Live Blogging from Veendam in Alaska May 30 - June 7

Erica@cruisecritic

Erica

Great u r doing this....we r on the Veendam on 6/21....first time in Alaska & first time on HAL. We r planning on "doing our own thing" in the ports so I am definitely interested in hearing about your excursions / activities in Juneau & Ketchican......hope u have great weather!! We r counting our days down! :)

brian

Erica: I hope you have a lovely day in Vancouver. It's supposed to be a nice warm day on Saturday. The Capilano Suspension Bridge and Granville Island Market are what my niece and her boyfriend did last weekend as tourists from Oregon. We took a drive past several of our beaches and through the University of B.C. We saw the sunset from the beach at Spanish Banks - but you can see it also from English Bay near the downtown area. You get a great view of the mountains and sea as the sun goes down.

Thanks for doing your blog.

I am looking forward to your reports!!! We will be on the Veendam in August for our first Alaska cruise. We ended up in what I guess, is a new cabin, 223. We have been in an aft cabin and are curious as to what it will be like.

Have a great cruise and thanks in advance for the reports!!

Elaine

My sister and I will be taking the Veendam from Vancouver to Seward on June 14, so I'll be following your blog carefully. I read several very negative reviews about the Veendam since it's re-launch. I'm hoping you'll tell us it's all in the past. I have two real questions. First, he weather and what to wear. I live in Maryland and don't have a good idea of the clothing I'll need. Second, if you run into anyone who is taking the Zip-line at Bear Creek some info please. I signed up for this zip-line shore excursion, but am really worried that I'm not in good enough shape to handle it.

Looking forward to hearing your experiences.

We'll be staying at that hotel too. My sister (an Alaska resident and several time visitor to Vancouver) is excited about the hotel. She said it must be new.
I don't think so. We first stayed at the Pan Pacific (across the street over the cruise pier - just an elevator ride to check-in for the cruise!!!) in 2003. The Fairmont was across the street then. According to what I've found on-line, it was built in 1991 and renovated in 2000. It is a beautiful hotel in an excellent location for cruising and the proximity to Gas Town.

My sister and I will be taking the Veendam from Vancouver to Seward on June 14, so I'll be following your blog carefully. I read several very negative reviews about the Veendam since it's re-launch. I'm hoping you'll tell us it's all in the past. I have two real questions. First, he weather and what to wear. I live in Maryland and don't have a good idea of the clothing I'll need. Second, if you run into anyone who is taking the Zip-line at Bear Creek some info please. I signed up for this zip-line shore excursion, but am really worried that I'm not in good enough shape to handle it.

I've done Alaska 4 times and have never needed more than a light jacket.

Bring some gloves, jeans, and shirts that can be layered. Sneakers are good enough. No boots necessary.

As for the zipline. I did it in Ketchikan and it was easy as pie. No physical exertion was needed. I actually found it boring. Hope Bear Creek is more fun!

I'll be on the Veendam in Sept. Looking forward to following this thread.:D

Jill

I've done Alaska 4 times and have never needed more than a light jacket.

We needed heavier coats on the boat tours, in May. The best photo ops are on the ship's bow, and that wind can get you. But wearing layered shirts would work, too, and is probably better. Our last go of Alaska, we had to buy the souvenir T-shirts in the ports to add layers.

We needed heavier coats on the boat tours, in May. The best photo ops are on the ship's bow, and that wind can get you. But wearing layered shirts would work, too, and is probably better. Our last go of Alaska, we had to buy the souvenir T-shirts in the ports to add layers.

I should have included that I'm going through some major "HOT FLASHES".:D

Hireland I'll be on your ship too, join us on our Roll Call:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=906773

I am really looking forward to this blog, I hope HAL has all the problems straightened out.

Hireland I'll be on your ship too, join us on our Roll Call:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=906773

I am really looking forward to this blog, I hope HAL has all the problems straightened out.

