 07:00 and we should disembark by 09:00 but...) Anybody has any experience of how disembarkation goes in Piraeus? Many thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know what the excursion prices were on the Aquamarine for the 4 night cruise? What were the best....or the worst? Will be leaving on Oct 31st with Friendly Planet for their Athens and extension tour. If anybody returns prior to that could you please let me know your thoughts and possible advice on trips, etc.? Thanks!

Many thanks for your tip. Now need to find out how quick disembarcation procedures are in Piraeus in order to book my return flight. Being offered a flight leaving Athens at 14:10 and not sure if I can make it (ship should dock at 07:00 and we should disembark by 09:00 but...) Anybody has any experience of how disembarkation goes in Piraeus? Many thanks

It was a few years ago, and we were with an organized group(Trafalgar) so our bags were all put out the night before with color coded ribbon. as I recall it didn't take too long to go through the disembarkation procedure BUT it is at least 30-45 minutes on a bus from Piraeus back to Athens and another 30-45 minutes from Athens to the airport. If at all possible, I would suggest staying over-night in Athens the night you return from your cruise and leave the following day. One thing I learned when in Greece (and in several other places) you never know when a glitch is going to happen or how long it will take to fix it in local time!

enjoy, I hope you don't miss too much because of the recent fire damage. It's a wonderful country.:):)

Does anyone know what the excursion prices were on the Aquamarine for the 4 night cruise? What were the best....or the worst? Will be leaving on Oct 31st with Friendly Planet for their Athens and extension tour. If anybody returns prior to that could you please let me know your thoughts and possible advice on trips, etc.? Thanks!

We were on 7 night cruise on Louis Perla. Since I don't know which ports you're going to, I'll give you a brief run down on all of them:

Kusadasi (Ephesus)-if you only do one guided tour, make it this one. With or without the House of the Virgin Mary, Ephesus is a must see place.

Myknonos-no tour necessary. Only thing to see is the windmills and you can walk to them along the harbor, which is lovely, then through the winding streets filled with shops and restaurants. a beautiful place.

Santorini-take the tour that takes you from Oia to Fira. You tender at Santorini and there will be a 100 buses lined up the hill. If you're lucky you'll get on one of the first ones! You'll get a short tour of Oia and then be bused to Fira where you walk on your own to the donkey ride/walk/cable car for the trip down. Take the cable car and don't worry about the line. Our guide told us Santorini is the only port where they will not leave without you because they are in contact with the cable car and know how long the line is! Don't walk or take the donkey. (See my report on trip advisor).

Rhodes-tours offered, not necessary. Old city is what you're there for and depending on where you're docked you'll either be able to walk to it or there will be a bus that just keeps making a circular loop. Do the museum.

Crete-take the tour, you'll never find the ruins on your own! and they are worth seeing.

Patmos-take a taxi to the Cave of the Revelation. You don't need a tour.

Think that covers them all. we also went to Istanbul but I think that's only offered on the 7 day cruise. If you stop there, take the tour, you'll never have enough time to do the museum, hagia sofia and blue mosque on your own. Lines and traffic are fierce.

Hope that helps.

Hi Hydrokitty,

Many thanks for the information which I find useful as my two cruises (back to back) will touch most of these ports.

One of the ships is the Aegean Pearl, which used to be called Perla. How did you find the ship? I know it is smaller and older than the average cruise ships of today but did you find it comfortable?

I am definitely planning to do the excursion to Ephesus and the one to Knossos Palace from Iraklion, but was not sure about Patmos. Is it worth a visit to the monastery?

Many, many tanks

It was a few years ago, and we were with an organized group(Trafalgar) so our bags were all put out the night before with color coded ribbon. as I recall it didn't take too long to go through the disembarkation procedure BUT it is at least 30-45 minutes on a bus from Piraeus back to Athens and another 30-45 minutes from Athens to the airport. If at all possible, I would suggest staying over-night in Athens the night you return from your cruise and leave the following day. One thing I learned when in Greece (and in several other places) you never know when a glitch is going to happen or how long it will take to fix it in local time!

enjoy, I hope you don't miss too much because of the recent fire damage. It's a wonderful country.:):)

Thanks also for the info on disembarkation. As it happens the ship should arrive at 07:00 and my flight is at 14:00. There was no possibility to take a later flight at a good fare... I will do an overnight stay before boarding the cruise though.

