another Splendor (NOT)

doittoit

Just got off the Splendor, No Mexico, No problem, cruise. 5-31-2009. That is I finally got off! I was ready to get off Tuesday, Kept asking how far it would be to swim, and I wasn't the only ones asking. Anyway. We where with friends that are VIP, so getting on was good. that's where it went down hill from there. Rooms, OK. Had balcony, OK. Weather was mostly to bad to use, Even snowed a bit in Astoria, Oregon. Most of the food wasn't that good. the best was the Deli. Breakfast buffet was so so, except the omelets, very good. Dining room was pretty good, so was service. Last 2 CCL time I had to buss tables to sit down for any eating times. This was not the case, Employees must have had a talking too, only one that had a bad attitude.

Ships decor was terrible! colors and details where dime store cheap. looks like they used left over from the dump. Nothing matched, and it was PINK. TV sucked, that's all I can say. Entertainment was what I saw a few years ago. same shows even same songs. And I was on another ship!

Getting off terrible, gangway broke, after an hour they manually moved it to the ship, and just let people off that where in line, 4 guys still scratching there head wondering what was wrong as we finally got off. they never called #'s we where #1 due to our VIP status. We just got in line with the other tired animals, than we had to contend with the parking Zoo and the zoo attendants there. Was never so glad to get away from that place. Oh did I mentioned the unruly kids, not to many but but enough and our cruise mates (they are VIP's) complained about them running in the hall and over people. and CCL never did anything about it. I guess the old saying you get what you pay for. We went due to the price and a last minute calling. Gonna have to think very hard to cruise CCL again. :(

Were your traveling companions VIP by any chance?

Bill

Just for fun...let me ask....What is in Astoria, Oregon that I would want to take a cruise to see?

There must be something....scenery....national treasures....I truly do not know, so if someone wouldn't mind.......

However, no matter what is there, I doubt I want to go at this time of the year.

Thanks.

Astoria Oregon is where they filmed Kindergarten Cop and also The Goonie's. It is the location of the Lewis and Clark Expedition Fort and other historical places. I live in Oregon and I checked to see if Astoria had snow that day and there is no report of it. When I first read the OP state that there was snow in Astoria, I thought to myself that that was a weekend that we did not have any rain or bad weather, so that is why I looked it up. If you like going to historical places then Astoria is a town to go to. I will say it is beautiful.

I am so sorry you didn't have a good time on your cruise. I was on the Splendor on 4/26, and altho we didnt make it to any ports, cept San Francisco, we still enjoyed ourselves. But I hope you find one that works for you, even tho it may not be Carnival.:)

I dont care if the ship is pepto bismol pink with black and white polka dots.. I am not going to live in it.. I am just going to have FUN! :D

and the food? well that is a hit and miss like any other restaurant.. meat is tough? get something else... thats the beauty of eating on a cruise restaurant, you can order other stuff, as much as you want. Still not satisfied?? then stop by the buffet of the way out, or order something from your room when you get there.

Like someone else said.. cruising vacation can be as much fun as you want it to be...

if you want 5 star dining/ VIP service, maybe pay for it in another cruise line.

A bad day on a cruise is STILL better than a GREAT day at the office....

I disagree. I'd much sooner be at work than on a ship having a "bad

day". Vacation time and $$$ are too hard to come by. I'll wait for

some "good days" to enjoy a cruise.

Years ago, I was searching for a cruise to alaska for my honeymoon. I came here to read reviews. I still remember one of them to this day. The guy had taken his cruise on the Celebrity Galaxy which was maybe two years old at the time. His cruise was ruined by the fact that they sold tampons in the store. Out in the open where anyone could see! Since then, I take all reviews, positive and negative, with a grain of salt. I try to get a feel for the demeanor of the writer to gauge how reliable the information is and what value I should place on it. The OP I would class in what I call the rampant tampon catagory.

LOL :D

You know...My first cruise was the elation, and to tell the truth, I cannot remember one thing about the decor. The only reason I even considered the decor on the Splendor was because of all the pink buzz about it all over the 'net. That is the last thing I care about on the cruise. It's still amazing to me that I continue to read that pink zebra circles ruined their cruise.:rolleyes: What is really amazing is that OP says it looked "cheap". I remember sitting in a booth at the Lido Buffet and seeing the hundreds of iridescent tiles and thinking how expensive the details looked.

Great post.

If decor is such a big deal to some folks why not look at pictures of the decor on the net before booking.

I guess then folks would have one less things to rant about

Bad day on a cruise is better than a good day at work. Now lets see: bad day on a cruise, hung over in the middle of the ocean on a moving ship. Unable to eat, dry heaves by mid day, head spinning, shakes, hair of the dogs spends less time in the body than it did in the glass. Early evening, still spinning and sweating finally able to eat a piece of pizza but my body only holds it long enough make it to the bathroom. Oh, did a mention the pounding headache that make 10 mins feel like a hour? 8pm and time for bed, can't get the room to stop spinning, unable to hold my sleeping pill down. Thankfully able to drift off to sleep around 11pm, but the next cabin over is partying with half the hallway, boom box blasting, hooting and hollaring, playing drinking games. Midnight and only one thing to do so get dressed, break out the rum runners and join the party!!

Good day at work: Arrive late, 4 breaks, long lunch, 3 hours of cruise critic, leave early.

They're right bad day on a cruise beats a good day at work hands down.

LOL :D

You know...My first cruise was the elation, and to tell the truth, I cannot remember one thing about the decor. The only reason I even considered the decor on the Splendor was because of all the pink buzz about it all over the 'net. That is the last thing I care about on the cruise. It's still amazing to me that I continue to read that pink zebra circles ruined their cruise.:rolleyes: What is really amazing is that OP says it looked "cheap". I remember sitting in a booth at the Lido Buffet and seeing the hundreds of iridescent tiles and thinking how expensive the details looked.