I do too. I am scheduled to be on this ship in September and hope all problems are ironed out. I have never sailed on Holland America...so I was getting excited.

I do too. I am scheduled to be on this ship in September and hope all problems are ironed out. I have never sailed on Holland America...so I was getting excited.

I am on the June 7th sailing, so I too am looking forward to a current report of the state of the Veendam. Hopefully the ship and the crew have had a chance to recover from a very rough start...

I am not looking for perfection, but I have high hopes that the level of chaos that was described on the May 1 sailing is no longer there...

So our flight got into YVR at midnight -- not my favorite time of day to arrive in a strange city. But Vancouver makes everything so easy. Border control is -- get this -- beautiful with a water feature and wooden totem poles, and even video marketing the Olympic Games (in Vancouver in 2010) to watch while you wait in line. Lines were long, but they moved quickly, and we were through to baggage claim in no time.

Once you pass into the main arrivals hall, there's an information desk on your way out (still staffed at 12:30 am) and several ATMs on either side of the desk to take out Canadian currency. As it was late, we planned to take a cab, and the information desk staffer knew how much a cab to the Fairmont Waterfront was so we knew how much cash we definitely needed.

The taxi stand is just across the street from the arrivals hall exit. I think the cab ride was about 20 minutes (wasn't focusing too well at this point) and you get a great view of the city as you come over the bridge into downtown.

The Fairmont Waterfront is literally across the street from Canada Place, which houses the cruise terminal. Our room is spacious, with a big bathroom and fancy citrus-scented bath products. We were asleep in minutes!

We woke early this morning as the sun streamed in through the windows. Definitely shut those blackout curtains! I looked out at our view -- the beautiful backside of a Princess cruise ship. Did I mention the cruise port is right across the street?

Not in the mood for a pricey hotel breakfast, we went to the mall and food court located on the basement level of the hotel, where there are plenty of places for bagels, coffee, breakfast pastries, etc. The conveniently located shopping center also has a sundries shop, post office, gift stores and a Sky Train stop.

Outside, the sky was blue and the weather warm -- even at 9 am. We decided to make the most of the sunshine and, after picking up a map at the tourist information center around the corner, began a walk along Vancouver's sea wall. We passed by HAL's Zuiderdam on the other side of Canada Place, gazed across the water at snow-topped mountains and watched sea planes taking off from the water.

We walked all the way to Stanley Park, Vancouver's marquee green space. It's got everything -- an aquarium, totem park, pool, beaches, forested trails, restaurants with sea views, and paths for biking, rollerblading, jogging and walking. If you're not into so much walking, you can take a bus from downtown, and a free shuttle runs in the park beginning in mid-June. You can also rent bikes downtown.

It's kind of mind-boggling to sit on a beach, looking out over mountains with snow on our peaks, knowing that you're in the middle of a city and that tomorrow you'll be boarding a cruise to Alaska!

And here's a tip for outdoors fan -- bring sunscreen. I must have glaciers on the brain because I wasn't prepared for how sunny it was. My one morning coat of SPF 30 was not good enough and my arms are now sunburned. Who'd have thought I'd come home from my Alaska trip with a tan?! Hopefully, the warm weather will stay with us up into the Inside Passage.

We ate dinner at the Herons Restaurant in the hotel. It features regional cuisine and wines. And talk about eating locally -- the Fairmont Hotel has a rooftop garden where they grow herbs and edible flowers to use in the dishes. And new last year, the hotel began keeping honey bees to make its own honey for the restaurant. Alas, the honey harvest isn't until August, and they've run out of last year's stash.

But the meal was fabulous -- I had gnocchi with morel mushrooms and pan-seared halibut with heirloom carrots from the garden. The views were great too. Although on the ground floor, the restaurant has floor to ceiling windows looking out over the port and across to the mountains. And tonight was the Canadian equivalent of prom night, so we had the pleasure of watching teenage girls in brightly colored gowns and boys in tuxedos pile out of SUV limos on their way into the Pan Pacific hotel for a dance party.

