SS guarantee cabin allocation

maddie2312

Hi All,

Looking forward to my first SS cruise in 52 days!:D When I booked I had two particular cabin numbers in mind, my TA told me I could request specific cabins but they could not be guaranteed, this is also written on my SS guest confirmation sheet. I noticed on the confirmation under cabin number it says GTY. So I'm guessing I'm in a guarantee status situation. When/how do SS notify you of your cabin allocation? as I know many lines are different.

Thanks, Maddie

Hi All, Looking forward to my first SS cruise in 52 days!:D When I booked I had two particular cabin numbers in mind, my TA told me I could request specific cabins but they could not be guaranteed, this is also written on my SS guest confirmation sheet. I noticed on the confirmation under cabin number it says GTY. So I'm guessing I'm in a guarantee status situation. When/how do SS notify you of your cabin allocation? as I know many lines are different. Thanks, Maddie

Hi maddie2312

When I booked my SS cruise, I had a choice of suites in the category I wanted and so I chose one and that was it.

I've had a few quotes recently and each time I have been given a list of suite numbers that are available.

I note that you are in Scotland so maybe different countries have different systems.

I understand that Seabourn have a run of ship (guarantee) system and you are notified a month before you go of your suite number.

Have a great trip.

Cheers

ging466

Normally in GTY, you would be in a category, and that is your minimum. As was stated in another post, it is often about a month out. You can start calling once a week if you don't hear something by then. Guarantee starts coming to play when the ship is nearly full sometimes or at least your category.

Thanks all for your advice. I called our TA who checked with SS, they said we will be able to call for our cabin number 20 days before departure if we wish. I mentioned to my TA that others got to pick their cabin number and she said it might be because it is the UK office she deals with and different in the US. Strange if that's the case:confused:. She also confirmed that we would not get an upgrade, so with only 6 cabins in our category what is so hard to give us a number.

Anyway not going to let this spoil my excitement and after seeing Dellas1000 fantastic pictures of all areas onboard ; I can't wait!

Regards Maddie

PS Ibkside - looking forward to any hints and tips you can post before we go especially Arctic specific. Enjoy!:D

All very simple.

When capacity is tight you will get a guarantee for the category you

requested or higher. Never book a guarenatee you'll not be happy with on the cruise. On Silversea, unless you need a top end suite, all are equal. Notification can be at anytime; be happy and enjoy.

Actually, on the PAII most of cabins are not equal, unlike on their other ships -

Adventurer - 175 - 184 Sq ft. with portholes

Explorer - 185 - 275 sq ft with view window

View - 230 sq ft. with view window

Vista - 194-230 sq ft. with picture window - forward cabins are the smaller ones and have veiw windows

Veranda - 230 sq ft. with french balcony - the balcony takes up space, 15 sq. ft., which is why they are a bit smaller than the views or vistas

and then on up to the larger suites.

Maddie, what category did you book?

Looking at the number of cabins per category - you mention 6 in yours - you must be in either in Adventurer or Silver Suite. Assuming that you have a guarantee in Adventurer class you may well get an upgrade. Usually you get a guarantee if all cabins in that category are taken - they assume somebody will cancel and will guarantee you the same category or higher. If no cancellations, then they may move you up to a higher category.

Thanks Ibkside, it is indeed Adventurer class. We won't be in the cabin much so it is all about being there for us. Had similar on Celeb Xpedition and were fine.

Your explanation is what I thought but when the TA said "you don't have a chance of an upgrade" it made me wonder.

It's great to see the number of posts and interest in PAII grow as looking for info was a bit like being a pioneer at the beginning of the year!

Looking forward to all the new reviews.

Maddie

Hi Maddie - thanks for the info you gave me on a different post. I have been following the threads on the PAII and I am very excited that the ship is getting so much attention on this board. I read with enthusiasm everyone's comments and reviews on the PAII for we all know, information on this ship is so limited. I noticed that Dellas1000 was not able to photograph the Adventurer Class/Explorer Class staterooms and delighted that you are sailing in one. I would welcome any info you could share at the end of your cruise. We are contemplating Antarctica in Jan 2010 and would most likely be in one of the lower categories. I am very curious as to how the ship travels when one is situated so far forward - also can you enlighten us on storage and overall space. Many thanks :)

Hi Maddie, Bet you are excited with less than a week to go. I have a year and a week or so to go. Doing the same cruise 12 months time! Like others would be interested on details of Adventurer cabin and photos would be great if you can. I have been checking out the Longyearbyen port webcam and so give us a wave next Wednesday! Enjoy the trip and news on footwear and clothing and how easy Zodiacs are to use would be great.

Thanks

Hi Cambridge & GGC,

Cambridge I still have until 24th July before I sail, but getting very excited especially now we are getting more info and I am thinking about my packing list.

I will get my SO to take some photos of the cabin/bathroom but I will have to learn how to post them (new project!) I will certainly give my views and answer any questions when I get back.

I too have been watching the cam at lonyearbyn since January and the changes are amazing from dark + deep snow to light all night and snow in the distance.

I used zodiacs in galapogas and are very staright forward to get on/off. We had people from 9-90 and all managed fine. You use a wrist to wrist type handshake with a crew member as you step off the ship and hold on to a rope kind of looped behind you when you sit down. The zodiac drivers were highly skilled and we felt very safe (I am not a strong swimmer). Getting off was easy, they try to get as far up the beach as poss, you walk to the front of the zodiac to get off so every one only has a few feet to walk. Mind you Galapogas was sandals instead of wellies. Brrr! The zodiacs were good fun.

