Cheap masks in Venice

Does anyone know of a place in Venice where I can buy authentic Venetian masks for $20 or less? Or is everything in that price range made in China? I need to buy at least 20 of them, so I don't want to spend any more than I absolutely have to.

Thanks for your help

Donia

Does anyone know of a place in Venice where I can buy authentic Venetian masks for $20 or less? Or is everything in that price range made in China? I need to buy at least 20 of them, so I don't want to spend any more than I absolutely have to.

Thanks for your help

Donia

You really answered you own question..you will not really find an authentic Venetian mask for $20 that would do justice,but maybe on the small side you could find one.There are many shops and by checking out a few may give you some idea..you could always ask for a discount as well since you are buying so many.It never hurts to ask as the answer is always no unless you ask.

Thanks, Karen. Yep, I thought that would be the case - but hope springs eternal! Worst case, I buy some unpainted ones on line and visit the local crafts store!

Donia

Thanks for your help

Donia

That's a lot of masks to carry around. If you are going to purchase ones made in China, it may be easier to buy them at home or online, and not on your trip!

There are a lot of places online that sell authentic ones, but the lowest prices I see are around $42.00. Though, perhaps if you are purchasing so many, you may be able to get a discount on real ones while in Venice. Good luck.

I have at least a dozen masks with the official Venezia logo stamped on the back, purchaced at various time at Marshall's discount department store. We check for them every time we go in, have to be persistant because they go fast.

But even if they are marked down, they are all over $30. Friends of ours bought a mask in Venice, and after paying over 100 euros, the shipping cost was almost 40 euro.

So needless to say, I am not buying any masks in Venice.

You can also find them at T.J.Max occasionally. They are made in Italy. I saw similar one in Las Vegas for about $200. I bought an eye mask during the Carnival in Venice a few years ago. It was around $20. It probably was made in china. But they don't sell them in China. You have to go to Italy to buy them. It was fun to wear during the Carnival like many people do. Make you feel like you are right in the big Festival !!!:D:D:D

We bought some authentic miniature masks with a pin on them. You wear them lime a brooch. They are very nice and make good gifts.

Ooooooo - love that idea! How expensive were they? Are they readily available?

If all I can find that I can afford are those made in China, I definitely won't be buying them in Venice. If I luck into a really great deal on 20 authentic masks, I plan to ship them back.

Thanks for all the good advice.

The Samantha Brown episode of her first cruise (a 12 day on Brilliance) on Travel Channel shows her visiting tow of them. One has the name (in itialian of course..."paper Mache") that they will make them right in front of you. Then she went to a porcilin one to buy one there as well. Sorry about the spelling.....it's late. Look for re-runs of her show...it'll show the address.

I am presuming by your question that you will be in Venice? If so, then when you walk across the Rialto Bridge towards St Marks Square, you will be walking through a large market area. There are all sorts of vendors and masks, Murano glass, millifiore pendants and hearts etc can be bought. Be a bit careful, some is not local (Made in China products have invaded everywhere LOL).

On the other hand, as you wander around Venice, you will come upon all sorts of mask shops and while you can pay a lot of money for them, there will be "leftovers" from the previous years carnival, that often are for sale at reasonable prices. Most of the actual mask stores will (for a fee) package and ship them home for you.

Real high quality venitian masks are quite expensive and worth every penny, they are made from paper not the molded plastic and hand glued and decorated. We spent over $300USD on two masks combined, one was larger than the other I don't recall the breakdown in pricing. It was well worth every penny, whenever someone sees them they are awed by the intricity and beauty. Real masks will have a certificate of authenticity and be signed by the artist.

That said you can certainly pick up many cheap masks in venice if you are just going for "the look" they have carts set up all over the place.

By the way the masks that are made of paper mache do not need to be shipped, the artist folded in all of the adornments and bubble wrapped them for us and we just popped them in our suitcases, if you email me I would be happy to send you some photos of them, they really are gorgeous

This is the link to our favorite mask shop in Venice. They are just a few minutes walk from Piazza San Marco (directions on the website). They design and create everything there, are very fun and friendly and have a big selection. Email them and ask about a good price for what you need. Even if you don't buy there, stop in; it's magical. I collect their animal masks...

http://www.cadelsolmaschere.com/eng/masche1.htm

Archived