Will the media lose interest in Pacific Dawn?

Ela 2

The passengers I saw interviewed on the TV news said they had a good time on the ship and they were very happy. They didn't criticise P & O.

No passengers have tested positive to swine flu, and apparently there are still only the three quarantined crew who had the flu a few days ago.

I am wondering now that the ship is free of swine flu and several passengers said they were happy, is that the end of the story? I hope so.:)

Evon.

probly not evon did you go and see the dawn?

I saw her from our home, but I was too busy to go down to Portside. We cruised on the Pacific Dawn in March/April this year, so the ship is not new to us. :)

Evon.

My guessing no. There will be someone that gets off in Sydney who will whinge and complain and cary on and the media will go with that. Unless something really big happens else where then come monday and they will be at darling harbour ready and waiting.

The passengers I saw interviewed on the TV news said they had a good time on the ship and they were very happy. They didn't criticise P & O.

No passengers have tested positive to swine flu, and apparently there are still only the three quarantined crew who had the flu a few days ago.

I am wondering now that the ship is free of swine flu and several passengers said they were happy, is that the end of the story? I hope so.:)

Evon.

Hi Evon,

I think after the ship docks on Monday and everyone gets home the attention will soon fade.

I must admit though we have been getting some awesome pictures of the ship every night on TV.

One thing that has been bothering me though, is how they keep calling it "The swine flu Ship". kinda sounds like everyone aboard has it. I hope that name is soon forgotten.

Deidre.

I didn't see the news today at all but my dad saw it and he said that the reporter was trying her hardest to get the passenger she interviewed to say something negative but the passenger wouldn't do it. He'd had a great time on board and couldn't say anything bad about the cruise. Apparently, the reporter appeared very frustrated.

My guessing no. There will be someone that gets off in Sydney who will whinge and complain and cary on and the media will go with that. Unless something really big happens else where then come monday and they will be at darling harbour ready and waiting.

On our cruise someone whined, moaned and complained bitterly .... do you want to know why....... because the WATER WAS TOO COLD... no not the swimming pool or the ocean but the water the waiter poured at the dining table.....:eek: True story so i am not surprised by any complaint now

I didn't like the report on ABC TV at 8.25pm referring to the Pacific Dawn. They said "after seven passengers became ill, the ship was diverted to Brisbane. As the number of confirmed cases continues to rise ......." This made it sound as if the seven ill passengers are among the confirmed cases. They didn't say that none of these seven have swine flu. I am sure the way it was put was not intentional, but it did leave the wrong impression.

It was a very smart move by P & O to give people their refund cheques while they were still on the ship. This would have made people very happy, rather than waiting for a cheque to come after they get home.:)

Evon.

I didn't like the report on ABC TV at 8.25pm referring to the Pacific Dawn. They said "after seven passengers became ill, the ship was diverted to Brisbane. As the number of confirmed cases continues to rise ......." This made it sound as if the seven ill passengers are among the confirmed cases. They didn't say that none of these seven have swine flu. I am sure the way it was put was not intentional, but it did leave the wrong impression.

It was a very smart move by P & O to give people their refund cheques while they were still on the ship. This would have made people very happy, rather than waiting for a cheque to come after they get home.:)

Evon.

yes that was good of P&O do that, apparently from the new there three staff still quarantined :confused: was good that ann sherry was there too

Evon.

As we watched the passengers disembark, I noticed a few were carrying an envelope.

I joked to DH- I bet you thats their refund cheque!!!!:p

He said Naaa! :rolleyes:

Now I can tell him when he gets home from fishing that I was right!!!!:p

PS

None of the Pax that got off looked sick to me, they all looked happy- no wonder- with the cheque in their hands!!!

None of the Pax that got off looked sick to me, they all looked happy- no wonder- with the cheque in their hands!!!

I'd be happy too if I'd just had 5 days of relaxation (no cooking, cleaning all those activities) and got 75% of what I'd paid back:D

As we watched the passengers disembark, I noticed a few were carrying an envelope.

I can understand why he was dubious, but they certainly were cheques. One woman waved hers triumphantly for the camera, and the shot was close enough to see it was a cheque.

Evon.

Now I can tell him when he gets home from fishing that I was right!!!!:p

PS

yes they would be very happy with that one would think mmm fishing hope he dos well

Evon.

