20 nights in Italy with carry on luggage only - Yes, you can!

This is great!! This really motivates me to pack ONLY things that I can carry-on while on my next cruise. I tested the waters out while I was in NYC for 5 nights, and it worked pretty well, so 7 nights shouldn't be much worse. My only issue is the fact that our ship doesn't have self-serve laundry; we have to pay someone else to do it.

You will be surprised at how little it will cost. When we go on a 7 night cruise, we don't have everything we take laundered or dry cleaned, just a few pieces and DH's underwear and socks. It usually comes to no more than $25. If you have to pay for a first piece of luggage, or $25 (each way) for an extra piece, you will be ahead of the game.

What we have laundered or dry cleaned are the clothes we embark in, so we can disembark in them. Plus my outfit from the first night, his casual night pants (he takes 2 pair) and one of his casual shirts. We'll wear those same clothes on the last night as well. If his shirt from his suit needs laundering, that goes into the bag as well the morning after the first formal. He does wear the same shirt twice, with different ties.

I do a bit of hand laundry in the sink. It's not a big deal at all, just a couple bras and underwear, I fill up the sink with soapy water and allow it all to soak whilst I take my shower. It's all dry by the evening and it's hung inside the shower, so no laundry line throughout the cabin.

"20 nights in Italy with carry on luggage only - Yes, you can!"

Uh... no you can't moreover why would you want too??!!It's not all about sightseeing.....or an award on efficient packing.;)

As I said, it's not for everyone.

And yes, I can and I did. So there.:p

I could definately do this, but no way hubs can. He refuses to do just carry one. He overpacks. I take things out when he isnt looking and he still has too many clothes. arggh MEN ! I told him on this 2 weeker, he will have to wash

I pack my shoes inside his shoes :)

But when I go with the girls it is carry on.

We have the quick dry undies, I have 2 reversible dresses.

I really have to change outfits cant go all day sweating in one . so will usually wear to dinner and wear the next day on excursion. standard black, white, khaki capri and skorts. a skirt and short in one, dining room and excursion , ta da.

I have to take "woobie" my soft blanket . I do sandals for walking and dressy sandals so they take up little room. Kindle takes place of my books. my only 311 problem is suntan lotion. I wash out the quick dry undies,thin gown and have a couple of the gauzy crinkle type shirts that I wash wad up and dry them.

I use the packing folder for hubs shirts. love them. I do not understand the cubes please let me know , what do you put in them???

another question. I read somewhere on here about prescription meds. what needs to be done differently for prescription pills when traveling abroad?

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Critterchick,

I am all for packing light and washing a few clothes on the go. To prepare for my upcoming cruise I tested packing for a week to St. Louis with only a duffle bag and a briefcase for my laptop & cameras.

It's amazing that it can be done especially if you pack with mix and match clothing. This includes my formal wear. I have a light weight black skirt and matching top. Over this I have a light weight jacket. I intermix this with two other tops for different looks.

I wear my athletic shoes on flight and pack two light weight sandals. One is a pair of flip flops and the other is for dress.

All of my toiletries are small sizes including my makeup. Whenever I purchase those gift sets from the makeup counters I save the samples for traveling. I have a small lipstick, eyeliner, eyeshadow case and foundation.

Everyone is amazed that I can do this but it saves me time and money. I'm not being charged the baggage fees and I don't have to stand at the baggage carousel watching suitcases go around for the 100th time.

I took my last cruise with my sister. She packed as if the cruise was going to last a month. In the end she only used half of the clothes. She purchased a few souveniers that added to the weight of her suitcase and made it through the baggage check-in with only 1 lb. to spare.

Packing light means I don't need to think about what to wear. Life becomes simplified and I get to enjoy traveling without the hassle of hauling around heavy suitcases. :)

BJ

I could definately do this, but no way hubs can. He refuses to do just carry one. He overpacks. I take things out when he isnt looking and he still has too many clothes. arggh MEN ! I told him on this 2 weeker, he will have to wash

I pack my shoes inside his shoes :)

But when I go with the girls it is carry on.

