Protime Testers Onboard?

Ships R Great

SHIPS,

If i was you, i would call CELEBRITY and find out ,i wouldn't take anyones answer to that on this site.

JIM

I agree - the Special Needs Department would probably be the best source for information on that topic.

If you cannot get an answer, or receive a negative response, you may be able to get the finger stick device and contact your doctor via email while on board. Or, if you have an international phone, call in your numbers.

Realizing what others have said about not using this site as a Medical Info source, I'll pass you personal anecdotal nfo.

My wife requires Coumadin level checks, and prior to a TA, her numbers were 'off' requiring a weekly check instead of the monthly. Had it done on the ship and faxed to the Dr's. With a response back, requiring another check at the end of the trip.

Not cheap - I forget, but obviously required esp for Coumadin.

Was on the Connie May '08.

Denny

I would call Celebrity and check on it. Then wait a few days and ask the same question. If you get different responses (which sometimes happens) ask to talk with a supervisor. In a situation like yours, I would feel more comfortable double-checking.

Thank you all. I will call X and see what they say. Doctor sugggested renting a tester. We may go with that. Our cruise is 21 days starting 11/30. We do dock in Charleston and Key West so we could get tested then. Levels are "off" now but by then maybe they will stabilize.

Do the medical facilities on X, and particularly on Mercury, have blood Protime testers? For those who do not know protime testing is done for those on blood thinners such as coumadin.

Please be advised that on board medical facilities are VERY LIMITED in their scope and are independently owned by IMHO substandard physicians.

I would never want to be treated for anything on board a ship. I seriously doubt they will have what you need. However, perhaps your doctor can arrange for them to give you the testing you require. You will of course, as stated, need to call Celebrity and see if it can be arranged.

Too bad you have had some bad experiences. First time, the doctor was an American and I needed a Z pak. Second time, doc was from Columbia and I was extremely impressed by his care. DH had deep chest congestion and they treated him for several days, expertly. Expensive...yes. But we were able to finish the cruise and he was feeling better.

I don't see the docs as substandard. I guess one could say that each doc is an individual and can be good or not so good same as on land.

Bobbie

My husband has one that was prescribed to him by his doctor and is covered by Medicare and his secondary insurance.

We took it with us on our cruise and called it in (the company gives you a number). Then our doctor's office called us with the results. We have on occasion had our dr.'s office email information.

My husband has one that was prescribed to him by his doctor and is covered by Medicare and his secondary insurance.

We took it with us on our cruise and called it in (the company gives you a number). Then our doctor's office called us with the results. We have on occasion had our dr.'s office email information.

Thanks, DHGRANNY. I checked into getting one but was told they are only provided to those with heart valve replacements. DH does not have one. His problem is atrial fibrulation. Would be wonderful if my info was wrong.

My DH doesn't have valve problems. His doctor is the one who suggested the machine to us. He was having to go for a blood test every week because his levels don't seem to stabilize.

Have a great cruise!

My DH doesn't have valve problems. His doctor is the one who suggested the machine to us. He was having to go for a blood test every week because his levels don't seem to stabilize.

Have a great cruise!

WOW! I will start checking with doctors to see if I can get one prescribed for DH. That would surely relieve our minds. He is having to go every week now. Had a TIA last week so I am very concerned. But that cruise is out there like a carrot in front of a mule, urging me along, day by day.

Have a great cruise!

Hey Glassboro, down the shore in Longport here!:)

WOW! I will start checking with doctors to see if I can get one prescribed for DH. That would surely relieve our minds. He is having to go every week now. Had a TIA last week so I am very concerned. But that cruise is out there like a carrot in front of a mule, urging me along, day by day.

My mother was terminally ill for many years and easily wounded by any careless bump or jarring while traveling. But those cruises were her "carrot" and kept her going many, many years. We (the kids) used to wonder what the heck will happen is something happens to her in a foreign country or on the ship?

Since her condition was so rare and dibiliatating, the top docs in the country couldn't even help her- she'd flown to the top experts in their field.

In any case, she took all precautions she could and kept taking those cruises, several a year, until about a year before she passed. At that point, it was physically impossible for her to travel without bleeding. She just wasn't ambulatory anymore.

So keep chasing the carrots! You never know how many of them you'll get;)

I can help you on this one. I work in the cardiology field.

One can get a home tester from a company called tapestry. You can get a referral from your doctor for a coagulachek for any condition like, Afib, CHF, Valves or cardiomyopathy and my bet more diagnoses as well. The machine needs to be periodically calibrated for correct PT / INR results. Its very easy.

As far as being on a cruise,,eating all kinds of foods that probobly will interact with Coumadin / Warfarin or Jantoven it would be a good idea. We tell people to try and eat the daily amt of greens and not deviate, but I just cant see that especially on vacation and on cruise.

Coumadin will be adjusted accordingly if you perform a draw, and even call your doctors office for an apporpritate adjustment, or get a email address. Adjustment should be done withing 24 hrs.

Hope this helps

Daphna RN

I can help you on this one. I work in the cardiology field.

