Stockholm on our own,bus and cruise tours

I only have knowledge of Stadsgarden Port ( There is an alternate port called Frihamnen)

So it all depends on where your ship docks.

Our ship, Celebrity Constellation had a shuttle to the city that ran every 15 mins.(drop off at Opera House)

$12 per person per day ( We overnighted)

We consider ourselves fairly fit but opted to save our legs for the lots of walking we did once we got the city.

When we got off the ship there was a HOHO bus as well as a HOHO water bus waiting at the pier.

If your cruise ship docks at Frihamnen, you can take bus 76 from the port to Djurgardsbron (for Djurgarden or Vasa Museum), or to Slottsbacken (for the Old Town). Please note that there are no buses on weekends. Cruiselines usually provide shuttle buses to the downtown area, and they are usually reasonably priced.

Thanks for the replies.Do the cruise and bus tours leave from around the city centre?

I don't know what "cruise and bus tours" you were asking. We didn't take any tours, and didn't feel it necessary. We pre-purchased Stockholm Card on-line. When we got off the cruise at Frihamnen, we took bus 76 to Vasa Museum, spent a couple hours there and then walked to Skansen. After Skansen, we took ferry ride to Gamla Stan (the Old Town), had a nice lunch and did some sightseeing. After that we took a bus ride back to the port. Buses, ferry ride and entrance tickets were all covered by the Stockholm Card. Stockholm Card also covered some free canal rides, which we did not have time to take. Since our cruise sailed through the Swedish Archipelago, we didn't feel it's necessary to take additional "boat tours."

• 4 weeks later...

Driving21 ~

We just returned from our Baltics cruise. In Stockholm, the hop-on/hop-off buses and boats had a stop right at the port in front of our ship. We got a HOHO bus and boat combo ticket and really enjoyed both.

Stockholm http://www.stromma.se/en/Sightseeing.../Supreme-Pass/

You'd have to check out the route map at the same link, but it seems they may/do have a pick-up and drop-off at all the ports. You'd have to check on it further for the specific details for your port to be sure.

Michelle

does anyone know what bus from gamla stan back to port?

The bus to take back to the ship is the same number 76 that you take to Djurgården, the area where the museums are. Here is a link to a map where you can see the route of this map as well as the position of the main ports in Stockholm: http://maps.google.se/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=100446628536787947860.000448dadb8bebb56f079&ll=59.327585,18.087273&spn=0.037918,0.084629&t=h&z=13

But there are two things that it is important to know about this bus. The first thing is that it is not available on Sundays. And the second is that it is not possible to pay on buses in Stockholm, you need a ticket before you get on. This can either be the Stockholm card that can be bought before you leave home. Or I think it is possible to buy tickets at the tourist shop and information at the quay. At least they said last year they were going to have this service. There are also ticket machines at bus stops but the problem with the machines is they only take Swedish coins or credit cards that are connected to a Swedish bank.

Driving21 ~

We just returned from our Baltics cruise. In Stockholm, the hop-on/hop-off buses and boats had a stop right at the port in front of our ship. We got a HOHO bus and boat combo ticket and really enjoyed both.

Stockholm http://www.stromma.se/en/Sightseeing.../Supreme-Pass/

You'd have to check out the route map at the same link, but it seems they may/do have a pick-up and drop-off at all the ports. You'd have to check on it further for the specific details for your port to be sure.

Michelle

I can see from your link that Strömma has a much better map now. When I put my map together they had no indication at all where the ports were. It is easier to explain things with a map than it is with words only. But as information gets better, maybe I can skip my own map one day?

And I can confirm that when there are ships in port the HOHO bus will go to the ports to pick up travellers. At least that is what I was told when I called them.

North-bound ~

I just noticed that you're actually from Sweden! We really enjoyed our visit and time in Stockholm! What a great city! We were there with all the Volvo Race festivities, so we had a little added excitement! :)

Michelle

Michelle I am so happy to hear that you had a good time in Stockholm. Were you here on Century? I saw her come in with the ocean race boats and it is one of my favourite ships when I cruise? She looked so beautiful at quay in the middle of all the festivities.

I can also tell you that I was very much impressed with Chicago when I was there on a business trip (many years ago now). Most of all the architecture. I did not expect to like it so much, but I really did.

Wow! This looks great. When were there a few years ago on Princess, we were way outside of Stockholm. I think it took about an hour to get to city center. This time we are on Celebrity Eclipse in July of 2010. Thanks. Marlyne

Is it possible to see the Vasa museum, spend time at gamla stan and go to the Ice Bar in one day. Our ship, the Emerald Princess, will be dockd from 10:00 AM till 5:00 PM. Do you recommend a walking tour of Gamla Stan or can we get a shuttle into town on our own? Thanks, Merriday

Is it possible to see the Vasa museum, spend time at gamla stan and go to the Ice Bar in one day. Our ship, the Emerald Princess, will be dockd from 10:00 AM till 5:00 PM. Do you recommend a walking tour of Gamla Stan or can we get a shuttle into town on our own? Thanks, Merriday

What date are you traveling on the Emerald? We are in Ft. Lauderdale and are going Sept. 3.

