Princess - Livorno to Florence on your own MUST read this!

Buy you ticket from Florence to Livorno. Get off in Pisa and enjoy yourself. Get back on the next available Regionale train. Do not validate your ticket in the Pisa station - not necessary!

Hello again GSPLover. We leave the states on June 10th and planning to use your valuable info for Rome, Naples and Florence. Having never been to Florence, we're a little nervous since it's further from the port. Can anyone suggest a good time to choose to see the David considering crowds, tours, train schedules, etc? We would like to squeeze in Pisa if possible. What tickets should we reserve now? How about the HOHO?

STLPilot, looking forward to your info:)

Hello again GSPLover. We leave the states on June 10th and planning to use your valuable info for Rome, Naples and Florence. Having never been to Florence, we're a little nervous since it's further from the port. Can anyone suggest a good time to choose to see the David considering crowds, tours, train schedules, etc? We would like to squeeze in Pisa if possible. What tickets should we reserve now? How about the HOHO?

Buy timed tickets to the Accademia (for the David) and the Leaning Tower of Pisa in advance via the web. Make sure you know what time you will be there.

There is a shuttle at Civitavecchia too.

What you have to understand is that in Civitavecchia and Livorno , the cruise ships dock in an ordinary commercial port. Very unattractive indeed.

Of course it's understandable that they don't allow thousands of people wandering about HOWEVER I feel the shuttle should be free.

Last year it was free in Ciiv. and about eur 1 in Livorno. Maybe they have put up the price so much to encourage people to take a taxi ? It's senseless.

We just returned from our Med Cruise and did just this. I also, was concerned about doing this port on our own, but followed GSPLover's advice, and it worked fine. Here is how it worked for us.

We were on a Princess cruise. We were the first off the ship at 6:30, hoping to make that 7:11 train, to allow more time in Florence, and stop in Pisa. Other posters are correct. You can walk over to a gated area, where the shuttle bus was scheduled to start at 8 AM, or taxis were lined up outside. We wanted to negotiate a taxi to the train station for 7 of us. We were told that the taxis would not go until 7 AM. We talked them into going ahead and taking us then. They charged us 5 E each, which we thought was fine, as the ship shuttle was 5 $ each, and then you would have to get a bus onto the train station. Someone I talked to later, left around 7:30 and got a taxi van to the station for 20 E for 8 people, so a better deal, but later arrival in Florence. We arrived at the train station and made the 7:11 train.

Cost was 6.5 E per person, each way. Always buy 2nd class, although I think that is all that was available on this train. The train takes 1 hr 15 min - 1 hr 30 min, depending on which one you catch, so that is why we wanted the earliest one possible, to allow more time in Florence. In the morning, buy your round trip ticket ( it will actually just be 2 one way tickets, to save time when you are leaving). Doesn't save you any money, just time. You are not restricted to any particular train or time. Good all day, for whichever one you take. Be careful and only validate one ticket on the way to Florence.

We made our reservations ahead of time for the Accademia in Florence to see the David. I had made reservations for the Accademia for 11:00. I called straight to the museum, to make these reservations. The phone number has been listed on here several times. It was a 2 - 3 min call, and they gave you a reservation number. They charge 6.5 E + 4 E fee, for a total of 10.5 E. You do not pay until you get there. There is a website on here where you can do the same thing, and pay with your credit card, but you do not have any choice of times before noon, if you do it online. If you call you can have any time after opening at 8:30 I think it was. Also, be careful. There are other websites on here that look like they are the official museum website, but they aren't. And the one I almost used by mistake charged 19 E per person.

We arrived in Florence at 8:33, walked to the Ponte Vecchio, about 10 min walk. Walked all around town, seeing sights on the outside. We were going to go into the Duomo, at 10:00 when it opened, but by the time we arrived there at 10 there was a very long line, so we skipped that, at that time. At 10 there were thousands of people/tour groups in the square at the Duomo. We walked around a little more then showed up at the Accademia for our reservation at 10:50. The best thing I ever did ! The line to get in without a reservation went around several blocks. We toured the Accademia, then went back to the Duomo around 12:00. The line then was only a 5 min wait. We then walked back thru town, shopped at the market, and made the train around 1:30. The train stopped in Pisa. We got off, and took the bus to the Tower, as described above. 1 E each way. You do not need a separate ticket to get off in Pisa. Very easy and doable in about an hour round trip.

Got back to Livorno, and hooked up with another couple for a taxi back to the port. It was either 10 E or 20 E for the 5 of us for the return, can't remember.

If I can be of any more help, please ask. We did most of the ports on our own, so I can tell you how we did it. We were in Monte Carlo (saw Eze, and Nice), Naples (train to Pompeii, and Sorrento), Santorini (rental car), Mykonos (rental car), Athens (metro and taxi), Katakolon (Olympia by train), Corfu (Old Town by bus). We did a private tour in Kudasi to Ephesus. The tour was very nice.