One can get a home tester from a company called tapestry. You can get a referral from your doctor for a coagulachek for any condition like, Afib, CHF, Valves or cardiomyopathy and my bet more diagnoses as well. The machine needs to be periodically calibrated for correct PT / INR results. Its very easy.

As far as being on a cruise,,eating all kinds of foods that probobly will interact with Coumadin / Warfarin or Jantoven it would be a good idea. We tell people to try and eat the daily amt of greens and not deviate, but I just cant see that especially on vacation and on cruise.

Coumadin will be adjusted accordingly if you perform a draw, and even call your doctors office for an apporpritate adjustment, or get a email address. Adjustment should be done withing 24 hrs.

Hope this helps

Daphna RN

Thanks so much for this info. I called my DH's cardiologist yesteday. He is very opposd to this. Won't write a prescription. He says they are too unreliable. Maybe the GP will write it but then the cardiologist would not change RX on this basis. We will dock in USVI in the middle of the trip. We can get a draw then and ask them to email DR with results. I suppose we will just have to trust it will stay fairly steady till we get back. Maybe the DR will change his mind.

Fortunately DH does not overeat on cruises. Three meals a day---and diet stays pretty much the same as at home.

I had an accident in St Maarten one cruise. (We were on Radiance of the Seas that trip.) My blood sugar and blood pressure dropped at the same time and I tripped over my own feet and fell face first into a gravel road. I was bleeding and in pain, and we went to the ship's hospital as soon as we could get back onboard. Although there were no hospital hours at the time, the nurse and doctor met me there because they considered this an emergency situation.

The doctor was Norwegian and he was excellent. It so happened that his specialty was cardiology and he was very concerned because I had had heart failure three years before that trip. He took very good care of me. Fortunately, he did such a good job of cleaning my facial wounds that I bear no scars from the incident.

I had to visit sick bay once or twice on other trips and always had very good care. Don't assume that the doctors are substandard. In my experience, they are not.

Your doctor might think its unreliable..We have a very large coumadin clinic and feels it is fine. I would honestly think that the ship would have a machine on board. How long is the cruise?

Remember food is not the only vice with coumadin, but alcohol as well.

So try to drink as much as you do at home as well without changing the habits much.

Your doctor might think its unreliable..We have a very large coumadin clinic and feels it is fine. I would honestly think that the ship would have a machine on board. How long is the cruise?

Remember food is not the only vice with coumadin, but alcohol as well.

So try to drink as much as you do at home as well without changing the habits much.

Hey, just noticed you are in Gainesville. We are from Jacksonville. My DH is a Gator, as are all his brothers. I will try to find out if they have a tester on board. We go to the DR at the end of the month. Will try to convince him. The cruise is a B2B for 21 days total.

Since my wife needs periodic PT checks, she's checked each of our cruises and each had full capability to check blood-thining levels, and meds to counter the Coumedin if required - if she was injured. All had the proper meds.

She had a blood-test done on the Constellation (posted before).

As to 'reliability' of the onboard medical clinic, this is a standard blood-test so I wouldn't worry about getting your own kit, especially if your Dr has issues. The ship's service is a clinic and that is why you read about ships pulling into unscheduled ports and so on to drop off crew and passengers for major issues. Our limited experience has been good.

We've used the clinic for the blood tests and once for a family member with a bad ankle. Basics, but good service.

As stated before, my personal recommendation is to doublecheck on blood test support on your specific ship and use that.

Blood-thinner PT tests are pretty standard.

Denny

Since my wife needs periodic PT checks, she's checked each of our cruises and each had full capability to check blood-thining levels, and meds to counter the Coumedin if required - if she was injured. All had the proper meds.

She had a blood-test done on the Constellation (posted before).

As to 'reliability' of the onboard medical clinic, this is a standard blood-test so I wouldn't worry about getting your own kit, especially if your Dr has issues. The ship's service is a clinic and that is why you read about ships pulling into unscheduled ports and so on to drop off crew and passengers for major issues. Our limited experience has been good.

We've used the clinic for the blood tests and once for a family member with a bad ankle. Basics, but good service.

As stated before, my personal recommendation is to doublecheck on blood test support on your specific ship and use that.

Blood-thinner PT tests are pretty standard.

Denny

Thanks, Denny, for the positive news. A personal question---what was the cost of the tests? I know you have to pay up front and submit it to insurance whne you get home.

Thanks, Denny, for the positive news. A personal question---what was the cost of the tests? I know you have to pay up front and submit it to insurance whne you get home.

It was a while ago (May 08) but the test, faxing to our Dr and response back, I think it cost $145. Not cheap! And of course, insurance repays at standard costs. Forget what we got back - not much.

Worked out great though.

Denny

http://www.shopqas.com/patient/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=2&gclid=CO2ilLewhpsCFVpM5Qod1DTVpA

Hey, just noticed you are in Gainesville. We are from Jacksonville. My DH is a Gator, as are all his brothers. I will try to find out if they have a tester on board. We go to the DR at the end of the month. Will try to convince him. The cruise is a B2B for 21 days total.

Its great to be a Florida Gator !!

Archived