Vancouver Hotel Question

FORGET IT!!!

While you might like the price as it is a budget hotel it is located in the middle of our slum called the Downtown Eastside one of the worst neighbourhoods in the country.

I related this story earlier and will post it again.

Coming back from a cruise on the bus from Seattle I sat next to a young European lad who was going to stay at that hotel - told him about the area but he wasn't too concerned as he was young and from Europe and wasn't going to worry to much about it.

That night a body was found in one of the rooms.

It wasn't him because it was an older person.

I rest my case. It is too bad because this hotel years ago wasn't that bad but the area around has gotten steadily worse over the years.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

If you are looking for budget accommodation and don't want a hostel dorm room here are a couple of suggestions

There is the YWCA hotel on Beatty Street:

http://www.ywcahotel.com/

or this older hotel on Granville St:

http://www.hostels.com/hosteldetails.php/HostelNumber.24273

The hotel itself will be fine and there are lots of restaurants and bars in the area - the only concern that I will mention is that it is located in our entertainment district which while not as dynamic as Times Square can get noisy at times especially on weekends, Canucks and BC Lions football nights and special events.

I can attest to the area as I lived only two blocks from this hotel and frequent some of the bars and eateries in the area.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Does anyone have any experience with the Hotel Patricia on East Hastings Street?

RUN, DON'T STOP.

You'd be hard pressed to find a dodgier property in Vancouver.

Check Priceline, a lot of people are getting deals at 5 star properties downtown for $100

PD - are you talking the area around the hotel, the condition of the rooms or the entertainment in the pubs.

As a long time regular of the old American Hotel I use to get to visit the Cobalt when we wanted a break from watching the "girls" perform at the American and would "cruise" across the street for a different type of entertainment - I remember going to the Men's room and I swear that the urinal was actually the earth below us.

Anyways - I feel somewhat sorry for the "Pat" as I think they are trying to run a decent property in an area that is not very decent.

Pittsburgh now back in the series with the win tonight - I was a little worried that Detroit would cruise to a four game sweep.

Did you see the interview with Bettman - boy has he developed a knack for cruising around a subject but then I guess we should expect that since he is a lawyer.

Time to cruise over to another thread an see what damage I can inflict.

Cheers

Dennis

OK, here's another question: Does anyone know what the 2.5 star Hotwire hotel in the Entertainment District is? It's been suggested it might be the Ramada Inn & Suites on Granville; any feelings about that hotel?

OK, here's another question: Does anyone know what the 2.5 star Hotwire hotel in the Entertainment District is? It's been suggested it might be the Ramada Inn & Suites on Granville; any feelings about that hotel?

It could be that or the Comfort Inn or even the Best Western Chateau Granville. I don't like to recommend the neighborhood because of the bars, nightclubs, pawn shops, adult book shops and the whole street scene. All of that said its head and shouders above the Patricia. You may want to go on Priceline.com and bid for a room in the Downtown-Vancouver area as we have been reading of many posters getting 3.5* to 5* hotel rooms for under $100. I would start at $65 and if I hadn't got what I wanted at the price I wanted then would go back to the offereing on Hotwire.

RHefley228 - PD and I have had this debate before regarding the Granville Street entertainment district hotels - it could also be the Howard Johnson property as well - the hotel properties are fine and the entire length of Granville St is being rebuilt and several new businesses - restaurants and even a skateboard manufacturing store are going in.

Since I walk the area daily I can say that there are now more street people on Davie than Granville - the BW Chateau Granville has a new restaurant and bar called the Edge on Granville opening later this month - the Howard Johnson is redoing their store front - as long was you don't mind the more party like atmosphere and noise associated with it you won't have a problem in this locale.

Since the City and Police started closing off parts of Granville to cars on weekends the number of major incidents has dropped as well as the bars etc implementing Bar Watch - a program that weeds out known troublemakers.

Do follow up on PD's idea with Priceline but if price is still an issue I wouldn't worry too much about the hotels.

The Ramada by the way is at the top or quieter end of the ED and I see lots of seniors, families etc coming and going as my favorite bar is across the street and coffee shop next door.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Thank you both for your advice. I followed up with both Priceline and Hotwire and booked the Ramada for $60 US. I found a great article (http://www.nowpublic.com/crime/vancouver-cobalt-hotel-dont-show-your-money-upstairs) about the Cobalt Hotel you mentioned. I had no idea you folks had so much fun in Vancouver. My wife and I live two blocks from Times Square in what is now a very peaceful, safe area, but which at one time could have given the area around the Patricia a run for its money (35 years ago there was a pitched battle in front of the building between the female hookers on 9th Avenue and the transvestite hookers on 10th), so I think we'll be fine in the ED. Thanks again.

Congrats on getting that Ramada for that price - since you are into researching some of the Vancouver hotels - that Ramada used to be the old Austin Hotel - drank in it a few times before it was converted to the Ramada.

They have a pub restaurant called the Morrisey there now that has a fairly good menu if you just want some pub fare - I have enjoyed the fish and chips a couple of times and my usual drinking and eating buddy has ordered the Lamb Stew which he describes as great and he is much more a gourmet food person that I am.

Once the rebuild of Granville Street is completed later this year - the street will have lots more outdoor patios and street cafes - the area by your hotel is mostly complete - the City's plan is to return Granville Street to what it was years ago when PD and I were just little kids growing up in the City and that is a better gateway to the downtown core - there is lots of neon along the street so you will get a little bit a taste of Times Square as you stroll along it.

Cheers

Dennis

Drove through the "Entertainment District" around 10 PM last weekend. As a small town kid and conservative type of traveler I just found the whole scene way beyond me. Guess I'm getting old. Traffic was just nutz... mainly I think because of the construction. I saw more Police in that stretch that anywhere lately. At least since attending my last riot. :D

Everything was orderly however. Just busy and active and all that stuff that goes to making a great evening if you are into that scene.

While eating lunch yesterday at one of the fast food outlets on Granville the restaurant all of a sudden became busy when a large group of teens came in for a Big Mac - from their accents - British - I could tell that they were visitors to our fair city - in the course of the conversation they mentioned that they were staying at the Ramada on Granville and had no issues with it. While 16 year olds aren't career travelers they are at an age where if they don't like something they will let the world know so it looks like your hotel choice will be fine.

Cheers

Dennis

EAST HASTINGS STREET, .......... my girlfriend and I were walking around Gastown at approx.10:30a.m. We knew not to walk on EHS but made the wrong right turn. Within a few seconds a police car pulled up beside us and the female office said "Are we lost ladies", she followed us in her cruiser till we reached a safe street.

Now we laugh about the experience, but certainly didn't then.

Archived