We have the quick dry undies, I have 2 reversible dresses.

I really have to change outfits cant go all day sweating in one . so will usually wear to dinner and wear the next day on excursion. standard black, white, khaki capri and skorts. a skirt and short in one, dining room and excursion , ta da.

I have to take "woobie" my soft blanket . I do sandals for walking and dressy sandals so they take up little room. Kindle takes place of my books. my only 311 problem is suntan lotion. I wash out the quick dry undies,thin gown and have a couple of the gauzy crinkle type shirts that I wash wad up and dry them.

I use the packing folder for hubs shirts. love them. I do not understand the cubes please let me know , what do you put in them???

another question. I read somewhere on here about prescription meds. what needs to be done differently for prescription pills when traveling abroad?

Love your "woobie" comment, I have to have my squishy pillow when we drive to port.

The cubes can be used for a variety of things, like your bottles of meds that you mention, it can keep them all in one place. I like the 2 sided cubes for underwear if we are doing a land trip or moving around a few times. One side has a card that says "dirty", they are plastic lines, so it's easy to keep them seperate.

I'll also use them for power and charger cords. I don't use the large cubes very often, just the smaller ones. Since I started working in a luggage store almost 2 years ago, I swear I have every size and configuration of folders, cubes, half cubes, padded cubes (use it for my DVD player) and cosmetic kit you can think of.

I also have too much luggage, especially small, cute pieces. Don't even ask how many small, cross body travel purses I have picked up...and passport wallets..at leat 3 or 4. Sometimes I wish they would stop making new styles :eek: I'm driving myself crazy!

I am currently working out what to pack for my 38 days away next March, bearing in mind that I have the dreaded 20kg checked in luggage limit and tween 6 and 9 formal nights on board the ship.

Decided on taking two cases...one to check in and one for hand luggage.

The smaller case, 18" roller, will have all the shoes - ie formals and flats for on board, a change of clothing incase the checked case goes walkies en-route and anything that won't fit into the larger 24" roller case.

I have done a practice pack and weigh and managed to come in under weight on both cases...12kg on the hand luggage and 20kg on the checked.

Consisting of...

25 x assorted t-shirts - long & short sleeved (long for shorex in Islamic countries out of consideration for local custom & culture)

12 x cotton gypsy style long skirts

6 x formal dresses (2 x cocktail & 4 x long evening)

3 x pairs of jeans

3 x pairs of 4" heels for formal nights

1 x pair of flats for the daytime when not in jeans

3 x hijab type scarves for shorex

1 x swimming cozzie & sarong

And the usual undies, nightwear and toiletries etc.

Was quite surprised to find that both cases had room to spare, so very happy with that :)

Now that I know exactly what I will be taking and which cases I will be using, it makes packing a whole lot easier, especially on such a long trip away. I won't be taking the laptop this time and with 3 nights at the hotel pre-cruise in Singapore, I can use the two cases to share the load without it being backbreaking for me :)

The trouble with carryons is that everyone is trying to avoid fees and take their stuff anyway. I flew yesterday and before half the people were on this full flight the bins were jammed full and they were gate checking all the rest (held us up about 20 minutes). If you don't have to have leg room you could stuff a small bag there but it has to go all the way under.

On my last 2 flights there has been jammed bins that opened mid flight or would not open on landing. IMHO new regulations for carryons will be coming -- no more 21 inches (let alone what some folks are calling 21 inches:eek:) and hand luggage will be limited to a small weight (under 15 pounds).

This thread has really made me think about what I will pack for my upcoming cruise to the Med. I am the type of person who will overpack for a weekend trip (eg, full 21" carryon), but I am really inspired to pack only a carryon 21" for the trip upcoming.... it would be alot easier getting to the airport, cruise terminal, etc....

Thank you everyone!

The trouble with carryons is that everyone is trying to avoid fees and take their stuff anyway. I flew yesterday and before half the people were on this full flight the bins were jammed full and they were gate checking all the rest (held us up about 20 minutes). If you don't have to have leg room you could stuff a small bag there but it has to go all the way under.

