Thrifty rental car service: the good, the bad, the ugly

DOC1

Family of 5 plus inlaws just off the POA. I wanted to share some thoughts and tips about our experiences with Thrifty. We did get a "blue chip" card before leaving, more on that later.

Maui: Excellent service at this port and the blue chip did decrease our wait a little but not a lot. The Thrifty office is clean with AC and a very courteous staff. The office is only about a 2-5 minute shuttle ride from the port. The overnight parking fills up fast and we almost didn't find a spot, but did eventually.

Hilo: The absolute worst part of the trip. Only one small shuttle bus that carries maybe 12-15 people and you cannot stand up and squeeze more people on. We waited over 30 minutes just trying to get to the office. All the rental car offices are outside, across the street from the airport (no AC). HINT: All the different rental car offices are together---if one was inclined, you could ride any bus to the terminal, they don't ask for any paperwork or proof that you're actually renting from them. Some have much larger buses. The office at the airport only had one person working the desk. The blue chip line was not open and even if it was, I value my life too much, as everyone in line was not in a good mood. They eventually opened a second line after everyone started complaining. Some of the other rentals also had long lines. The whole process is terrible. We like to go it alone, and not do the ship's tours, but this is one place I would reconsider and do a ship based tour. We lost over an hour, maybe 90 minutes, of our day waiting on a car.

Kuai: Pretty bad here also. At least the office is inside with AC. There was a blue chip line that was not open. I stood in it for 10 minutes and was ignored and got back in the regular line. There were 3 people at the desk. Enough people lined up at the blue chip line that they started "working them into" the regular line. Service was nice, but still slow and took at least an hour overall. Last return shuttle is an early 7:45 pm on an overnight port.

Honolulu: Excellent service here also. The driver helped with all our 7 bags and radioed ahead and told the office we were blue chip members and had the car waiting and ready when we arrived.

Blue chip: Make sure the card is in the name of the person going to get the car. Ours was in my wife's name and she discovered at the first port her driver's liscence had just expired. Therefore any paperwork and reservations had to be redone in my name and any benefits of the card besides saving time did not apply to her card. The blue chip saved us a little time at two places, and none at the others. Many people besides us were not happy with the slow service. The ship only comes to each port once a week and is the only ship there, you would think they would prepare a little better. Hope this helps someone on the next cruise.

Did Hertz also have long lines? They have a gold membership I am considering. It lets you go right to car.
I am a Hertz gold member, and it was worth every penny in Kauai...no waiting in line, spotted my name on the board, walked right to my car and drove off:) Note that the gold level service is not available for your first rental as a gold member...that first time you need to wait in line to sign some paperwork...so be forewarned. We used Thrifty in Maui without problems and Harpers in Hilo (also excellent)...would assume that gold level service is available in Honolulu and Maui, but not sure about Hilo.

We used Hertz, Dollar & Thrifty and had Gold/Express/Blue Chip status with them all for our POA cruise last month (5/2 sailing) and also found the pier shuttle & pickup service with Thrifty at Hilo to be the worst. It was made worst as our departure at Pier 2 in HNL was almost 1 1/2 hour late at 9:30 pm instead of 8 pm due to NCL directly-booked pax on a late arriving flights. Next morning, our first stop was Hilo and it was an hour late at 9 am instead of scheduled 8 am for a shortened 8 hour stay (vs. 9 hours) so everyone was trying to get to their tours, NCL or otherwise to make the most out of that port.

Thrifty had the smallest shuttle among all car rental agencies picking up at the pier and it was standing room only with probably 20 people squeezed inside and at least 15 people stranded for the next shuttle. We, too, decided to pay for a taxi @ $21 with tips to get over to the airport for our pickup - one CSR working only when we arrived, trying to take care of dropoffs & pickups, and BC customers - 2nd. agent didn't show up until like 20 or 30 minutes later, and slowed down further by the duplicate inspection sheet for nicks, dents, chips & body damage that we're asked to go over, sign & dropoff at the box before leaving. Our BC reservation was ready so once it was our turn, it was quick - took just another 5 minutes. The lines at the Dollar counter was just as bad, if not longer - don't remember if they had 2 agents or just 1 and # of online CRT. Hertz had the shortest line and had we factor in the extra $21 cab ride, the pricing difference would've tilted toward Hertz with their Gold Service.

We used Dollar in Maui and it went smoothly for our 2 day rental. Using Thrifty again in Kona, BI at the hotel across the street from the tender pier was not a problem for us with just one CSR working, our BC paperwork was there. In Kauai, we used Hertz with pickup at the Marriott resort near the pier and airport dropoff the next day, and got the shuttle back to the pier and it was simple.

We got followup emails surveying our rental experience from Thrifty & Dollar, so they definitely got our negative feedbacks for Kona.

Pre- & post-cruise at Honolulu, we used Thrifty for our rentals and they're basically okay, shuttle drivers were courteous & friendly - but did ran into confusion with the pier pickup when we disembarked as the local CRS answering the phone not being specific, resulting in another family and us waiting for over an hour outside the fenced gate instead of inside the secured terminal parking area. Thrifty is the only agencies picking up and returning pax to the HNL cruise pier whereas others will only shuttle from Waikiki and the one-way dropoff fee was very, very high when I priced it.

