Shore excursions St Petersburg

Yes we were delayed by Princess in our debarkation from St Petersburg on May 20. First, we were ready at 6:30 AM, had met most of our fellow tour members, and were ready to leave the ship. Instead we were told to stay in the deck 5 dining room for over an hour. We had a number around 150. Finally we were allowed to leave the ship, only to find very long lines to clear customs. Two lines were for those with private visas and those on non Princess tours. Six lines were available for those on Princess tours. Our lines were out the door onto the tarmac and the Princess tours were 6 or 8 people deep, well inside the building. After numerous complaints, we were finally allowed to join any line we wished. For the record, the Russians did not want the copy of our passport. They did want the migration form, our passport and barely a glance at our tour ticket which we kept. They gave us each a small laminated square which we were to keep with our passports and turn back in at the end of the day.

In all, we were about a hour late setting out for our day. Our tour was worth every bit of the inconvenience. Some of our tour members barged ahead and pretended to be on Princess tours and got through much earlier. They had to wait for the rest for us.

We did write a letter of complaint to Princess while on board. Got a form reply and an address to write to in California.

Hope this helps those who follow. Mostly I hope Princess changes their policies.

Cathie

On RCCL Jewel of the Seas a couple of years ago, I put together a group of 14 for a tour with Alla. We met in the elevator lobby one deck above the deck for disembarkation (if the gangway was on deck 2 forward, we met on deck 3). As soon as the ship cleared customs, we moved into the line and were off right away.

Generally, the ship wants to disembark its own tours first, but just be ready and a little pushy, and you should have no trouble.

Also, try to remind yourself that just because you took the initiative and I booked a private tour, saving a bundle, doesn't make you a lesser person.

we used denrus

very good

we went on the value/budget tour for 2 days

2 days isn't long enough, and it's a rush to get it all in, but very worth it

we paid dollars when we got there

some pics on our webshot site if you want a look

http://community.webshots.com/user/mcahirst

I enjoyed seeing your photos. Where were all the statues? I haven't seen anything about them in travel books.

Catcar,

Did you have any problems disembarking in St. Petersburg since you took a private tour? We are booked on the July 25th sailing on Emerald and also doing private tour with SPB. There are several postings advising that Princess is trying to push through the passengers booked on the cruise ship tours first and delay those booked with private tours. Some advise came through to be aggressive and don't listen to the cruise ship directions, ect. etc. Please share your experience. Anyone else welcome to provide feedback. Thank you. Helen from Los Angeles.

We just returned from the Emerald and took a private tour with Denrus. Yes it is correct that Princess lets their own tours off first, and I have no problem with that. The problem I do have is that Princess also set up signs at the entry to Russian immigration that read "Princess Tours......or......Private Tours", giving the Princess tours 3 times as many lines to clear customs. Bottom line.....the Russian officials could care less which tour you are with, so ignore the Princess rep at the entry and go into any line you wish.

Catcar,

Did you have any problems disembarking in St. Petersburg since you took a private tour? We are booked on the July 25th sailing on Emerald and also doing private tour with SPB. There are several postings advising that Princess is trying to push through the passengers booked on the cruise ship tours first and delay those booked with private tours. Some advise came through to be aggressive and don't listen to the cruise ship directions, ect. etc. Please share your experience. Anyone else welcome to provide feedback. Thank you. Helen from Los Angeles.

We just returned from our Emerald Princess cruise. We used SPB tours and were extremely pleased. Getting off the ship was very easy. They seemed to have changed the procedure because there had been a lot of previous complaints. As soon as the ship cleared customs all people on independent tours were allowed to just walk off the ship. We did not have to get a number or wait in line and we were off the ship by 6:50 AM. Willa:)

• 2 weeks later...

We were in SPB June 19 and 20, just last week. I researched all of the companies and chose TJ Travel www.travel-stpetersburg.com for 2 full days. There were 7 in our group. We saw everything that we had listed and more. We learned about life in SPB today from our guide and driver. Their prices were a bit less than the others. We were driven around, in and out of the city, in a beautiful van, which was always there. I advise you to pay extra for early admission to the Hermitage. We never waited in a line at any site, although we saw plenty of long, long lines We paid them in US dollars on the morning of the second day and got a 5% pp discount.

Inquire. Julia or Tatyana will answer your email questions within 12 hours. They will suggest an itinery or you can plan your own. Everyone who had taken ships tours were green with envy.

I cannot reccommend a better 2 days.

Archived