On my last 2 flights there has been jammed bins that opened mid flight or would not open on landing. IMHO new regulations for carryons will be coming -- no more 21 inches (let alone what some folks are calling 21 inches:eek:) and hand luggage will be limited to a small weight (under 15 pounds).

We've had the unfortunate experience of having a small rolled bag (less than 22 inches) taken from us before we boarded, because there was no more overhead storage space. That is when I learned to keep my jewelry, meds and expensive cosmetics in my purse, not my carry on. It's a bit infuriating when you have complied with the requirements and then see others bringing aboard multiple large pieces. I once sat behind a woman who had so much junk she couldn't even handle it herself, how in the heck did she get on the plane with a max size carry on, a huge "purse" and two full to the brim shopping bags? She needed other pax to assist her both getting on and off the plane.

Luggage companies are anticipating the change and are coming out with smaller sized rollaboards. The max domestic size has been 22 inches, but with wheels and handles they really measure 24 inches.

Just an FYI for anyone shopping for luggage in the near future. Check with your individual airline for carry on limitations so you are not surprised at the gate. We typically pack light, but neither of us want to carry on, too much hassle boarding and debarking a plane. There is the occasional delay at the luggage carousel, but never more than 30 minutes.

We flew two weeks ago. I was surprised that there was a $15 fee for check bags now-if they over over the weight limit, even more. the last time I flew was in 2007.

As others mentioned, it seemed those overhead berths were over stuffed, I could not help but wonder if some were taking more than allowed.

The jewelry and meds thing. I take a tote bag as my purse when flying. There is plenty of room under the seat for a tote bag. I always have my jewlery and meds in my purse/tote bag. (and a neck wallet around my neck-so I have less need to dig in my tote bag)

The overnight carry on bag has my change of clothing, cosmetics, (in case my checked bag is lost) reading material, etc. If my overnight bag has to be checked at the gate-I simply grab out my reading material. When we used to fly standby-this happened a lot to us-as we would be among the last on the plane. Those last stragglers on your flight are usually airline employees or buddy pass folks. They are usually the ones who have to get their bags checked because there is no room left in the berths. I don't miss that one bit-I was glad when my hubby got outsourced from Delta 4 years ago and lost that "privilege."

This last trip, we bought a tour and a bus picked us and others on the tour up at the airport. We were told by the tour company to bring a medium sized bag. My family complied, but others still had their 62 inch, the largest the airlines allow, bags with them, I noticed. The bus driver had a time too-getting everyone 's bags stashed under the bus. I don't know why people took those big bags, I had plenty of room for everything I needed for a week in my midsized bag-and still had plenty or room left for souvenirs we bought. My bag only weighed 23 pounds going out. It was probably still under 30 pounds returning.

• 2 months later...
We flew two weeks ago. I was surprised that there was a $15 fee for check bags now-if they over over the weight limit, even more. the last time I flew was in 2007.

As others mentioned, it seemed those overhead berths were over stuffed, I could not help but wonder if some were taking more than allowed.

The jewelry and meds thing. I take a tote bag as my purse when flying. There is plenty of room under the seat for a tote bag. I always have my jewlery and meds in my purse/tote bag. (and a neck wallet around my neck-so I have less need to dig in my tote bag)

The overnight carry on bag has my change of clothing, cosmetics, (in case my checked bag is lost) reading material, etc. If my overnight bag has to be checked at the gate-I simply grab out my reading material. When we used to fly standby-this happened a lot to us-as we would be among the last on the plane. Those last stragglers on your flight are usually airline employees or buddy pass folks. They are usually the ones who have to get their bags checked because there is no room left in the berths. I don't miss that one bit-I was glad when my hubby got outsourced from Delta 4 years ago and lost that "privilege."

This last trip, we bought a tour and a bus picked us and others on the tour up at the airport. We were told by the tour company to bring a medium sized bag. My family complied, but others still had their 62 inch, the largest the airlines allow, bags with them, I noticed. The bus driver had a time too-getting everyone 's bags stashed under the bus. I don't know why people took those big bags, I had plenty of room for everything I needed for a week in my midsized bag-and still had plenty or room left for souvenirs we bought. My bag only weighed 23 pounds going out. It was probably still under 30 pounds returning.

