How to keep in touch back home?

MaiTaiMary

We're going on a Mexican Riviera cruise next year.

What is the best (easiest/least expensive) way to keep in touch with family back home?

I have no idea how phones and internet works at sea.

thoughts on the following:

~Cell phone

~cabin phone

~Internet (access e-mail) on the ship

~can we use our laptop (e-mail) in the cabin?

Sorry if these are dumb questions. :o

How do international calling cards work?

I won't be talking long. Just a quick (5 minute?) call here and there or a quick e-mail check.

Thanks!:D

Most cell phones do work on the ships; but the charges can add up, I think the rate is $2.49 a minute just to use your cell phone on the ship, PLUS whatever your cell carrier charges you if you are out of your calling plan etc.. I usually buy an hour of interenet time and check my email quickly and that is how I check in back home. We have a farm and we leave someone here to take care of it, and it just gives me peace of mind to know all is well. I can enjoy my trip a lot more when you know everyone is back at home safe and sound. As far as calling cards go, I am not certain...I do know there are places in some ports that charge a lot less than the ship for calls and internet time etc...hope I was some help!;)

Best way to keep in touch?

Don't.

Just say "We'll talk to you when we get back."

For us, a vacation is a total disconnect from the real world for 10-14 days.

My parents don't have a computer so email is out. They are keeping the kids. Last year we just gave them the ship # and emergency contact info and called them right before porting out and as soon as we disembarked porting in. I didn't like that though, no way I can relax without at least a short check in.

Think I'll check into text prices with my carrier this year. Neither of us has unlimited text since we don't text but it's only .05 or .10 per text sent and received so it would still be cheap to do a daily check in. Just not sure what other charges we would be hit with using it on the ship internationally. I do know last year we had to call and have international roaming activated on our phones just in case we needed it, didn't cost anything, never checked on texting.

Most cell phones do work on the ships; but the charges can add up, I think the rate is $2.49 a minute just to use your cell phone on the ship, PLUS whatever your cell carrier charges you if you are out of your calling plan etc.. I usually buy an hour of interenet time and check my email quickly and that is how I check in back home.

Carnival charges $2.49/per minute and then whatever else your cell phone carrier charges?

How do you "buy an hour of internet time"?

So I'm thinking we'll buy an international calling card and use our cell phone while in port (3 outta the 8 days). There are 4 full sea days, though. I'd prefer to talk on the phone, but a quick e-mail would be sufficient.

How does the internet cafe work?

I take it I can't just use our laptop in the cabin? :o

If the ship is equipped with stem-to-stern wifi, yes, but you will still have to log in through the ship and the same charges apply whether you are in your cabin or in the internet cafe.

Carnival charges $2.49/per minute and then whatever else your cell phone carrier charges? Yes, you may want to look into how much your carrier also charges, just in case.

How do you "buy an hour of internet time"? Very simple, you find the internet cafe and use your sail and sign card....you pay for time in blocks, you can get 30 minutes or 60/100 minutes etc...it is cheaper that way....and when you sign in to access the internet via the ships computers, they keep count of your minutes and you will know how many more you have etc.. Very simple and convenient...I just consider it part of my cruise cost when I plan.

So I'm thinking we'll buy an international calling card and use our cell phone while in port (3 outta the 8 days). There are 4 full sea days, though. I'd prefer to talk on the phone, but a quick e-mail would be sufficient.

How does the internet cafe work?

Also here is the info from the Carnival Website:

Can I access the internet while on board?spacer.gifFor those guests who want the option of staying connected to the rest of the world, we proudly offer access to the internet with our onboard Internet Café and wireless networks using the ships own satellite connection. The Internet Café is open 24-hours a day and features private terminals with the latest flat panel computer monitors.

The Internet is accessed via our C-band satellite system and utilizes state-of-the-art compression and acceleration technologies to deliver the best guest experience in the cruise industry. As a result, guests can feel right at home while surfing the internet at sea. Guests will have the ability to send and receive e-mail, chat online and access the full internet. Guests can also access their own e-mail account through AOL, Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo, etc. Alternatively, guests will have the option to use their very own temporary e-mail account with our “Cruise E-mail”™.

We also offer wireless internet access across our entire fleet. Depending on the vessel, we have either limited wireless access in and around the shipboard internet café and select public areas or a complete “Bow2stern” wireless network. The “Bow2Stern” network allows our guests (and crew) to enjoy Internet access from literally anywhere on board, including all public areas, lounges, bars and pool decks, guest suites and cabins. To take full advantage of this feature, guests should bring their personal laptops along with them, as the number of laptops available for rent onboard is limited. In addition, this network supports the latest Wi-Fi enabled i-Phones, Palm Pilots and Blackberrys. These wireless deployments are available as follows:

Onboard Internet Café and “Bow2stern” Wi-Fi

• Carnival Conquest
  • Carnival Destiny
  • Carnival Fantasy
  • Carnival Freedom
  • Carnival Imagination
  • Carnival Inspiration
  • Carnival Legend
  • Carnival Liberty
  • Carnival Miracle
  • Carnival Pride
  • Carnival Sensation
  • Carnival Spirit
  • Carnival Splendor
  • Carnival Triumph
  • Carnival Valor
  • Carnival Victory
  • Carnival Dream (September 2009)

Onboard Internet Café and Limited Wi-Fi (details of areas available in Internet Café)

• Carnival Holiday
  • Carnival Ecstasy
  • Carnival Fascination
  • Carnival Elation
  • Carnival Paradise
  • Carnival Glory

Internet Café Price List :

To utilize the internet service, the below options are available. Please note that the internet pricing options are identical, whether an Internet Café terminal is utilized, or a laptop. All internet access charges will be billed directly to the guest's onboard “Sail & Sign” Account. In addition, when using a Café terminal, files can be downloaded as "read only" but cannot be saved, since a floppy disk cannot be inserted into the PC's. Users who bring their own laptop can read and save files without restriction.

An initial one-time Activation Fee of $3.95 applies to each user.

A basic time charge of $0.75 per minute (“Pay-As-You-Go”) is available. Minutes are rounded to the next full minute.

Discounted "Time Plans" offer guests the opportunity to enjoy a lower per-minute rate. These Time Plans do not have to be used in a single session and can be used anytime throughout the cruise until debarkation; No refund for unused minutes; Upgrading selected pricing option is not available. Plans are subject to change.

Cruises 6 days in length and longer:

• 100 minutes for $55.00 ($0.55 per minute)
  • 250 minutes for $100.00 ($0.40 per minute)

Cruises less than 6 days in length:

• 30 minutes for $16.50 ($0.55 per minute)
  • 60 minutes for $24.00 ($0.40 per minute)

If your personal laptop does not have built in Wi-Fi, you can rent a Wirless Radio Card on board. To rent a Wireless Radio Card for your personal laptop, the rate is $10.00 per day, or free with purchased "Time Plans"; optional insurance is $3.00 per day. This allows guests to connect their laptops to the ship's wireless signal and is in addition to the Internet price plans.

A limited number of laptops are available for rent with a Time Plan purchase for an additional $10.00 per day, and optional insurance is also available.

I would check with your wireless provider regarding rates. I checked with T-Mobil yesterday and they told me that it would be $5/min on the ship as AT&T owns the towers on Carnival. It was less expensive from all of the ports we're visiting ranging from $1.99 to $2.99/min. You also need to call to set up international calling if you don't already have it on your plan. It was $2.99/ min on RCCL during our last cruise, but I was with Sprint then. We also use internet, but we have a three year old we're leaving with grandparents and I'm sure we'll want to talk to him. We didn't check in on our first two trips which were before we had DS, but when you have a little one back home, it's hard to relax unless you know all is well. Good Luck!

Texting worked well on the last cruise. It was .50 a text.

Thanks I'll call Alltel Monday and see what their rates are. I assume I don't get charged anything by the ship towers for texting or do you since you are bouncing off their towers?

We call home before we leave and when we arrive back in port.

Leave a emergency phone #, IE one of the kids is VERY sick or someone

dies.

But else go on vacation and relax and let the kids have fun with grandma,

etc.

Just my 2 cents on how we do it.

MaiTaiMary.......what is it you need to do? Will you be talking daily or just need to have an open line of communication in case of emergency?? If it is the second, which is what we needed, I kept my cellphone charged, (I brought my charger with me), and left it on, it was on roaming of course, but you only pay for calls incoming or outgoing so if you aren't using it, or are only making very quick calls to make sure everything is okay, it isn't very expensive and it is the most convenient :)

I will be taking my netbook and was wondering if there is any free wifi signal at the ports in the Bahamas or St. Martin and St. Thomas. $.50 a text would also work for me and I will check that out with Verizon. I just have to keep up with my kids and dog. Love that dog! Internet on the ship is very slow and therefore the charges seem to add up quickly but I always use that to keep in touch. I have an email list and sent it to all my friends and family and that includes my work family too.

First cruise we racked up over $60 in cell charges for very few phone calls. This time we used texting. DD showed her grandmother how to view texts & send 2 replies "all ok" & "call" - each day I would text a short message & then wait for her reply. We have unlimited texting with Verizon & it was .05 for each received text & .50 for each sent. We did block texting for the week from DD's phone just to be safe. No charge for that either. We let her use one of our phones to send a few texts during the week & the total for all sent & received was around $10.00

I know we were on vacation but father had health issues right before we left & being the only child, I felt I had to check in daily.

MicksMom

Thanks I'll call Alltel Monday and see what their rates are. I assume I don't get charged anything by the ship towers for texting or do you since you are bouncing off their towers?