North-bound ~ Yes, we were on the Century, and we also liked the ship very much. It's smaller than others, but very nice. Chicago really is a great city with much to offer. I'm glad you had the opportunity to visit. My husband and I were commenting when we were on our trip that it's a shame so many visitors from other countries usually miss it since it's in the middle of the country and visitors tend to stick to the coasts.

Merriday ~ Although we had two days, I do think you could do all three in a day. I personally don't think a walking tour through Gamla Stan is necessary, but then again, we may have missed out on a lot of information for all we know. North-bound can probably address this way better than I. We were very glad we went to the Ice Bar!

Michelle

The bus to take back to the ship is the same number 76 that you take to Djurgården, the area where the museums are. Here is a link to a map where you can see the route of this map as well as the position of the main ports in Stockholm: http://maps.google.se/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=100446628536787947860.000448dadb8bebb56f079&ll=59.327585,18.087273&spn=0.037918,0.084629&t=h&z=13

Thanks for the great map. However, I do not see a ferry from Nybroplan to the Vasa museum. I was told there was a ferry in the summer.

How long is the walk from the 76 bus stop to the Vasa museum.

Many thanks.

Michelle,

Were you able to buy the Supreme Pass online ahead of time or did you buy it once you arrived? I looked online and the only one it seemed I could pre-purchase was the HOHO boat.

Thanks for your help!

Keri

I wonder if you can help me, we are arriving in Stockholm on Aug 11th for the night.

We do not arrive until 5:30pm and then we fly our the next day @ 2pm, so time is really an issue for us.

We are thinking when we arrive, we will head to the old town and do a walking tour, our issue is the 12th,

we will have to get off the ship and get to the airport but we do want to see whatever we can first, my thoughts are the Vasa Museum.

do you have any suggestions on how we can do this, the big thing is our luggage. What to do with it....

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Michelle,

Were you able to buy the Supreme Pass online ahead of time or did you buy it once you arrived? I looked online and the only one it seemed I could pre-purchase was the HOHO boat.

Thanks for your help!

Keri

I had the same experience. I tried to buy the supreme pass online, and it says that you buy it when you board. It doesn't say what currency you need, or if they accept credit cards. We are leaving the US tomorrow. I sure hope they take credit cards, as I really would like the bus/boat combo. If you discover anyway to buy it online, please write back. Joy

Here is the Viator link: http://www.viator.com/pasSearch.jspa?country=68&region=907&activities_checkbox=from&from_dd=3&from_yyyymm=7+2009&to_dd=30&to_yyyymm=7+2009&go=Go&from_mm=7&from_yyyy=2009&to_mm=7&to_yyyy=2009&section=ttd&destinationID=907&categoryName=&activities=from

#3 is the HOHO bus and #8 is the HOHO boat in US$. Purchasing the two separately is actually cheaper than the Supreme Pass. The Supreme Pass is 350SEK, which is approximately $45US; the two separately through Viator is $40US. :)

Michelle

Does anyone know how much a cab may be from the cruise dock to the Intercontinental Hotel? I thought one of the HOHO's bus or boat pass could work for this as well as give us other tour options the day of the pass,but I've read stories about long waits at the cruise dock for these and that baggage may be an issue.

Would appreciate your comments! Thank you!

Thanks for the great map. However, I do not see a ferry from Nybroplan to the Vasa museum. I was told there was a ferry in the summer.

How long is the walk from the 76 bus stop to the Vasa museum.

Many thanks.

There is a ferry from Nybroplan also during the summer. But I don't know much about it and did not register it on my map.

To get to the Vasa you walk across a short bridge, then turn right and it is not far to the museum. Can't say exactly how far, I have never taken time when I go there.

I wonder if you can help me, we are arriving in Stockholm on Aug 11th for the night.

We do not arrive until 5:30pm and then we fly our the next day @ 2pm, so time is really an issue for us.

We are thinking when we arrive, we will head to the old town and do a walking tour, our issue is the 12th,

we will have to get off the ship and get to the airport but we do want to see whatever we can first, my thoughts are the Vasa Museum.

do you have any suggestions on how we can do this, the big thing is our luggage. What to do with it....

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

With a flight at 2 pm the time is very short, I think you may have to leave for the airport at perhaps 11 am or a little later (don't know how far ahead you have to check in but guess it could be two hours).

So what can you do in a very short time? There is the possibility to store your luggage at the Central Station, so take a taxi there. Then walk south towards Gamla Stan and stroll around that area untill you have to head back to the station. From there you can take Arlanda Express train to the airport. The train takes 20 minutes. Here is the link so that you can pick a time when you have to leave https://www.arlandaexpress.com/textpage.aspx?page=19. Remember that you need time to pick up your luggage, carry it from the storage area to the part of the station where the Arlanda train leaves from and buy tickets for the train. But the train is the quickest way to get to Arlanda, much quicker then a taxi.

Archived