Oh boy, it looks like we did it again. Three years ago, we purchased a maximum sized bag, it fit everything, but ended up being heavy since it started at 15 pounds. Now we purchased another large suitcase, but it's only about 8 pounds. Still it looks tiny compared the the other.

Anybody heard if the US is about to downsize their carry-on allowances?

At least we purchased the smaller wheeled carry-ons. Make them much easier to fit into the overhead compartments. The fact that they're now charging for EVERY piece of checked luggage is forcing people to try to carry-on everything. Fly anywhere round trip, and we have to come up with $60 more.

I wrote a long reply last night and this site has been weird for a few days, it never made it onto this thread.

The gist of it was that luggage companies are starting to make smaller carry ons. I don't know if the airlines will be changing thier maximum size, but this could be an indication. If any of you are in the market for a new carry on, make sure it is a 20" or you may have to buy another, smaller size sooner than you think.

The difference is that the 20" will go into the overhead wheels first instead of sideways. Of course, it does depend on the airline and the size of their overhead bins. Do check with your individual airline to make sure your case isn't too large.

My next luggage purchase will be one of the new 20" cases that is a bit wider than typical carry ons. Unless they change the overall dimensions (length+width+depth), then I will have to use my smaller case. There is also talk of carry on weight being reduced, I know they do that in Europe on short flights already.

I don't think that there is a perfect way to pack. I personally find it stressful to have a big carry-on (which conforms to the airline rules) and have to find a place to put it in the overhead bin. If it is a small plane and I can gate-check the bag, that seems ideal. Otherwise I take a tote bag with necessities on the plane and try to split everything else into two manageable suitcases. I realize that it's not cost-effective to pack that way, but at least I can bring what I want and handle the bags myself.

klauer, I agree with most of what you say, except for packing 2 suitcases and paying the excess fees. We typically will check almost everything when we fly simply because we have found it'a a PIA boarding and disembarking an airplane when loaded down with luggage. Between the 2 of us we take one carry on bag (a small rolled bag) and my large purse. One bag for me, one for the DH.

We haven't flown yet where we have to pay a fee for the first bag, but that's enough for us to be paying. An extra $50 + just to not wear the same clothing twice just doesn't make much sense to me. Laundry or dry cleaning charges wouldn't amount to that much. If I can't fit all I need into one suitcase (each) then I go through the clothing and find ways to cut the amount.

Sometimes I watch in wonder at people disembarking ships needing porters to haul their bags on carts. What in the world are those people taking? It's not a camping trip :p Not people with any physical impairment, I see able bodied individuals with 2 cases each plus carry ons, plus totes, plus shopping bags plus purses :eek:

packing light is a choice for people to make. we are capable of doing a 3 week trip (including formal nights on a cruise) with a carry on each (yes, DH can pack his suit in his carry on and it comes out great!)

I take a large tote bag with me on the plane and DH has a small camera bag.

DH does wear a fabulous vest and pair of slacks from a company called Tilley which is available in Canada and the US. Very durable fabric and the vest/pants do have what they call 'secret pockets' for valuables.

there are many people who feel uncomfortable with the carry on concept so they choose to check luggage, pay any fees applicable, etc.

do what you are comfortable with as it is your holiday but keep in mind that you have to handle all the luggage if there are no porters around

• 1 month later...

Twice I have lost bags on flights. Once was on a trip to Russia when I was in college and WAY overpacked. The bag contained all my camera film and it took several weeks before they found it in Sweden and sent it to my house. The second time was when we flew to California to adopt our daughter. We lost all our bags and had only one change of clothes. It took a couple days to get the bags, including a carseat and baby stuff. Our baby was in the hospital for a couple weeks due to heart surgery and we had to take time out from being with her to buy new clothes.

