What are the must do things in St. Croix?

BeachBum1007

Well, I don't know if you're just in town for the day off a cruise ship or going to spend some time there. But here are some "musts" if you have time and inclination.

A trip - by sail or motorboat - to Buck Island out of Christiansted. Wonderful beach and snorkeling. It's a national park.

Scuba diving off "The Wall" on the North Shore. Be sure to check out the little bar/restaurant along that road.

Horseback riding on the west end north of Frederiksted.

Touring a rum factory.

Drive the scenic road on the North Shore through the Rainforest (however, it's nowhere near like rainforests in places like Grenada).

Be sure to see an old Sugar Mill.

Walking around Christiansted, checking out the Comanche Hotel and King's Alley.

Visit Udall Point on the far east end, the most easterly location under the U.S. flag

Remember there is a lot of history on St. Croix with it having been under seven flags. The greatest influence you will see is from Denmark. There are museums and gardens to see.

We're returning to St. Croix this summer for a big family reunion. Can't wait!

Carole

Hello,

Is there only one place cruise ships dock here? We will be going on the Azamara Journey and stopping at St. Croix in March and I do not know the name of the city where we will dock. If there is only one dock, are there things around there you can walk to? or taxis available to go to a nice beach?

Thank you,

Karen

The cruise ship pier is in Frederiksted, which is a smaller town on the west end of the island. Of course there will be taxis and shops. A drive over to Christiansted would be less than half an hour. There are places in the area where you could walk or taxi to a beach but the best part of St. Croix is elsewhere on the island. A pre planned boat trip to Buck Island (out of Christiansted) would be very special if time allows. If you're a diver, a great diving site is not too far from F'sted on the North Shore. I'm sure Azamara will offer you some good options. But just staying in F'sted is not what St. Croix is all about.

• 1 month later...

The Botanical Gardens are also neat to walk thru, and the Whim Plantation is nice too. We have a timeshare on St. Croix and have been many times. The kayak trip is fun too. Diving and snorkeling always good.

We were there 10 days and had a blast. Never really any safety fears (not any more than anywhere else in the Carribbean). We even went on a cruise later specifically beacuse it called on this Island. Too bad it has gained a bad reputation. Eventually as beautiful as the island is, the ships will come back.

From what I understand there are more and more cruise lines going back to this island. Apparently they've updated themselves and have attempted to fix the safety issues they had. I'll be here while on my cruise on the AOS in July. I'm sure it won't be any less safe than anywhere else I've never traveled.

I never cruised to St. Croix but we rented a beachfront condo there two winters in a row and I must say it is my favorite place on earth!

Buck Island is wonderful, as is Point Udall, shopping in Christiansted - make sure to have lunch at Rumrunners. For something more off the beaten track, look for the Mt. Pellier Domino Club for an eating, drinking and just hanging out experience you'll never forget! Say hi to Norma, and be sure to visit with the (non-alcoholic) beer-drinking pigs.

We weren't very impressed with Fredricksted, but it's a pretty little town and I think if the cruise ships started to come back there with some regularity it will liven up a bit.

• 1 year later...

We are did something called the Scenic Island Tour which didn't stop at any of the big destinations like Whim Plantation or the Rum Factory. I had to chose between that and doing just one city or the other - plus I thought there would be too much walking..

The van drove us out past the fort at Frederiksted and out past the Post Office to Emancipation Drive. We took the "Scenic Drive" stopping once at an overlook of a golf course. Then we went down a hill which the driver/guide called "The Beast" which he said the Ironman biked UP. We stopped at Cane Bay for photos of the beach. I saw a lighthouse far down the coast.

We went past the last sugar cane mill and saw a house built on the brow of a hill that looked like the cantilevered pool was a ship's prow sticking out. Then we stopped at the site of Columbus's Landing in 1493. We went on from here to Christiansted Harbor.

Here Bob used the bathroom and then took pictures of the fort and harbor. I watched a chicken cross the road, and then went into the National Park bookstore and stamped a piece of paper (since I didn't have my NPS Passport book) with three NPS stamps. Then a stake body truck with huge speakers in the back playing at full volume came up the road. There was to be a parade apparently. The truck led off with four National Guard flag bearers, and then there was a whole platoon of baton twirlers in royal blue outfits with white boots - all the way from about 5 years old on up. After them came the baseball teams. Apparently there was to be a tournament, and they were marching up to the ball fields.

I went to the Christensted National Historic Site across from the fort. This was a Lutheran Church originally.

After this we went to the 'industrial' side of the island which has the 2nd largest oil refinery (no pictures allowed) which used to be a Hess refinery, and we saw some goats, and the University of the VI.

We got back to the ship about noon.

We are did something called the Scenic Island Tour which didn't stop at any of the big destinations like Whim Plantation or the Rum Factory. I had to chose between that and doing just one city or the other - plus I thought there would be too much walking..

The van drove us out past the fort at Frederiksted and out past the Post Office to Emancipation Drive. We took the "Scenic Drive" stopping once at an overlook of a golf course. Then we went down a hill which the driver/guide called "The Beast" which he said the Ironman biked UP. We stopped at Cane Bay for photos of the beach. I saw a lighthouse far down the coast.

We went past the last sugar cane mill and saw a house built on the brow of a hill that looked like the cantilevered pool was a ship's prow sticking out. Then we stopped at the site of Columbus's Landing in 1493. We went on from here to Christiansted Harbor.

Here Bob used the bathroom and then took pictures of the fort and harbor. I watched a chicken cross the road, and then went into the National Park bookstore and stamped a piece of paper (since I didn't have my NPS Passport book) with three NPS stamps. Then a stake body truck with huge speakers in the back playing at full volume came up the road. There was to be a parade apparently. The truck led off with four National Guard flag bearers, and then there was a whole platoon of baton twirlers in royal blue outfits with white boots - all the way from about 5 years old on up. After them came the baseball teams. Apparently there was to be a tournament, and they were marching up to the ball fields.

I went to the Christensted National Historic Site across from the fort. This was a Lutheran Church originally.

After this we went to the 'industrial' side of the island which has the 2nd largest oil refinery (no pictures allowed) which used to be a Hess refinery, and we saw some goats, and the University of the VI.

We got back to the ship about noon.

Who did you take the tour with?

How did you find them?

Thanks,

Archived