Tomorrow, it's our turn to celebrate -- we're boarding Veendam!

Hi Erica - I just got off the Zuiderdam today where we did a 7-day Vancouver-Alaska-Vancouver cruise. I hope the weather gods smile on your trip. We had drizzly rainy weather in Skagway and Ketchikan but Tracy Arm, Juneau and Glacier Bay managed to keep the "liquid sunshine" in the clouds.

Maybe we passed each other while standing in our respective lines at Canada Place this morning. :)

I, like you, arrived late at night (around 12:30AM my time, after a day at work, so I understand your exhausted bleary-eyed feeling) and had a full day to explore Vancouver before my ship sailed on Sat., 5/23. If you didn't get to Capilano Suspension Bridge, I highly recommend it for a future trip. It's a sensual extravaganza and a great prelude for the nature and beauty you're about to behold in Alaska.

What are your ports and scenic cruising places of call? I'm looking forward to reliving the majesty of where I've just returned from through your words. Each time I set sail, I have these lofty intentions of blogging and adding a few pics. But after a couple of days, I get completely caught up in vacation mode and can't find the energy or drive to sit down and get to work. I'm pretty sure alcohol consumption and 5-course meals attribute to my lethargy when I finally return to my stateroom at night. ;) Then the next day begins with excursions and other activities (some not so "active" :)) and the cycle begins again....

I'm interested in your stateroom location so I can compare it to my stern wake-view balcony. I revel in lazing around the room and enjoying the fabulous views afforded from a stern balcony. Getting dressed for human eyes can be a challenge some days so having my own sanctuary is so nice when those moods hit.

I'll tune in tomorrow (er....today -- my internal clock is still 3 hours behind) for the next report. May smooth seas and good weather bless your voyage.

Diane

Dear Erica!

Enjoy the cruise, i'm sure your Alaskan experience will give you fond everlasting memories of a beautifull country!

Looking forward to your blogreports, i'm specifically interested in all the new 'Signature of Excellence' features onboard. We will join the Veendam in december for a South Amrica/ Antarctica cruise. So let us know how the cabins are, how the public spaces look etc! What is your opinion!

Thank you!

Greetings,

Mark

Rotterdam, the Netherlands

I'm looking forward to any info you can give about the lanai cabins. We're booked in one for a Bermuda cruise. Could you please comment about the noise level in them. I've heard it can be quite noisy in the early morning when the crew cleans the deck. We're sound sleepers but I would like to know. Also, I'm interested to know if there is noise through the ceiling from the public rooms above. The lanai cabins sound like a great option, so I'm hoping you love yours. Thank you for sharing your experiences.

Erica,

Thanks for taking the time to write about your trip and the Veendam. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time as that is such a beautiful part of the world!

I look forward to your overall assessment of the Veendam since I will be on that ship later this year for a So. American / Antarctic trip (and we will be on the ship for 3 weeks!). Thanks again.

Have a GREAT trip!

We will do your reverse cruise in July . Can you recomend Hotels in Vancouber ,seward and anchorage . Is it worthwhile to bring obsevation binoculars like the super large ones , rain suits what clothing , buy the boat tours at each port or go on your own etc . I will have my eyes pinned to your blog . Please tell us if the non covered restaaurants are wothwhile . And in general how to keep costs down on the HAL veen and still have a good time with a 16 yo girl along with her parents . Halibut vs salmon charter.thanks

Since Veendam's just coming off a pretty major refurb, could you check and see what Eurodam-inspired features have come to the ship? Very curious (am reviewing Eurodam for Cruise Critic in July!).

Thanks, Erica.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

Arrived back today from 14 day BTB on Veendam. Not a happy camper! 7 days with no heat in our room, needed 4 extra blankets and all I received was a sympathetic smile and told they were looking in to it!