GGC - firstly you are from one of my favourite cities:D Again on Celeb Xpedition we were in a similar cabin, the first day we had a lot of open water to cover and although we weren't pitching or rolling the movement was enough for me to be seasick for the rest of the day. I took tablets and had my bands on:(. After that it was no problem at all. I do get car sick sometimes so I am a bit of a sensitive soul!

Breaking in my new walking this weekend so hopefully no blisters to report.lol

Regards maddie

Hi Cambridge & GGC,

Cambridge I still have until 24th July before I sail, but getting very excited especially now we are getting more info and I am thinking about my packing list.

I will get my SO to take some photos of the cabin/bathroom but I will have to learn how to post them (new project!) I will certainly give my views and answer any questions when I get back.

I too have been watching the cam at lonyearbyn since January and the changes are amazing from dark + deep snow to light all night and snow in the distance.

I used zodiacs in galapogas and are very staright forward to get on/off. We had people from 9-90 and all managed fine. You use a wrist to wrist type handshake with a crew member as you step off the ship and hold on to a rope kind of looped behind you when you sit down. The zodiac drivers were highly skilled and we felt very safe (I am not a strong swimmer). Getting off was easy, they try to get as far up the beach as poss, you walk to the front of the zodiac to get off so every one only has a few feet to walk. Mind you Galapogas was sandals instead of wellies. Brrr! The zodiacs were good fun.

GGC - firstly you are from one of my favourite cities:D Again on Celeb Xpedition we were in a similar cabin, the first day we had a lot of open water to cover and although we weren't pitching or rolling the movement was enough for me to be seasick for the rest of the day. I took tablets and had my bands on:(. After that it was no problem at all. I do get car sick sometimes so I am a bit of a sensitive soul!

Breaking in my new walking this weekend so hopefully no blisters to report.lol

Regards maddie

Maddie,

Sorry about mix up on dates. You'll have a chance to see the ship on the webcam on Wednesday then! Let us know about your trip when you get back. I'll wave at the screen!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

Just an update on my forth coming cruise on PAII a week on Friday. Still no tickets in the elusive silver box:( and still no cabin allocation:mad:. Called TA yesterday and was told different info this time "SS always send tickets between 10 days to one week before departure" Also "cabin can be allocated right up to departure." So the waiting game continues........

Packing list is done, everything is bought and anticipation is building!:D

Any other helpfull hints from previous guests would be great - what should you have brought but didn't?, what did you not need to bring?, What on board should I not miss. Any particular guides better than others?

Kind regards

Maddie

Well still no tickets yesterday (Friday):mad: Called TA again and told ""SS said they were couriered to us Wednesday but we didn't get them" I think they have been sent by courier pigeon!! "But it's OK, you can just pick them up at the airport" I then explained we had got our own air. "OK then, you can get them at the cruise terminal then". She obviously has never watched the Longyearbyen port webcam then. Beautiful view but basic to say the least.

http://www.portlongyear.no/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4&Itemid=4

I then raised my concern that if SS can't get my "silver box" a few miles in the UK how do I know it will be sent to the Arctic circle before me.:eek: I got no reply!! (encouraging) then "A-r-c-t-i-c---c-i-r-c-l-e,- OHH"

They said they will check their mail on Monday and call me. So my plans for the weekend of browsing through all the info sent have been scuppered; lets hope my much awaited cruise isin't.

Maddie

Maddie - you will just need your passport - they never asked for or looked at the cruise ticket, so don't worry about receiving it, although it would be nice for you to know your cabin #!

We got our cabin assignment after they sent the docs so they still had GTY on them. Your TA should be notified with your assignment when they finally get to it.

Thanks Ibkside,

Glad to hear I don't need tickets but would be good to have as a keepsake.

Any final bits of advice before I go. Things you took and didn't need or things you wish you had taken would be helpfull.

Scottjeanne - I checked with my agent on Friday and she said SS had couriered tickets to them but they never received them (so they have said) Cruise departs Fri 24th July and we leave Scotland the day before so getting a bit tight for time.

Enjoy your trip to.

Regards Maddie

Hi Maddie:

As I may have posted, there is no need to take rubber boots - the ship has a large supply of all sizes. I took my Leki hiking stick for landings, which I didn't realize that the ship provided, so I could have left that at home, plus none of the landing sites were slippery or treacherous. I took multiple pairs of ski gloves - one pair was fine, but definitely take liners. The parkas are really warm so I wouldn't pack too many fleece jackets, etc. to wear under them - I found that one light layer was fine and of course the ship is warm. Bring a hat that covers your ears in case it is windy - the parkas have hoods too.

Silversea sent our docs directly - they did not go to our TA first; of course that may be different in Scotland, but I imagine since you are so close to departure that they will also have sent them directly to you.

We'll all look forward to hearing all about your trip!

Leslie

Well we fly to Lonyearbyen in 3 days and still no cruise tickets.:mad: Called TA at lunch time as they didn't call me as promised. After a long time on hold they said SS would email the tickets to them, then they would forward to me. Now 5pm and no emails, so called TA again only to be told they have chased SS twice this afternoon and they have not sent it.:(

For a company that bases its self on luxury service I am very disappointed so far by their UK office. They told the TA last week they had been couriered over then another SS person said sent 1st class post. I don't know who to believe anymore.

Ibkside - thanks for the info the walking pole is coming back out then!

Looking forward to that welcome drink!!

Maddie

Archived