We did save money bypassing our prime choice of using Hertz for this cruise - it's pricey vs. the other 2 but the interior was sort of "dirty" and not exceed/meet the typical Hertz standards that we've come to expect at other rental locations on the "mainland"

:eek: Oh My Gosh ! Ya guys are scaring me !! I already made an reservations with Thrifty in Maui , Kauai , and Hilo !! I also already signed up for the Blue Chip Card . I can picture myself running around like an headless chicken !! :eek:

:eek: I already made an reservations with Thrifty in Maui , Kauai , and Hilo !! I also already signed up for the Blue Chip Card . I can picture myself running around like an headless chicken !! :eek:

No need to panic - just beware of these possible "bottlenecks" and follow those red wild roosters running (roamming) around freely all over the islands - especially in Kauai, and you will be fine (okay, always have a sense of humor, it's a vacation and anything goes, it's freestyle). Those roosters are truely the ones running around carefree everywhere.

On a more serious note, car rentals in Maui & Kauai with Thrifty and/or Dollar should be fine since it's an overnight stay & your rental period is for 24 hours even if you aren't keeping it for day #2 for additional $$.

The stop at Hilo is the one at most risk for "Murphy's Law" to kick in since all abroad is 4:30 p.m. for 5:00 p.m. sailing. We arrived over 1 hour late & even sailaway onward to the next port was delayed for 1 hour to 6 p.m. - the last Thrifty shuttle between the airport & the pier was at 4:30 p.m. and prompted us to condense our original plan & begin heading back toward the airport/ship after 3 p.m. and snacking only on the move w. a quick stop at the local 7-11.

I was told that Dollar no longer has cars at the hotel, only Thrify. I was then told that the Thrifty office closes at 12 noon and I would have to return the car by then.....

Did anyone else run into this situation?

I was told that Dollar no longer has cars at the hotel, only Thrify. I was then told that the Thrifty office closes at 12 noon and I would have to return the car by then.....

Did anyone else run into this situation?

That's corrrect, the single desk inside the hotel's lobby is shared/used by Thrifty & Dollar. When we picked up ours with Thrifty there several weeks ago, there was just one agent working.

It has a drop box for returning the keys w. the rental agreement after the desk is closed (don't remember whether it was 12 noon or 3 pm for us then.) Just refill the gas tank full & then drive it back inside the hotel's parking lot (just tell the parking attendant at the gate you are returning a rental) and park at designated slots, note the mileage & drop the keys inside the locked box as you head back toward the tender boat pier for the ship.

:eek: Oh My Gosh ! Ya guys are scaring me !! I already made an reservations with Thrifty in Maui , Kauai , and Hilo !! I also already signed up for the Blue Chip Card . I can picture myself running around like an headless chicken !! :eek:

I agree with mking8288, Maui and Kauai should be fine, but if I had to do it over again, in Hilo I would think about a ship tour or an independent that has it's own transportation like Robert's. Or just realize it's gonna take a while and get off the ship early. And who knows, the blue chip line might be open when you're there:).

Yep- it was Dollar in Kona at the hotel. They do close at noon butyou just leave the car there with the keys in the box. It was very paineless and easy.

So do I have this right? You can pick up the car at 8AM when they open but drop it off any time? when I checked with Budget (or Dollar -forget which), I was quoted total of $63 for 4 hours (because they close at 12 noon) which seems rather steep compared to the other islands

Thanks, Sue

• Administrators

To the OP, thanks for this great information for Hawaii car renters! To Thrifty -- this is only the latest in a LONG line of reports here at CC about how completely (ridiculously) bad the Kauai Thrifty office is, even with Blue Chip members. Does that company not have anyone who "googles" to read these reports and try to correct things? In addition to trying to help fellow travelers, I've always kind of hoped while I write reports and reviews that perhaps someone from the company is also reading them. Apparently Thrifty has decided it's not worth the effort. :rolleyes:

I will be thinking twice (or more often) about booking Thrifty in the future, for this reason. I'm glad that for my cruise this summer Alamo was more convenient.

I agree with mking8288, Maui and Kauai should be fine, but if I had to do it over again, in Hilo I would think about a ship tour or an independent that has it's own transportation like Robert's. Or just realize it's gonna take a while and get off the ship early. And who knows, the blue chip line might be open when you're there:).

Hmmm.... We are gonna go cancel the Thrifty for Hilo and go with the Ship Shore . Thanks for helping a newbies like me ! :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
Getting concerned about rentals in Hilo. Is Thrifty the only one that returns you to the pier ? Other then Hertz which is soo expensive are there any other car rentals that are good?

So far as I know, all the car rentals will return you to the pier assuming they have picked you up there earlier. We usually seem to be renting Thrifty, and so far haven't had any trouble, even in Hilo. But there's always next time.

So far as I know, all the car rentals will return you to the pier assuming they have picked you up there earlier. We usually seem to be renting Thrifty, and so far haven't had any trouble, even in Hilo. But there's always next time.

Hi, I have a question?? I booked with www.discounthawaiicarrental.com & www.hawaiicarrentals.net and both of these sites said they do not offer shuttle from pier to airport (Hilo)!!! They said I had to book directly with car rental... On these sites it says pier pick up and after reserving my car they say they don't do shuttle. One was with Avis and the other was Thrifty. I am confused!!! Please explain and or help!!! Thanks

Archived