Have a great trip ! :)

Your train page/s have been in my favourites for the last couple of weeks - so just wanted the opportunity to say thanks - these are great:D

GSPlover, I want to second this post with another big thank you! I was amazed when I first opened the link to your train info. So kind of you to share your knowledge. :)

Thank-you everyone! This is one of the best threads for travelers to Livorno. With the detailed post by kwk1955 & GPSLover's train scedule, I can plan our day wth ease. Good to see a positive thread for once!!:D

If I can be of any more help, please ask. We did most of the ports on our own, so I can tell you how we did it. We were in Monte Carlo (saw Eze, and Nice), Naples (train to Pompeii, and Sorrento), Santorini (rental car), Mykonos (rental car), Athens (metro and taxi), Katakolon (Olympia by train), Corfu (Old Town by bus). We did a private tour in Kudasi to Ephesus. The tour was very nice.

Have a great trip ! :)

Amazing to run into this thread...I'm doing the HAL Venice--Barcelona run on 6/24 and can't wait. Thanks so much!!

KWK1955, we're also stopping in Naples, Pompeii, Sorrento (using GSPLover info) and Cannes. Did you do the hydrofoil from Sorrento back to the ship? In Cannes, we wanted to see Grasse, St. Paul, Monaco, etc. The ship doesn't offer a combined tour, only 1/2 day with Grasse and St. Paul. Renting a minivan is about $450 for the day. Can you post or email that info as well? :confused:

Thank you.

This is just so much wonderful information. Thank you to everyone. GSPLover, will you be updating before June 10th? :D

I have started my updating (not yet online) but have encountered very few changes (a minute or two here and there).

KWK1955, we're also stopping in Naples, Pompeii, Sorrento (using GSPLover info) and Cannes. Did you do the hydrofoil from Sorrento back to the ship? In Cannes, we wanted to see Grasse, St. Paul, Monaco, etc. The ship doesn't offer a combined tour, only 1/2 day with Grasse and St. Paul. Renting a minivan is about $450 for the day. Can you post or email that info as well? :confused:

Thank you.

We didn't do the hydrofoil back, but took the train back to Naples. We had planned to do the hydrofoil, but the day we were there, the water was quite choppy. I had read that it could be an unpleasant trip if bad water. So, went back by train. A nice ride of about 50 min - 1 hr 5 min , depending on which train you take. Pretty scenery, and only 3 E per person, as opposed to 11 E on the hydrofoil. We had 5 people, so it was quite a difference in price.

Please email me and I will be glad to give you more info.

Email me at : heaterrob at aol dot com

Have a good trip ! :)

I'll be putting together a day by day Grand Med for self guided in the next few days. Mine will be VCE to BCN, so times may vary if you are going the opposite route. However I spent the entire day in Capri and it was well worth it. However in re: Ana Capri, there are lots of buses on Capri. We rented a 6 person cab for the day at $120 for all of us. These cabs are beautys too, convertible limousines, just bring your own wine and limoncello.

Same as above, will post day by day in next few days. If you PM me I will send you my email, or you could even call me if you like. The trick is to find other people with your same interests who want to save money alongside with you. In re: Florence, very simply town to navigate and compact. We went right to the church with the big dome. Went up the dome and it was breathtaking, much like the one in the Basillica in Rome. 450 steps to top, but worth it. Then we left, went to the church with the famous dead Italians. Went to the river, saw some bridges. And then we found a GEM of an Italian Market that was HUGE!!! It was hidden in an old train station and it's ABSOLUTLEY amazing. Free samples from hundreds of vendors. Some samples are entire sandwiches. Then we had some wine, saw some Piazza's and then headed back to train round 3 for Pisa. Got off train, took $1 bus to Pisa, took some pics holding up the tower, turned around and was back on the next train coming through. Even had enough time to spend in Livorno for an hour before we caught a cab back to the boat. Give me a few days and I'll post it all with prices. Like I said, we saw twice as much as any best excursion and saved upwards of 95% in costs. Our most expensive day for travel was $20 PP for the Capri taxi. More info forthcoming.

I've heard that the trains go on strike frequently in Italy. Do you have a Plan B, if the trains are on strike?

I've heard that the trains go on strike frequently in Italy. Do you have a Plan B, if the trains are on strike?

What you have heard is somebody's variation of what they have heard from somebody else. They are not that frequent. I have taken well over 150 trains in Italy and have only been impacted three times (2 under 30 min and one about an hour). The strikes, most often, are against a particular segment and quite often only one particular train. Strikes are posted on the internet on a daily basis (which does not mean to imply that they happen daily - because they do not).

I don't care how you are traveling in Italy, always have a plan B. You probably may never use it, but always have an alternative plan.

Hi -- we will be on the Ruby on July 26th. Would you please give me the details of how you did Pompeii/Sorrento? Would you please email me at gsimmons1@socal.rr.com? The private tours are a little pricey and was looking for a DIY port. Had my heart set on Sorrento and the rest of the family wants to see Pompeii. Thanks much!

