Touring from Civitavecchia besides Rome?

I'm on Century in September for a 7-day western med cruise from Barcelona with a stop in Civitavecchia. Since I will already have been in Rome for several days before flying to Barcelona, I'm wondering if there are other good non-Rome options for travel from Civitavecchia? (eg Tarquinia, etc). Does anyone have experience or recommendations with doing either ship's tours or on their own from Civitavecchia?

I'm on Century in September for a 7-day western med cruise from Barcelona with a stop in Civitavecchia. Since I will already have been in Rome for several days before flying to Barcelona, I'm wondering if there are other good non-Rome options for travel from Civitavecchia? (eg Tarquinia, etc). Does anyone have experience or recommendations with doing either ship's tours or on their own from Civitavecchia?

We spent a day and night pre-cruise in Civitavecchia. Took a local bus to Tarquinia and back. Beautiful old walled town. Great Etruscan museum. On a nice day, it would be great to spend the whole day there. (Our day was wet and cold - mid 50s, and windy. Will go back again someday.

Bus was €7,50 RT for 2. Very comfortabe bus - not your typical city bus. About a 20-25 minute ride from Civitavecchia. Check the cruise link in sig line below and you'll find more details.

We are going from Rome airpot to Civitavecchia to board our cruise. We have rented a car at the airport and plan to stop at Ostio Antica(?) and the small town of Ceri on the way. If we have the time, we may also stop at Cervitiri. It is my understanding that Ostio Antica is about 45 minutes from Civitavecchia, and the other towns are closer yet.

We spent a day and night pre-cruise in Civitavecchia. Took a local bus to Tarquinia and back. Beautiful old walled town. Great Etruscan museum. On a nice day, it would be great to spend the whole day there. (Our day was wet and cold - mid 50s, and windy. Will go back again someday.

Bus was €7,50 RT for 2. Very comfortabe bus - not your typical city bus. About a 20-25 minute ride from Civitavecchia. Check the cruise link in sig line below and you'll find more details.

Great info...thanks. I was also interested to read that you did Cinque Terre on your own. I was wondering about doing it (on my own or ship's tour) but don't know whether to use the Portofino or Livorno day for Cinque Terre. I want to spend some time in Portofino (at least to have one $10 beer or cappuccino!) but I have also never seen Florence. Any advice on this one?

Great info...thanks. I was also interested to read that you did Cinque Terre on your own. I was wondering about doing it (on my own or ship's tour) but don't know whether to use the Portofino or Livorno day for Cinque Terre. I want to spend some time in Portofino (at least to have one $10 beer or cappuccino!) but I have also never seen Florence. Any advice on this one?

If you have never been to Florence, go to Florence! Been there many, many times and will always go back on any trip to Italy!

I'm on a cruise that stops in Civitavecchia in a few weeks and also do not want to revisit Rome (there last year for 5 days). I have rented a car from Avis who has a office right by the port entrance and will be driving to Civita di Bagnoregio and Orvieto. You can get some info on these sites here http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/destinations/italy/civitabd.htm and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orvieto I dowloaded directions and also have a GPS unit so I am feeling confident :o (I think). This will be my first car rental in Eupope so I am a bit nervous.

Cinqu Terre is also supposed to be quite nice (my second choice) and is accessable by train - there are other threads that address getting there.

Irene

Try Ostia Antica which I preferred to Pompeii. It is 15 minutes from the airport so for us was a great option at the end of our cruise to the airport.

The little town of Ceri is also nice and also Bracciano Castle.

I'm on a cruise that stops in Civitavecchia in a few weeks and also do not want to revisit Rome (there last year for 5 days). I have rented a car from Avis who has a office right by the port entrance and will be driving to Civita di Bagnoregio and Orvieto. You can get some info on these sites here http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/destinations/italy/civitabd.htm and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orvieto I dowloaded directions and also have a GPS unit so I am feeling confident :o (I think). This will be my first car rental in Eupope so I am a bit nervous.

Cinqu Terre is also supposed to be quite nice (my second choice) and is accessable by train - there are other threads that address getting there.

Irene

We did Siena and Civita from Rome last year but we were staying overnight in Rome.

Hi Cheffip

Oh... Italy - I never loose the occasion to talk about this country.

I've been several times in Italy and I think of knowing sufficiently its natural and artistic beauties.

If your cruise ends at Civitavecchia and you have two more days to spend, I suggest you to visit Florence with overnight and the following day to go to Assisi.

These are very artistic cities. You may get in touch withseveral limousinge tour companies that you can choose from internet.

When we been in Florence, from Civitavecchia, we used http://www.italydrivinguide.com and we spent a comfortable trip with efficient driver guide.

If you have only one day at your disposal you may choose for example Assisi or Naples and Pompei.

These cities can be reached in 3 hours and you won't be problems for return to Civitavecchia dock.

Have a nice vacation in Italy and say hallo on my behalf.

Bye Gunther from Frankfurt

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and foee 'vWWWebe hire Wevtime at your dis

• 2 weeks later...

We are planning on spending the day in Civitavecchia and wondering if anyone has gone to the nearby Thermal Baths? Looking for ideas and suggestions for an interesting day in the area.

Many thanks

Kathy:)

Hi Cheffip

Oh... Italy - I never loose the occasion to talk about this country.

I've been several times in Italy and I think of knowing sufficiently its natural and artistic beauties.

If your cruise ends at Civitavecchia and you have two more days to spend, I suggest you to visit Florence with overnight and the following day to go to Assisi.

These are very artistic cities. You may get in touch withseveral limousinge tour companies that you can choose from internet.

When we been in Florence, from Civitavecchia, we used http://www.italydrivinguide.com and we spent a comfortable trip with efficient driver guide.

If you have only one day at your disposal you may choose for example Assisi or Naples and Pompei.

These cities can be reached in 3 hours and you won't be problems for return to Civitavecchia dock.

Have a nice vacation in Italy and say hallo on my behalf.

Bye Gunther from Frankfurt

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and foee 'vWWWebe hire Wevtime at your dis

Dear Gunther, thank you for the information about going to Florence from the port city. I did write to them asking how far it is from the port to Florence (in time), and how far Assisi is from Florence. I have much research to do, and this is a good start. Again, thank you. It has been many, many years since I have traveled through Italy (by train). elaine

Archived