Many thanks

Hi Hydrokitty,

One of the ships is the Aegean Pearl, which used to be called Perla. How did you find the ship? I know it is smaller and older than the average cruise ships of today but did you find it comfortable?

I am definitely planning to do the excursion to Ephesus and the one to Knossos Palace from Iraklion, but was not sure about Patmos. Is it worth a visit to the monastery?

Of course! Perla means Pearl! We found it very comfortable. We took an upgraded cabin on an upper deck and were very pleased. Cabin is small but not cramped and since this is not a destination ship you really don't spend much time in it. Bathroom is size of a closet! When I dropped the soap in the shower I had to actually get out of the shower, pick up the soap and get back in! :D We did not experience ANY of the complaints that I read about on Trip Advisor and found the food to be more than adequate and often delicious. Breakfast was buffet; lunch was sit down in the dining room or buffet on the deck and dinner was assigned seating with a complete menu. If they still do them, the cold soups at lunch were divine!! At lunch and dinner if you didn't like the main course selections you could always get a hamburger (lunch) chicken or pasta (dinner). I'm Italian and I'll tell you pasta was pretty good.

Re: Patmos...I don't want to cause any offense so let me say this. If you are very religious go to the Cave; I didn't do the monastery because of the climb and the weather (it was pouring sheets of rain). My bottom line is if offered a chance to go to Patmos again, I would not....I would either stay on the ship or spend the time in the little shops in the port, which looked lovely.

Knossos was also amazing.:)

Thanks also for the info on disembarkation. As it happens the ship should arrive at 07:00 and my flight is at 14:00. There was no possibility to take a later flight at a good fare... I will do an overnight stay before boarding the cruise though.

Many thanks

If I did the addition right:D you have about 7 hours to get from ship to airport....since you're flying from one EU country to another, I don't think you need to be at the airport as far ahead of time as we did..I think 7 hours should be sufficient!:)

Are you doing Istanbul as well? If so, take the all day tour that brings you back to the ship for lunch. Two reasons: One you've already paid for the lunch and two, you'll need the break. It's a wonderful tour of the city and you avoid the lines at the Mosque, Hagia Sofia and Topkapi.

Many, many thanks for all the info. Looking forward tothe cruises (three days on Aquamarine and four on Aegean Pearl). I am a member of the Ocean Liner Society and they organise every year a cruise on 'not-so-well-known' or special interest ships, etc. Next year should be a cruise on the Bleu de France (ex-Europa). Booked Aegean Pearl and Aquamarine through an travel agent in London (the Society always choose one as it is not a travel agent itself).

Unfortunately we will not be going to Istanbul :-( but thanks for the tip

• 1 month later...

This is an old ship. Do not expect to have the ship be "the destination" as is now common with the bigger, better, brighter and bling-y new mass market vessels. Consider this ship as viable transportation between some great islands in Greece and an awesome stop in Kusadasi (Ephesus).

I've been on 16 or 17 cruises and this was nothing like the others. However, I wasn't disappointed. The ship is clean, the food is acceptable, the staff is helpful, the cabins are functional and the beds are horizontal. :rolleyes: Just go with it, enjoy the sites and you'll be just fine!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On the Lewis cruise ships where they do two ports in one day it seems to me you might not have time to eat meals on the ship.

For example if the boat docks at the port for Ephesus at 7am and the bus departs immediately, you could not have breakfast unless it starts earlier.

If you are in a port in the evening I can see the same problem unless there are extended meal times.

What times can you get meals served onboard?

Is there a constantly working buffet?

Is there a laundromat on the Louis ships? Or only expensive service? Has anyone tried to do laundry while in port at Santorini? There is a laundromat in the guide books, but hours not given. Santorini is an evening stop.

I didn't seek a laundry on board, but I would highly doubt it. The Aquamarine was originally put into service in the 70's (RCCL ship) and doesn't appear to have been retrofitted much. You might check on the destination boards to inquire about the availability of laundry facilities at specific ports, and people's experience trying to use them.

Archived