If you have train questions, check the train link in my sig line. Information from somebody who has taken 150+ trains in Italy over the years.

Your train information is invaluable. I printed everything and put it in my folder for Italy. THANK YOU!!!

Hi -- we will be on the Ruby on July 26th. Would you please give me the details of how you did Pompeii/Sorrento? Would you please email me at gsimmons1@socal.rr.com? The private tours are a little pricey and was looking for a DIY port. Had my heart set on Sorrento and the rest of the family wants to see Pompeii. Thanks much!
I did Capri for the day and loved it. However heard lots of good things of Pompeii/Sorrento. Most the DIY's took cabs for the day runs about $150. Not bad and if you get a good english speaking cabbie he'll give you a great private tour. A much better and more personal experience than excursions and you can move at YOUR own pace.

I did Capri for the day and loved it. However heard lots of good things of Pompeii/Sorrento. Most the DIY's took cabs for the day runs about $150. Not bad and if you get a good english speaking cabbie he'll give you a great private tour. A much better and more personal experience than excursions and you can move at YOUR own pace.

would love to hear more about your DIY trip details! fam of 4 also going on princess, BCN-VCE in sept. also planning to save money by going to places on our own.

will you be posting details soon? :D

Your train information is invaluable. I printed everything and put it in my folder for Italy. THANK YOU!!!

Just wait till you see what I'm going to turn loose at the end of the week. To/from printable schedules on one page! Going through final testing yet again to be certain everything is ok.

• 2 weeks later...

What a great thread.

GSPLover. Thank you so much for your time/effort putting together the Train information. We are a family of 8 and even doing the private tours, 11 ports in 14 days -- the expenses add up quickly. After reading your info, we will be doing Livorno to Florence with a quick stop in Pisa.

We will be cruising in Oct from Venice to Barcelona. (Celebrity Summit)

I was hoping to be able to do the Naples stop on our own. Would like to go to Pompeii via train..I guess. Any info on this would be appreciated. We are there from 8:00am - 8:00pm (on a Sunday) Also considering Capri.

Also need to mention, that 3 of the eight of us (parents and aunt) are over the age of 70. Which is why I tried to do private tours for the bulk of our trip.

The can walk with no problem....just not as fast, and they will have to rest more often.

The following day is a 10 hour private tour in Rome.

After typing this, It may be a better idea to see Capri..maybe a little less demanding for my parents.

Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks to all

What a great thread.

GSPLover. Thank you so much for your time/effort putting together the Train information. We are a family of 8 and even doing the private tours, 11 ports in 14 days -- the expenses add up quickly. After reading your info, we will be doing Livorno to Florence with a quick stop in Pisa.

We will be cruising in Oct from Venice to Barcelona. (Celebrity Summit)

I was hoping to be able to do the Naples stop on our own. Would like to go to Pompeii via train..I guess. Any info on this would be appreciated. We are there from 8:00am - 8:00pm (on a Sunday) Also considering Capri.

Also need to mention, that 3 of the eight of us (parents and aunt) are over the age of 70. Which is why I tried to do private tours for the bulk of our trip.

The can walk with no problem....just not as fast, and they will have to rest more often.

The following day is a 10 hour private tour in Rome.

After typing this, It may be a better idea to see Capri..maybe a little less demanding for my parents.

Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks to all

I don't not see a problem with your family group doing Livorno/Florence/Pisa on your own. Pretty much level ground and easy walking.

Pompeii on your own should be relatively easy. Try, initially, to get a taxi to the train station. If you run into resistance with the taxi drivers, take a bus (#1 - details are on my train site). Pompeii Scavi station is a very short, easy walk to the ruins.

Capri is not a bad alternative. Especially if nobody is afraid of heights as the chair lift from Anacapri to the mountain top is a must see. Keep in mind that Capri is far from being level and many of the streets are quite steep!

I think, given the make up of your group, a trip to Pompeii (maybe 1½ to 2 hr) followed by a couple hours in Sorrento might very well be your best itinerary. [Check the Italy/Crotia review on my website as that is exactly whta we did.]

what do you suggest doing in Pisa/Florence, we originally booked an excursion through the ship that went to pisa and a day at a resort beach but now we are not so sure especially spending all that money in case it rains. We are a family of 5 with 3 teenagers, what would you suggest? thanks for your help!

This imfo is amazing,we will be in Livorno ,citt.naples.Athens Santorini Mykonos,Kudsasi July 20th-02 Aug

I would be interested in hire cars because my mum 86 is coming and 17yr old d/d,cant decide if mums electric scooter will be of use as we have been before and europe is hilly ,but mum cant walkvery well and I dont want to leave her on the ship alone every day .

We have toured Europe and Florida with her and shes up for most things,but any advice on best routes for me would be a blessing thanks,also which company to hire cars from,

Archived