Live Blogging from Veendam in Alaska May 30 - June 7

Erica@cruisecritic

Thank you for your very informative and interesting posts, Erica.

I will be taking my 84-year old mother on the Veendam July 12 sailing for the Alaska cruise which she has wanted, but insisted on postponing, for many years.

Sightseeing will be by far the most important element in the cruise for her. I've been distressed to read, in some of the reviews of Veendam here in Cruise Critic since her drydock, complaints that most of the windows were so dirty/scratched/cloudy that sightseeing from the indoor public areas was not very possible or enjoyable, even from the Crow's Nest.

Weather-protected, inside scenic viewing much of the time will be so important for my mother that I very well might have booked with RCCL, due to good experience in the past with the expansive, well maintained windows in the public spaces of their Radiance and Vision class ships, were it not that HAL's Glacier Bay itinerary seemed superior. It's hard for me to imagine that especially as Veendam is cuising in a region where the vistas are a major focus for many people, Holland America would allow such a condition as I've read about in these current reviews to occur. Did you notice this substandard window cleanliness to be true, or would you say these reports were exaggerated?

My mother will be in a wheelchair most of the time. Despite my screen name, neither of our rooms will have a balcony this trip. Was there any outside area of the ship for which the sight lines (particularly absence of solid railings, or a usual solid row of people, blocking views) seemed particularly good for people sitting in a wheelchair and attracted a lot of them? The same question concerning inside public viewing areas?

Reviews have also said that dinner in the main dining room were taking inordinately long because wait staff were unusually inflexible, more so than on other cruises, about not allowing some people at the table to progress to the next course until all at the table are finished with the current one, even if some are ordering multiple servings.

We have requested a table for eight because I think talking to others about their travels, and about the shore excursions on this cruise which she will be unable to take because of her physical condition, will be something she will enjoy greatly. But she is also a light and fast eater and does not like to linger at the table after she is full. On your cruise, did you find this policy of service to be in effect and lengthening table time out of the usual proportions?

I did not remember mention of two well loved HAL traditions and wondered if they were not carried out on your cruise: the staff circulating with handchimes to announce dinner, and the late night chocolate buffet.

I've asked more than I expected to, but thanks for your consideration!

Hi MrBalcony,

I admit I spent most of my time outdoors. However, when I was inside, I never had a problem seeing out the windows. Were the reviews you read prior to May? The ship has had a comprehensive refurbishment since then.

Indoors, the best viewing areas are the Crow's Nest on Deck 12 and the Explorer's Lounge on Deck 8. All outdoor areas must have rails, but I would recommend either the Deck 6 Promenade or the Deck 11 Retreat for your mom. Many of the forward-facing outer decks are accessed by stairs only, but tend to be more popular, so you would have a better chance of getting a good spot on the two decks I mentioned.

As for dining, I did find that dinner took a long time -- the shortest dinner we had in the main dining room was 1.5 hours. I was on the open seating plan, but I know that typically on cruise ships they treat a set-seating table as one group and do the courses at the same time. You have a couple of options. You could try the first night and if it's slow, ask your waiter if you could have a speedier service. You could try to switch to open dining -- we had no trouble getting our dessert before the other couple at our table finished their main courses one evening. Or you could alternate eating longer meals in the dining room and shorter meals at the buffet or Canaletto.

And, yes, the staff does circulate with the hand chimes before dinner, and the late night chocolate buffet was on the second to last night of the cruise.

Enjoy your trip!

Erica...If you have time for one last query. In your opinion is a do-it-yourself rental car trip a good way to take in as much of Skagway as possible? Thanks for all your info -- it will greatly enhance our Southbound trip in late Aug.

Erica...If you have time for one last query. In your opinion is a do-it-yourself rental car trip a good way to take in as much of Skagway as possible? Thanks for all your info -- it will greatly enhance our Southbound trip in late Aug.

It depends on what you mean by Skagway. The town itself is tiny, and you can see all of Skagway town on foot. There is only one road out of Skagway and that's the scenic Klondike Highway that parallels the rail line and leads into Canada and the Yukon. If you're interested in seeing this part of Alaska/Canada (and for full disclosure, I haven't done the trip yet), you can do a bus tour, take the train or rent a car. The upside to a car rental is that it can be cheaper if you have a group and you can take your time driving. The downside is that one person has to drive (meaning that person can't look at the scenery as much) and I don't know how treacherous the roads get when it's wet.