Sure seemed like less crew in dining areas and bars. Weather was great!!! No rain even on return to Ketchican although it was raining prior to docking. The best on board entertainment was Ryan with Digital Workshop in Queens room(sorry I didn't attend until second week) he made my pictures tell stories. All these lessons and FREE PROGRAMS.

Hi Erica!

I have tons of questions so I hope you're up for them and comfy!!

I'm going on the Veendam on June 28th from Vancouver to Seward. I am arriving in Vancouver at 10:30 am and the ship leaves at 5pm. I was wondering what places I could visit in the short amount of time I have in Vancouver.

Do any of the port info booths sell the toursaver coupon books and if so how much are they? Do the info booths seem to sell out of excursions quickly or do they offer discounts for last minute trips?

What are the minimum amounts to bet on blackjack and roulette? What ship activities are offered? How is the food onboard? I heard you have to pay for ice cream and soda, is that true?

Which is the best totem place in Ketchikan? I'm going Kayaking through Southeast Kayaks...what other attractions are good to go to?

How are the rainforests?

I heard the misquitos are bad, is this true?

How close are the rental car companies to the Skagway port? I was thinking of going with Avis. If you go to Emerald Lake/Yukon out of Skagway, how long did the trip take you? What else is there to do in Skagway?

Is a winter jacket necessary or should I just bring a light jacket?

What is the transportation like there when you get off of the ship at each port? Are there shuttles or buses all over the place and how much do they charge?

How much time should we set aside for the Roberts Tram in Juneau? Did you eat at the restaurant there...was it good? Did you see much wildlife up there as well as on the ship? Did you see bears anywhere?

I did the online check-in already but was wondering how long it takes to board. Also, I noticed that when the cruise is over the ship offers transportation to anchorage. I also noticed that the transportation leaves at 6am...but that is the same time the cruise docks and on the HAL website it states to allow 2-3 hours to disembark. I was wondering if it was a misprint or if they change the time their transportation leaves to allow time to disembark. I tried emailing them a few weeks ago regarding this but I never heard back. Do they still not offer express baggage service when departing in Seward? That would be a shame :(

Did you go to the exit glacier in Seward? Was it worth it? What other transportation methods are available in Seward to get to the Anchorage airport? My flight will leave at 4:30pm. Are there any other quick things to see or do that are worthwhile in Seward and/or Anchorage?

Thanks so much in advance for taking the time out of your trip to answer my questions!

Julie

So sorry for not posting earlier, but Wi-Fi on Veendam is anything but stellar. I failed to connect in my room, then took my laptop up to the Explorations Café where I wrote an entire post then had the computer crash as I posted submit. The resident Techspert told me that Wi-Fi is really only available in the Explorations Café or in the lounge across the way.

Other than that little snafu, my first impressions of the ship have been good. The layout is different from Holland America's Westerdam, which I'd been on before, so it's taking me more time to find my way around. I'm so used to traveling on carbon-copy sister ships that I think I've forgotten what it's like to be lost on a ship, not knowing where anything is.

I'm posting this message from Deck 8, which I can tell will be the entertainment hub of the ship. Located on this deck are most of Veendam's bars and lounges sandwiched in between the upper tiers of the Rotterdam Dining Room and the Showroom at Sea. Here you'll find the Ocean Bar, Mix (with its cluster of martini, champagne and spirits bars), the Explorer's Lounge, Explorations Café and Pinnacle Grill. I was surprised at how modern some of the décor is. The Champagne Bar has crushed velvet couches and comfy chairs and the Explorations Café sports some very edgy wooden chairs around a long table. But then elsewhere on the ship, you find marble busts and antique swords. I'm not entirely sure what the overall theme is.

However, I have found what I'm sure will soon be the most coveted spot on the ship. The Explorations Café has several brown leather chairs with footrests -- perfect for kicking back -- facing floor-to-ceiling windows. It's an ultra-comfortable spot for scenic cruising through Alaska, searching for whales while you sip your latte. I wonder if people will start reserving them like deck chairs…

Archived