Shanghai pier to Airport

alanmal

Went to China in February on Legend of the Seas and you had to have a visa if the ship visited China irrespective of whether you actually intended to get of the boat or not so - yes, you do need one. Also, the type of visa you get will depend on how many ports the ship visits in China - all very complicated!

Does one need a visa to go from the cruise ship pier to the airport for the flight home to USA?

I read somewhere that for Shanghai if one is in transit from a cruiseship, etc., they are allowed 48 hours for transit, without needing a visa.

Wrong, we were on the Diamond Princess when two Pax were discharged in Korea before we reached China because they did not have Chinese visas and the cruise ended in Beijing. Again on the Quest a few months later when some pax did not have Chinese Visas when they had to stay on board in all the Chinese ports, but weere allowd to stay as the cruise ended in Hong Kong.

Wrong, we were on the Diamond Princess when two Pax were discharged in Korea before we reached China because they did not have Chinese visas and the cruise ended in Beijing. Again on the Quest a few months later when some pax did not have Chinese Visas when they had to stay on board in all the Chinese ports, but weere allowd to stay as the cruise ended in Hong Kong.

But I was referring to Shanghai being the last stop on the cruise, not Beijing. I believe different rules apply for Shanghai. But anyone interested in this should definitely look for the official regulations that apply to Shanghai, and even then it may be better to play safe and have a Chinese visa.

Nothing to do with Visa ? but we had arranged a car to take us from the pier in Shanghai at the end of Legend cruise in March to the airport which is quite a drive away (maybe an hour). My last suitcase did not come off the ship and we wasted precious time looking for it to no avail and meanwhle our friends were dealing with the driver. Even tho I had a reciept that confirmed I had pre paid for 4 pax he was insisting that he had only been paid for 2. All the luggage (at least that which was not misplaced) was already packed in the car when he announced he will not take us until he is able to contact hs boss. We wound up paying again just to make our flight. Dont have the name of the company but we booked thru Carey Int'l.

----------

Whether it is Beijing or Shanghai or anywhere else in China, you will need a visa to step on land. If you do not have a visa and your cruise ends in China, the ship will discharge you at the last non-Chinese port of call.

Whether it is Beijing or Shanghai or anywhere else in China, you will need a visa to step on land. If you do not have a visa and your cruise ends in China, the ship will discharge you at the last non-Chinese port of call.

Shanghai has 2 international airports, they allow you to move between the 2 airports without a visa (with up to 48 hours time limit), I have been trying to contact the visa section of the Houston consulate, all I get for the past 7 days is a busy signal for the number in the alloted time to call when they will answer. I will now contact the Chinese ambassador in DC, to see if I can get an answer. If it is ok between to airports, why not between pier and airport. I cannot see why we have to spend $130.00 pp for visa for a 1 hour ride. I might see if Princess will get involved.

Shanghai has 2 international airports, they allow you to move between the 2 airports without a visa (with up to 48 hours time limit), I have been trying to contact the visa section of the Houston consulate, all I get for the past 7 days is a busy signal for the number in the alloted time to call when they will answer. I will now contact the Chinese ambassador in DC, to see if I can get an answer. If it is ok between to airports, why not between pier and airport. I cannot see why we have to spend $130.00 pp for visa for a 1 hour ride. I might see if Princess will get involved.

Here is the exact wording I downloaded from what I think was an official website. But I would still advise anyone confirm this with a Chinese embassy or consulate, and even if they agree, who knows what the dockside immigration people will say.

5) c. The crew members and passengers transiting in China may stay in the airport for up to 24 hours without applying for transit visa. Those who intend to exit the airport or stay in the airport for more than 24 hours must obtain a transit visa in advance.

d. Citizens of the following countries who transit in Shanghai may stay in the shanghai for up to 48 hours without a visa: They are USA, Canada, Republic of Korea, Australia, New Zealand, Germany, France, the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Austria and Greece.

Here is the exact wording I downloaded from what I think was an official website. But I would still advise anyone confirm this with a Chinese embassy or consulate, and even if they agree, who knows what the dockside immigration people will say.

5) c. The crew members and passengers transiting in China may stay in the airport for up to 24 hours without applying for transit visa. Those who intend to exit the airport or stay in the airport for more than 24 hours must obtain a transit visa in advance.

d. Citizens of the following countries who transit in Shanghai may stay in the shanghai for up to 48 hours without a visa: They are USA, Canada, Republic of Korea, Australia, New Zealand, Germany, France, the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Austria and Greece.

This is the exact website that it comes from:

http://www.nyconsulate.prchina.org/eng/lsqz/VisasforChina/t42211.htm#4

TNX again

From the mouth of the head of the visa section at the Houston Consulate for China. YOU "WILL NEED A VISA", to go from the pier to the airport.

Got this just now, from the Washington Chinese embassy, visa section, I am confused even more now. I am going to e-mail him back and ask him which paragraph is correct, since they contradict each other

The information is correct.

发件人: ALANMAL@aol.com [mailto:ALANMAL@aol.com]

发送时间: 2009年6月10日 9:04

收件人: CHNVISA@BELLATLANTIC.NET

主题: Shanghai question

I will be on a cruise that ends in Shanghi. Do I need a visa to transit from the pier to the Airport to fly back to the United States. This is part of the Frequently asked questions, answer from the NY consular site. but I cannot find it at the Houston conuslar site:

3) Citizens of the following countries to transit Shanghai can stay in Shanghai up to 48 hours without applying for visas: Korea, U.S. Canada, Australia, New Zealand, French, Netherlands, France, Belgium, Luxemburg, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Austria and Greek.

I am confused, please help.

Thank You

Alan Malachowsky

Archived