Alaska rail from Seward to Anchorage

sunshine 229

I've been looking forward to taking this train ride which promises fantastic scenery however, since the train leaves Seward at 6PM and arrives in Anchorage at 10 PM I am wondering how much of the trip will actually be in daylight in the middle of September. Not much point taking a scenic ride in the dark.

Also where in Anchorage does the train end up ? I thought I had read that it went to the airport but the address of the terminal does not seem to agree with this.

In September there is about 13 hours of daylight. You should be pulling into Anchorage just about sunset if not slightly after. As for the depot...I know there is the Alaska Railroad Corporation building in downtown on First street but I also think there is a depot that is on International Airport Road which is the Sheffield Depot, not too far from the airport.

I haven't take the train from Seward to Anchorage but hear its the best scenic ride there is on a train. I live in Alaska so I see everything from the roads.

I talked to a gentleman in Anchorage when I was looking at logistics of getting from train station to airport and he told me that there are plenty of taxis at the train station when it comes in. Since we are renting a car from the airport (so we can conveniently drop it off when we leave), we are taking a cab over to the airport and he told us it would run about $20.00 from the terminal to the taxi. He said take a yellow cab as they are cheaper than the other cab company whose name now escapes me.

The Train will go to the Downtown Depot, not the Airport Depot.

Asking an slightly different question....Can you CATCH the Anchorage- Seward train at the airport??? as we're staying at an Airport hotel. They offer free shuttle from Airport & TO triain, ...I guess I just answered my question in my own mind, as these are first come first served seats right?? by the time it gets to the Airport we'd be in all inside seats! So get there early if you want a good seat.

If you are on the 6:45am train to Seward, it is at the Downtown Depot.

The Cruise Train to Seward might be at the Airport Depot, if you bought it for a cruise transfer.

So there are two seperate trains to Seward? A cruise one and a non-cruise one?

Which makes me wonder, is there a cruise train back from Seward to Anchorage too and if so when does it run and do you have to buy the ticket through the cruiseline or can you purchase it direct through Alaska Rail?

We had booked the bus transfer from the Anchorage airport to Seward two weeks ago and when we arrived at the airport we paid an upgrade fee and took the train from the airport train depot to Seward where the train dropped us off right at the ship.... the ride was very scenic and the cars and service were great!

Archived