Carnival does have some really cheap cheesy decor compared to other lines IMO........Ecstasy comes to mind:D

Well said.. I like my job too.. and would rather be at work getting paid than waste my vacation and my $$ on a bad cruise...

:)

Agreed...it really bothers me when people say a bad day on a cruise is better than the best day at work.

I disagree. I'd much sooner be at work than on a ship having a "bad

day". Vacation time and $$$ are too hard to come by. I'll wait for

some "good days" to enjoy a cruise.

Agreed!

Astoria Oregon is where they filmed Kindergarten Cop and also The Goonie's. It is the location of the Lewis and Clark Expedition Fort and other historical places. I live in Oregon and I checked to see if Astoria had snow that day and there is no report of it. When I first read the OP state that there was snow in Astoria, I thought to myself that that was a weekend that we did not have any rain or bad weather, so that is why I looked it up. If you like going to historical places then Astoria is a town to go to. I will say it is beautiful.

Hello, fellow Oregonian! I had the same thought when I read about the "snow" in Astoria. For one thing (as you know), it rarely snows on the Oregon Coast......tons of rain, lots of wind, cold....but not much snow. Thanks for looking that up. Astoria is far from the most exciting port, but there are things to do there and it is a cool little town.

My sister lives in Medford, BTW and my mom in Ashland. :D

I thought the lights were pretty too :D

P1020348.JPG

There we go! Those are the tiles! Yes, the lights are cool--very artisan looking. I get that the style might not be everyone's taste, and it is very flamboyant, but "cheap"? Anyone who has done work to their homes: bathrooms, kitchens, etc...knows those kinds of items are pricey. "Cheap" is not the word.

Maybe because of posters "VIP" status (mentioned numerous times!!!!) they expected to be treated as royalty or somtehing?? Oh well Bon Voyage!!!:cool:

They were not VIP's they used their Friends Status to get on and off the ship.

Fred

Just got off the Splendor, No Mexico, No problem, cruise. 5-31-2009. That is I finally got off! I was ready to get off Tuesday, Kept asking how far it would be to swim, and I wasn't the only ones asking. Anyway. We where with friends that are VIP, so getting on was good. that's where it went down hill from there. Rooms, OK. Had balcony, OK. Weather was mostly to bad to use, Even snowed a bit in Astoria, Oregon. Most of the food wasn't that good. the best was the Deli. Breakfast buffet was so so, except the omelets, very good. Dining room was pretty good, so was service. Last 2 CCL time I had to buss tables to sit down for any eating times. This was not the case, Employees must have had a talking too, only one that had a bad attitude.

Ships decor was terrible! colors and details where dime store cheap. looks like they used left over from the dump. Nothing matched, and it was PINK. TV sucked, that's all I can say. Entertainment was what I saw a few years ago. same shows even same songs. And I was on another ship!

Getting off terrible, gangway broke, after an hour they manually moved it to the ship, and just let people off that where in line, 4 guys still scratching there head wondering what was wrong as we finally got off. they never called #'s we where #1 due to our VIP status. We just got in line with the other tired animals, than we had to contend with the parking Zoo and the zoo attendants there. Was never so glad to get away from that place. Oh did I mentioned the unruly kids, not to many but but enough and our cruise mates (they are VIP's) complained about them running in the hall and over people. and CCL never did anything about it. I guess the old saying you get what you pay for. We went due to the price and a last minute calling. Gonna have to think very hard to cruise CCL again. :(

Sounds like Celebrity would fit you well.

Fred

Who the heck cares about the decor of the ship? I'm on vacation and its time for fun. The day I stop cruising due to the Decor of the ship, someone please shoot me. :rolleyes:

Fred

Probably wouldn't stop me cruising on a ship but as you ask, I care. It's part of the whole package to me. Would you visit a resort if it was ugly? Not an apples to apples comparison I realize but hopefully you get my point.

I think if I had a choice of ships that covered an intinery I wanted from the same port and the Splendor was one of them... I wouldn't be on it. But if it's the only choice, I'd take it. But Farcus really threw up on that one from what I can tell.

Probably wouldn't stop me cruising on a ship but as you ask, I care. It's part of the whole package to me.

Nezmo, the truth is, for me, It all look the same !!! Decor is Decor. So once you get past that and the stain on the carpet, the fun begins.

As for going to an ugly resort? sure if the price fits, the food is good and the eye candy is there, I would surely return.

As you can see, it doesn't take much to impress me especially when it takes me away from work and home.

Lifes to short to worry about Decor.

Fred

I guess the old saying you get what you pay for. We went due to the price and a last minute calling. Gonna have to think very hard to cruise CCL again. :(

Carnival Imagination 8-2003 :o

Royal Caribbean Monarch of the Seas 4-2005 Good

Carnival Valor 4-2006 :mad:

Royal Caribbean Monarch of the Seas 7-2006 :cool:

Carnival Paradise 4-23-07 :(

Monarch of the Seas 8-18-08 bad

Carnival Splendor 5-24-2009 Last chance for Carnival

CCL got a "C" on Splendor trip, Might try CCL again in the far distance.

WHY???????:confused:

I don't get this...all that ranting and complaining about stuff that you absolutely hated, and a list of cruises that for the most part you weren't all that thrilled with...why would you ever cruise again, and if you do WHY would you even consider trying CCL again in the future??

All the CCL ships have the same type of decor btw. If the decor bothers you that much, personally I suggest sticking with another line IF you find one that you like.

Archived