Since then, I always travel light. Living in Florida we usually drive to the ports but we still limit our luggage to one roller suitcase per person and one small carry bag/backpack. Hubby and I are going on a Med cruise in September and plan to take only carry-on bags. Since we are spending a few days in Venice, I don't want to be lugging suitcases over cobblestones and steps. Instead, we are each using a small roller bag and a personal bag, light enough to carry if necessary. We will be gone for two weeks but I will buy lightweight travel wear and use the OP's list as a guide. We do not need formal wear although I will bring a slinky black skirt and a pretty top that will do and hubby will bring a nice shirt and tie.

The hardest thing to leave behind will be our hiking boots since we plan to spend a day in the Dolomites but we will wear good sneakers on the plane so those will do double duty.

Thanks for the packing list for both you and your DH. We, too, have travelled by train in Europe and understand the carryon concept. I would like to find the reversible dress. I also bundle wrap and use two gallons ziplock bags for my "core" filled with undies, swimwear and anything that doesn't wrinkle. The only problem we have found was in one airport in Europe, we were only allowed one bag, so we had to fit our purse/camera bag into our carryons, just to go through that check point. I don't recall which airport, but my DH probably does. If we had had larger tote bag or back pack, they would not have fit into our packed carryons.

LLBean yoga pants dry quickly.......great item for wash and wear. I haven't cruised, yet with just carryons except for a three night cruise, but I am trying to cut back. Lost luggage in Barcelona made us begin cross packing some of mine and some of DH's clothes in each checked bag. I carry all my shoes in carryon........can't stand uncomfortable shoes and have a hard foot to fit.

Thanks for the packing list for both you and your DH. We, too, have travelled by train in Europe and understand the carryon concept. I would like to find the reversible dress. I also bundle wrap and use two gallons ziplock bags for my "core" filled with undies, swimwear and anything that doesn't wrinkle. The only problem we have found was in one airport in Europe, we were only allowed one bag, so we had to fit our purse/camera bag into our carryons, just to go through that check point. I don't recall which airport, but my DH probably does. If we had had larger tote bag or back pack, they would not have fit into our packed carryons.

LLBean yoga pants dry quickly.......great item for wash and wear. I haven't cruised, yet with just carryons except for a three night cruise, but I am trying to cut back. Lost luggage in Barcelona made us begin cross packing some of mine and some of DH's clothes in each checked bag. I carry all my shoes in carryon........can't stand uncomfortable shoes and have a hard foot to fit.

I have this reversible dress in black. I can wear it a third/fourth way by adding a belt.

http://www.travelsmith.com/jump.jsp?itemID=10006&itemType=PRODUCT&path=1%2C2%2C250%2C282&iProductID=10006&sortBy=0

The hardest thing to leave behind will be our hiking boots since we plan to spend a day in the Dolomites but we will wear good sneakers on the plane so those will do double duty.

Instead of just sneakers, go out and buy a pair of good trail running shoes. These aren't ordinary running shoes - they have a stronger sole to help you over rough terrain. They will have enough control to make your day in the Dolomites easy. I used one of my pairs (I have several - I walk my dog up in the hills behind my house) on my 2 week trip to Egypt and Jordan. I'll use them on any trip that doesn't involve strictly hiking now.

You'll find many different styles, from extremely lightweight (that you can't tell from regular running shoes) to heavier ones that look like they took a boot and cut the top to look like a runner. I have 2 pairs of Merrell Siren Sport (one Gore-Tex, one plain), 2 pairs of Keen Wasatch, 1 pair of Adidas Adistar Trail (since discontinued). I love them all.

Hey Everyone - What kind of carry-on luggage are you using? Rick Steves makes some lightweight backpack style luggage, both with and without wheels. Has anyone used this luggage? I am trying to pack VERY light on our next cruise, but most rolling carry-on luggage weighs in at 7 lbs empty. Any recommendations?

I have this reversible dress in black. I can wear it a third/fourth way by adding a belt.

http://www.travelsmith.com/jump.jsp?itemID=10006&itemType=PRODUCT&path=1%2C2%2C250%2C282&iProductID=10006&sortBy=0

I have the same version from a couple years back that has sleeves

I wear with different necklaces or brooches that can take me from casual to almost formal if the baubles are just right.

I also wear a cardigan over it for another look

Archived