I received my cell bill from ATT and the International Plan that I have. It shows that I paid $2.49 a minute. I get charged either way if I called or an incoming call. I noticed that I missed a call but still was charged. That call was probably a wrong number.

The ships cell service is Cellular at Sea. They own the service but do not charge you to use their service. I believe ATT charges you extra because ATT does not own the tower. They have a contract with the other service providers and pays them for you usages. I looked at the International Service providers rates for the Caribbean Islands and Mexico. Each island had different rates and Mexico was cheaper. If you really had to make a cell call and could wait, Mexico was it.

The ATT plan has incoming texts free. If I sent a text it was .$50.

The Carnival's ship phone in your room was very very expensive. They wanted about $5.95 per minute.

Remember that there is only one outlet in your room. Bring a power strip with multiple outlets. You can plug in your phone charger and other electrical items.

I shut off my internet on the IPhone. The bit rates were a killer. Texting was a way to go for me. I told the kids to text me for anything. Do not call unless it is an emergency.

I received my cell bill from ATT and the International Plan that I have. It shows that I paid $2.49 a minute. I get charged either way if I called or an incoming call. I noticed that I missed a call but still was charged. That call was probably a wrong number.

The ships cell service is Cellular at Sea. They own the service but do not charge you to use their service. I believe ATT charges you extra because ATT does not own the tower. They have a contract with the other service providers and pays them for you usages. I looked at the International Service providers rates for the Caribbean Islands and Mexico. Each island had different rates and Mexico was cheaper. If you really had to make a cell call and could wait, Mexico was it.

The ATT plan has incoming texts free. If I sent a text it was .$50.

The Carnival's ship phone in your room was very very expensive. They wanted about $5.95 per minute.

Remember that there is only one outlet in your room. Bring a power strip with multiple outlets. You can plug in your phone charger and other electrical items.

I shut off my internet on the IPhone. The bit rates were a killer. Texting was a way to go for me. I told the kids to text me for anything. Do not call unless it is an emergency.

So as long as you didn't place or receive a call you were only charged for the texting charge? Like if I send 10 and receive 10 I will only be charged for those, no $2.49 a minute charges (as long as no calls come in?).

In reality I only plan to turn it on long enough to send the text and receive them. Anyone that normally calls me will know not to that week so I shouldn't have any calls coming in.

THanks for the info

We went to Italy in 2007. We bought a calling card, which we still have minutes on. We check in that way to home. It was very cheap. Of course you can only do it in port. But if thats that only reason is just to check in then that should work.

We own a construction and also a engineering company. So depending on whats going on my husband just check in. Plus we used the paid for about 60 minutes of there internet time on the ship. Worked out great for us.

My parents don't have a computer so email is out. They are keeping the kids. Last year we just gave them the ship # and emergency contact info and called them right before porting out and as soon as we disembarked porting in. I didn't like that though, no way I can relax without at least a short check in.

Think I'll check into text prices with my carrier this year. Neither of us has unlimited text since we don't text but it's only .05 or .10 per text sent and received so it would still be cheap to do a daily check in. Just not sure what other charges we would be hit with using it on the ship internationally. I do know last year we had to call and have international roaming activated on our phones just in case we needed it, didn't cost anything, never checked on texting.

Yes, check with your carrier - my stepson would not believe me when I told him he would be charged extra. And after trying to talk to him about it and getting snapped at: "It's between me and my grandmother", I threw my hands up! (Long story, but my mother-in-law got him a cell phone over our objections.) Well, he ended up giving his grandmother most of his Christmas money, close to $200, to cover the charges.

Yeah there will definitely not be any chatting while on the ship. I don't want my cell big more then my S&S bill LOL

Guess I better teach Mom how to text before I go. Last year we just did the call before and call after and I knew I'd be contacted if anything was wrong but I still couldn't relax and have fun. Can't seem to shut that parent switch off just because I'm on a cruise. So I need to send a quick message at least once or twice to get me through :o

Normally if we are gone a few days and the kids stay at my parents I can just pick up the phone once a day and make a call or Mom will call me.

So as long as you didn't place or receive a call you were only charged for the texting charge? Like if I send 10 and receive 10 I will only be charged for those, no $2.49 a minute charges (as long as no calls come in?).

In reality I only plan to turn it on long enough to send the text and receive them. Anyone that normally calls me will know not to that week so I shouldn't have any calls coming in.

THanks for the info

No cell phone incoming or out going calls are not charged. If only text messages..then you are charges for txt messages. On my ATT plan the example you gave 10 outgoing txt messages 10 times $.50 =$5. 10 incoming messages = $0. Please check with your plan. sometimes if you ask they may give you a free week. The International Plans runs month to month. It may take 10-15 minutes to set up you plan. When you cancel it takes 1 minute.

If no cell calls come in or calls go out....no $2.49 charge.

If you want to receive text messages...you have to leave your phone on. Be sure to bring your charger and a power strip. There is only one outlet in your room.

Archived