Well, in Queensland at least,their attention will now be on Cairns where a 13 yo school girl has tested positive to swine flu, with one school up there now closed for 7days, and possibly more to follow as they trace her contacts.

I find it extremely ironic that Pacific Dawn was diverted from all north queensland ports to prevent swine flu getting in - but it has anyway.

I think the media should be looking at all the passengers travelling by air and put a full stop to the Pacific Dawn. They are far more likely to transfer the swine flu more rapidly from person to person on an aircraft than on a ship. If only 3 have contracted swine flu out of 2000 passengers I think they've done a pretty good job containing it.

Mind you DH just said apparently one person has come down with it who was on the last Pacific Dawn cruise.

An aircraft is far more confined than a ship and all the air breathed is recycled through the airconditioning system on the plane. There's definitely no fresh air on a plane.

Jillybean:)

Mind you DH just said apparently one person has come down with it who was on the last Pacific Dawn cruise.

Hi Jillybean,

Do you mean the cruise that docked in Sydney last Monday? If so, there have been several extra cases to a total of 14 I think.

Evon.

Hi Evon,

I think after the ship docks on Monday and everyone gets home the attention will soon fade.

I must admit though we have been getting some awesome pictures of the ship every night on TV.

One thing that has been bothering me though, is how they keep calling it "The swine flu Ship". kinda sounds like everyone aboard has it. I hope that name is soon forgotten.

Deidre.

These labels are most derogatory and upsetting. We saw the same with the Pacific Sun being named "party ship" , plus there was a fatal accident on her too.

Seems the media has it in for the P&O ships. Just the name 'Swine Flu' conjures up bad images.

Anna

Yes, we too hope all the media hype fades away quickly. We feel sorry for P&O, as well as of course, those crew/passengers affected. We personally feel it more or a concern flying than sailing........or even crossing the road...

However, on a selfish note...lol...wouldnt it be nice if there were some really cheap discounts available. We would be booking straight away, packed and gone. Nice !!

Well, in Queensland at least,their attention will now be on Cairns where a 13 yo school girl has tested positive to swine flu, with one school up there now closed for 7days, and possibly more to follow as they trace her contacts.

I find it extremely ironic that Pacific Dawn was diverted from all north queensland ports to prevent swine flu getting in - but it has anyway.

Now the Dawn has left Qld the media up here will focus their attention on Cairns and how it got there. I've read 2 catholic schools up there are now closed for 5 days. I'm not looking forward to after the june/july school holidays, lots of families at my daughters school will go o/s an I don't like the idea of the school being shut after the holidays. We get 3 weeks as it is, yes it's a private school. Waiting for more information which is being sent home from school this week.

Cheers

Jingles.:)

This morning on TV Professor 'somebody' can't remember his name stressed that this is a gross overaction by everyone. It is a flu, but that's all it is 'a flue' it is not as huge a concern as is being reported.

He followed on to say that many of the 'baby boomers' and above generation will probably not even get this as they are already carrying amunity from other flu strains from previous years. Apparently this is not a 'new' flu it is a crossbred flu. It appears that mostly those under 40 years of age are more at risk of contracting swine flu.

I thought his comments were rather interesting.

Yes, we too hope all the media hype fades away quickly. We feel sorry for P&O, as well as of course, those crew/passengers affected. We personally feel it more or a concern flying than sailing........or even crossing the road...

However, on a selfish note...lol...wouldnt it be nice if there were some really cheap discounts available. We would be booking straight away, packed and gone. Nice !!

totally agree with that

This morning on TV Professor 'somebody' can't remember his name stressed that this is a gross overaction by everyone. It is a flu, but that's all it is 'a flue' it is not as huge a concern as is being reported.

He followed on to say that many of the 'baby boomers' and above generation will probably not even get this as they are already carrying amunity from other flu strains from previous years. Apparently this is not a 'new' flu it is a crossbred flu. It appears that mostly those under 40 years of age are more at risk of contracting swine flu.

I thought his comments were rather interesting.

I saw that man from Canberra on Sunday Sunrise and I thought about time someone spoke out with common sense.

Oh well if the name doesn't go away we might get the ship to ourselves and cheap prices!! We could only hope, I'm sure it will all go away soon. The Diane Brimble case hasn't deterred many cruisers! People always complain, we had one on our ship that was complaining because her banana was sliced into chunks not slices! We had the best time of our lives and can't wait to go again.

Archived