'Migration forms' for Russia?

When are migration forms provided for passengers on private tours in St Petersburg? We have a tour scheduled with SpB and have tickets issued from them but have not received 'Migration Forms'. I understand that other tour operators send them out as part of their tickets. We are on NCL who states that they will issue the forms to those on their tours.

We leave in two days and hope to have this question answered by then.

Thank you!

When are migration forms provided for passengers on private tours in St Petersburg? We have a tour scheduled with SpB and have tickets issued from them but have not received 'Migration Forms'. I understand that other tour operators send them out as part of their tickets. We are on NCL who states that they will issue the forms to those on their tours.

We leave in two days and hope to have this question answered by then.

Thank you!

Are you talking about a visa for Russia? From what I understand from SPB, they have a blanket visa policy where they register you for a visa once you send in your passport information. I'm not sure they actually issue a visa as a paper document or not though.

Hi Barbara

do't worry ;) migration forms are availiable on board. you will have to to hand it to imigration officer along with your tour ticket

That you for your reply! I will look for it onboard!:D

That you for your reply! I will look for it onboard!:D

NCL provided these "landing cards", or whatever they are called, in our cabins two nights before we arrived at St. Petersburg. We were on a private (DenRus) tour. They also provide a sample of how to fill-out these fairly simple forms, as well as instructions as to how these forms are to be used. So, to re-cap, on day 1 you will need: passport, photocopy of the ID page of your passport (NCL makes a copy for you as you board in Dover), your tour ticket, and the landing card.

Are you talking about a visa for Russia? From what I understand from SPB, they have a blanket visa policy where they register you for a visa once you send in your passport information. I'm not sure they actually issue a visa as a paper document or not though.

That is a misconception, there is no such thing as a blanket visa or cruise visa.

The cruise passenger visa waiver law has no "visa" connected to it. I know some tour companies make its aid but it does not exist.

Come and leave on the cruise ship, stay in the city for 72 or less, don't use land based accommodations, have a valid passport and be hosted by a tour company of their sub contractor....those are the conditions, if you have them you automatically have the visa free entry.

The Migration card is a small sheet of paper with identical forms on both the left and right half of the face. It asks for passport info, name, sponsor, dates of entry and exit. Both halves are filled out with the same information. Wen going through passport control the immigration officers tears off the entry side and returns the other half to you to put in your passport. When embark on the last evening the second half is turned in. It has been used for land and air entry for 4 years.

The ship is required by law to provide one for each person going ashore so you will not have any trouble getting one. Each is uniquely numbered so you can't use photocopies of one. It is supposed to be filled in with a black ink pen, not blue.

Expect to find a different system in place if you come later in the summer. The new adoption of using this form and the slow process they are using this summer for registering your entry has been a nightmare. The change will likely come from the tremendous outcry over missed tours, 2-3 hours standing in line and overall chaos that has resulted from the new process. In years past an entire ship could disembark in 20-30 minutes.Complaints are poring in over the change. The only way to fix the problem is to go back to the system that worked so well for years. The hardest hit tours are ship tours, some 4 hour tours are getting off 30 minutes before they are scheduled to return to the ship for mid-day meal/break..

That is a misconception, there is no such thing as a blanket visa or cruise visa.

The cruise passenger visa waiver law has no "visa" connected to it. I know some tour companies make its aid but it does not exist.

Come and leave on the cruise ship, stay in the city for 72 or less, don't use land based accommodations, have a valid passport and be hosted by a tour company of their sub contractor....those are the conditions, if you have them you automatically have the visa free entry.

Strange considering that's what Holland America calls it in their correspondence to me from their Head Office in Seattle. :confused:

Strange considering that's what Holland America calls it in their correspondence to me from their Head Office in Seattle. :confused:

Ask them to quote the law. They can't. They have nothing to do with Russian immigration, their tour contractor is the only entity recognized by the government regarding ship tour members getting visa free status, the ship has no say in it.

Does it make sense that the office staff, sitting in a phone boiler room, would have any knowledge of Russian laws, in Russian language? They repeat the same talking points because they would have no knowledge of what the facts are.

When they repeat distortions or downright lies every day to their customers, it is marketing, not maritime or immigration law. How many millions of people over the years have been told they can't get off the ship unless they are booked with the cruise line? You all know that is a lie. How many times have the said you need a personal visa if you do not book with them? You know that is a lie. So why would they suddenly start telling the truth about the status of your entry?

The one reason they lie about these facts is to control you, and to intimidate you into canceling private tours. It works on 80%++ of the passengers who are just afraid of booking a better, lower cost and less crowded tour in fear of angering the ship or being left behind, a common claim.

Some cruise lines are worse than others, Princess might be the worst but they all do it to in varying degrees. The UK based cruise lines seem to be more honest and do not attempt to intimidate their passengers.

Archived