Looking for Bear

RIP27

We had friends that were on the Celebrity Mercury departed from San Pedro 14 day cruise, April 27 sailing. They were on the Roberts Tram and saw a Mama and Baby bear. LOOK real good!!:)

Any one with information on Bear viewing, I have heard of a few tours, any info on Brown Bear Lodge out of Icy Straits?

Thanks

We did the Bear Search with Keith of Teckk Tours in Icy Strait Point, and loved it. Keith is very personable and a great guide, and knows every bear around there by their first name.

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/volendam.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

I laughed when I saw this post. I live across Puget Sound from Seattle. There's a Black Bear Mama and cub in the woods across the street from my house. It's been attacking bird feeders and trash cans and making a terrible mess (and very dangerous). I actually prefer not to see them!! But, you can come here and see them for free!!!

For those of you who have been out with Keith and Teckk Outfitters. Were you folks restricted to viewing the bears from inside the van, or did you get a chance to get out and hike a little to find them?

We got out of the van and were able to take some great pictures of the bears we saw, at a safe distance of course! We did walk up a stream a little ways. Look at the website, it has some great pictures of other's tour with TECKK.

We looked and looked for Bear on our Alaska Fam last August. Spent time in McKinley, Denali, & Fairbanks.....lots of wildlife - but sadly no bear. We did get lucky from the train and see three BARE (three folks decided to moon the train) one of the funniest things I've ever seen.:D So keep a look out if you take the train.

For those of you who have been out with Keith and Teckk Outfitters. Were you folks restricted to viewing the bears from inside the van, or did you get a chance to get out and hike a little to find them?

Keith basically offered us the choice of the easy tour or the adventurous tour. We chose the easy one, so we only got out of the van and stood on the bridges or walked very short distances. You can see Keith standing guard with his gun, but notice it is strapped to his back, not drawn! The pictures we took were from the spot we are standing, not from inside the van.

http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/volendam.html

He told us that if we wanted we could go hiking down along the stream and he would search for more bears. In our case we declined but Keith did go off into the bush for just a few minutes to see if he could herd one our way. We waited IN the van while he did that.

Keith has been a hunting guide so he knows the trails and how to move safely if that is your choice.

I can promise you that along your way in Alaska, bears will be looking at you. I've watched many times while tourists were doing their own thing and not seeing bears at all.

I used to laugh and think it was funny, but sometimes it can be dangerous.

If you are going to Juneau this is what we are doing. Going out to Admiralty Island to Pack Creek. Just one tour operator doing that there that I could find; Alaska Fly 'n' Fish (AKA Alaska by Air). (All of the other operators did multi-day trips.) Otherwise you can do it completely independantly, like we are, but you have to apply for the permits (limited to only so many a day during peak season) and then charter a float plane to get out there.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/districts/admiralty/packcreek/index.shtml

Our second choice was to go to Anan out of Ketchikan. Lots of tour operators out of Ketchikan for that; Taquan Air, Island Wings, Southeast Aviation just to name a few.

Hope this helps.

Just got an email from Edna, Keith's wife (TECCK). We were conversing about our upcoming trip in August. Since so many on CC have posted that it was just too early in the season to see bear, I thought I would post her response.

"Keith has seen bear on every trip he has been on and has provided a very entertaining tour! One day they saw SEVEN!!! Everyone came back calling him "Bear Man" Haha!"

The bear can be found this early, I guess you just have to know where to look!

I will be in Icy Strait the first week of August. Could anyone tell me if the bear expeditions there have a good success rate. Is it also possible to do a bear & whale excusion there. We will be in port 7 hrs. Any help and suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

I will be in Icy Strait the first week of August. Could anyone tell me if the bear expeditions there have a good success rate. Is it also possible to do a bear & whale excusion there. We will be in port 7 hrs. Any help and suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Keith of Teckk Tours http://www.teckkoutfittersicystrait.com/ has a high success rate. He also does whale watching. Possibly he could arrange a combination tour for you.

I just got off the phone with Edna (Keith's wife) to book a bear watch the 1st of July. I can't wait. I corresponded by email, then called to make the final reservation. She said her internet connection has been a little spotty lately, but that it's usually better in the morning. She's always responded within a day.

If you really want to go with them, I'd book in advance.

We were just in Hoonah May 27 and did a whale watching trip w/ Teckk. Keith has 2 boats for whale watching, and when we were both back he asked if we'd like to go see some bears, he took us out to see a couple bears that he's known since cubs (now 3 years old), he had us stay in the van while he went and herded them closer. My daughter also spotted another one on our way back to town, and Keith stopped and reversed so everyone could see it, it was right on the edge of the road, but shy so headed into the bushes right away. He also gave us a little tour of the town.

In Skagway, we rented a car and drove out to Carcross and Emerald Lake. On the way back, saw a bear just a few feet off the shoulder of the road ... pulled over and watched as it turned rocks over looking for bugs ... saw another one grazing on the side of the road between the Welcome to Alaska sign and the US customs station, the customs guy said it hangs around that area a lot.

Here's links to our picks, sorry there's a lot to look at, but you'll see how close the bears are to the road. Of course, we were there as they are all just coming out of hibernation and hungry.

Denise's pics, one album from start to finish (Seattle to Vancouver, cruise, and back)

http://picasaweb.google.com/defitz3/AlaskaMay2009RCCLSerenadeRoundtripOutOfVancouver?authkey=Gv1sRgCKDvp7uly-DG-AE#

Erika's pics, Skagway, drive to Carcross and Emerald Lake, saddle/paddle at Spirited Adventures, Erika has more pics, but I haven't had time to upload them:

http://picasaweb.google.com/defitz3/2009_05_27SkagwayToEmeraldLakeDrive?authkey=Gv1sRgCMzl8afGk7CxjgE#

Archived