If you're interested in scenic touring, I'd recommend that you post a message on these Alaska boards and ask how people liked the different trip options. I'd also suggest calling the tourist office in the area and asking about August road conditions. If you do drive, the Mile Post is the drivers' bible in Alaska, with information on every mile of Alaskan roadway. There was a copy in Veendam's library but you might want to bring your own.

The drive into the Yukon offers some of the most beautiful scenery in that part of the world. The road is very good with no steep climbs or hairpin turns. It is a very easy drive. Even the driver has a chance to look at the scenery because there is almost no traffic and you can drive slowly if you wish. There are also many areas to pull off the road. Renting a car in Skagway is still one of our favorite excursions in our 3 trips to AK. We did the motorcoach trip on our 1st cruise and liked the car trip much better. Even my DH, who did all of the driving, preferred the car. There were 4 of us and we saved a lot of money by renting a car instead of taking the train or the motorcoach trip.

Thanks everyone for following my blog last week. I'm signing off, but enjoy your upcoming Alaska cruises -- I hope you all have as great weather as I had on my trip. And definitely let us know how your vacations go -- either here on the boards or by posting a member review. We love to read 'em!

Thanks Erica and judynorth....fyi -- there will be five of us, two couples and a 13-year old, so judy I think you sold me on the car....the comments on this blog have been invaluable...thanks to all.

Be sure to reserve your car as soon as possible. I would recommend that you call Avis rather than trying to book online. I know that you will enjoy the trip. It is beautiful beyond words!

My wife and I are first time cruiser's and leave June 22nd for a HAL southbound begining in Fairbanks. We would like all the information we can get, especially in regards to the land excursions. We are new to crusing and this board. It has been a wealth of information. Big debate is wether to do the White Pass Summit Club. Heard that if it's a cloudly day that it's a waste of time.

Thanks Judy for all of your input....I have had the car booked for about 10 days now, so I think we're set.

Great! I hope you have weather as nice as we had. It was beautiful the day that we drove into the Yukon. Do you have Murray's Guide? It is a great help but not necessary. I hope you report back on your cruise.

• 1 month later...

Hi. Can you please give as much information as possible on the Lanai rooms? Of course, they are a much better price than Verandahs, but they worry me a bit. We are looking at the South America/ Antartica cruise and it is 20 days!

Aloha, lanai cabin!

My cabin is one of Veendam's new lanai cabins, a unique twist on a balcony cabin. The word "lanai" is the Hawaiian word for a verandah -- and I'm amused to be sailing in a tropically named cabin as I cruise to see icy glaciers. The Deck 6 cabins are the same size as the outside cabins on this deck, but instead of an exterior wall with a picture window, these staterooms have floor-to-ceiling windows and a sliding glass door leading out to the public promenade. Out on deck, two wooden lounge chairs with striped cushions are reserved for each lanai cabin.

So far, the experience is not really like having a balcony cabin. There's no privacy on my public balcony, and morning walkers are constantly passing by my window. Nor do we have an outside table, so my thoughts of ordering room service to have breakfast on my lanai were crushed when I realized I'd have to hold everything on my lap -- and perhaps have the walkers eyeballing my selections. Although the cabin windows are coated so it's difficult to see in, outsiders can peek in a little, so you don't necessarily want to throw back the curtains in your underwear to check the day's weather.

However, I've never had so short a distance to travel to the muster drill. People were mustering right outside my window!

The lanai cabins are not overly spacious, but so far we've made it work. We have the room configured in twin beds (I'm traveling with a friend from Alaska, actually) and I think there would be more room by the desk and love seat area if the beds were pushed together. Holland America has actually squeezed a teeny loveseat, table and extra chair in one corner and the desk with flat-screen TV, DVD and desk stool (hollow for extra storage) in the opposite corner.

As for storage, there are two closets each with two sides that have three drawers, several shelves, areas for hanging clothes and shelves that can be put down or locked to the wall to create either more shelf space or more hanging space, depending on your wardrobe. I found that a neat touch. Drawers under the bed are unfortunately already filled with bedding. Other than two drawers in each nightstand, that's all the storage you get.

The bathroom has minimal storage as well -- now mirrored cabinet in the corner. However, it does have a tub, which means plenty of room to shower and plenty of places to put shampoo, conditioner and razors. But watch out -- the step into the tub is high, and I've already banged my knee on it once.

I know snallysmom had asked about noise. I'm reserving judgment until I've been here a few more days, but so far I think the cabin is a little noisier than others. We're also directly across from the self-service laundry so not sure if our end of the hall will start seeing traffic on sea days.

Archived