I live in Funchal - Madeira Island. I can advice

Hi Biaria: Looks like my tour may have to change. What is the cost from the ship to cable car, roundtrip to Monte. Which Botanical Garden would you pick in Monte and cost. What is there to do in Funchal on 12/8/10 a religious holiday. What is the cost of a cab to Monte and cable car back down.

Just looking at options if the tour has to change

Thanks

Dave

• 3 weeks later...
So sorry to hear of the recent fires ~'I'll declare....beautiful Madeira has certainly had it trials this year!

Will arrive in Funchal on Nov 5th ~always look forward to spending time at the Old Market buying bouquets of exotic flowers. I've been visiting Madeira for 10 years ~someday I'm going to fly over and spend a couple of weeks! Coming by cruise ship for one day simply does not allow enough time to enjoy your wonderful Island!

When I come to spend some time I'll probably stay at the Dias Hotel ~~a fantastic property. I've toured the hotel ~I was impressed ~I met both the Father and his Son ~sooo nice and helpful!

Looking forward to my day in Old Town ~

Martita B.

Hi Martita!

Yes, it's a shame we get these fires every year, it certainly spoils the beauty on some of our mountains.

Well... November 5th is just around the corner, so... you'll be here very soon!

Yes, after 10 one day visits, I can understand you, now, feeling like staying in Madeira for a longer period. And... with such a nice place to stay, in your mind; why not?

We will be in Funchal Nov. 3/4 th over night. Not sure what we want to do. Are ther tour companies that sell tours at the cruise ship pier. If we walk around town will we be able to find a night time dinner folk show tour?

there are, but they will try to rip you off. try these folks--have used them (http://www.madeiraspecialtours.com/home) five or six times with fantastic results. they never meet a stranger, are priced reasonably, flexible, and know their business.

Biaria,

We're so sorry about the fires. We are going to be in Funchal for the first time on Oct.29th. What would you suggest that first time visitors see and do on such a short visit? I have enjoyed reading your posts over the past year. Also,what are the open hours of the market?

Thank you.

Judy

Hello Judy,

Thank you for your kind words, it's always a pity when our mountains get burnt and many times these fires are caused by criminal minds, sad but true.

Nice to know you've been reading my pots, thanks! It's my aim to help visitors use their time in Madeira, in a most favourable way.

Even though you're staying here for a few hours only, you can still use your time very profitably. Of course there several options, but your choice will depend on what your expectations are.

You can choose to spend your time in the city centre. You can visit the market, (by the way, it opens at 7am and only closes at 7pm), churches, museums, gardens, wine lodges and so son.

If you like the idea, there the HOHO bus. It'll take you on a nice tour of Funchal and some suburban areas.

Another idea would be you taking the cable car up to Monte (10 Euros per person one way and 15 Euros round trip). Monte is a nice place to spend some time strolling around, it's a gardened area and you can visit the church too.

One thing to be aware of when visiting Monte and to which I made reference to several times is, if you decide to take the Toboggan ride, once you finish it in down in Livramento, you're bound to be ripped off by the taxi drivers. They charge ridiculous amounts of money to take you anywhere, be it back up to Monte, down to the centre of town, your cruise ship, or wherever you ask them to take you to, so I always advise people to make an agreement with the driver, even before getting into the vehicle, and don't accept to pay more than 10 Euros if he's taking you to the centre of town, or 15 Euros if he's dropping you off at your cruise ship.

In Livramento, you can also choose to wait for the bus. One ticket bought inside the bus is now 1.80 Euros per person and it'll take you right to the centre of town, at an excellent price. Undoubtedly this would be my choice.

Good morning all

Biaria – We found where the #31 bus stop in town. We can check to see if it is accessible on our way to the cable car. If it is accessible, we will take it to the botanical garden and come back on the cable car through Monte.

Would you happen to know if they sell eel in the market or if it is on any of the restaurant menus?

Betty

Hello Betty,

Yes, I think that's an excellent plan about the 31 bus.

It may be possible to find eel in the fish market, or to have it in a restaurant, but it, certanly, is not something commonly used here.

Bye, bye.

Has anyone tried the waterpark on the island,looks great value and although its outside funchal its only a bus/taxi ride away anyone have info please

Hello Johnny,

Yes, our waterpark, in the town of Santa Cruz, is great fun and it can be enjoyed by all age groups, however be ware that it closes on October 31st and also that, at this time of the year, it may be a bit windy and cold in that area.

Hi Biaria: Looks like my tour may have to change. What is the cost from the ship to cable car, roundtrip to Monte. Which Botanical Garden would you pick in Monte and cost. What is there to do in Funchal on 12/8/10 a religious holiday. What is the cost of a cab to Monte and cable car back down.

Just looking at options if the tour has to change

Thanks

Dave

Hello Dave,

A taxi from the pier to the cable car station to Monte, will cost you 7.50 Euros, but it may possible for you to take a shuttle bus, just look and see if there's one available.

A cable car round trip ticket to Monte costs 15 Euros.

The gardens in Monte are the Monte PalaceTropical Gardens - 10 Euros per person entry fee. Apart from a visit to these gardens, you can choose to walk around the Municipal Gardens instead, which are free of charge.

Now, as you mention the Botanical Gardens, I must let you know that you can take another cable car in Monte, which will take you to the proper Botanical Gardens - one way 8.25 Euros, round trip 12.75 Euros. Entrance to the Botanical Gardens is 3 Euros per person. If you choose to visit these gardens, instead of going back to Monte, you can take the bus down to the centre of town, for 1.80 Euros per person.

A taxi ride from the pier to Monte will cost you 20 Euros per 4 passenger taxi, then if you take the cable car down to town, you'll pay 10 Euros per person.

That's right December, 8th is a religious holiday, so lots of things will be closed, but you can still visit the churches, gardens and stroll around.

We will be in Funchal Nov. 3/4 th over night. Not sure what we want to do. Are ther tour companies that sell tours at the cruise ship pier. If we walk around town will we be able to find a night time dinner folk show tour?

Hello Ed and Donna,

Nice to know you'll be in Madeira a month from today.

Once you leave your cruise ship and walk on to our pier, there'll be lots of taxi drivers, eager to sell you a tour... or two, as they know you'll be staying overnight. Very convenient, I know, but very expensive too. If you contact a tour company in advance, you'll get a better deal.

Likewise regarding your dinner folk show.

Enjoy Madeira!

Hello Biaria, thank you for being such an excellent local expert! My question is for the other posters.

Does anyone know of another private guide in case Daniel is booked?

try these folks--have used them (http://www.madeiraspecialtours.com/home) five or six times with fantastic results. they never meet a stranger, are priced reasonably, flexible, and know their business.

Hello Biaria, thank you for being such an excellent local expert! My question is for the other posters.

Does anyone know of another private guide in case Daniel is booked?

Hi Dbedros,

It's all my real pleasure!

We will be taking the ship shuttle to the cable car area of Funchal. Is the "old market" the same as the Mercado dos Lavradores? I see the location of the MDL on the Google map, but I am wondering if this is the same as the "old market" with the shopping center across the way. If they are different, what is the difference, and how do we find the old market?

Hello mimicsr,

Yes, the "old market" and Mecado dos Lavradores are exactly the same thing.

As your shuttle bus is dropping you off in the cable car area, then you'll be quite close to the market.

Have a nice day on the island!

I still am confused about location of old market. The Google map of Funchal has Mercado las Lavradores way up (about 1/2 mile) on Rua Bingadiero Oudinot. Then another map I looked at located it at junction of Rua Hospital Velho and Rua Do Visconde Andia. Which is it, or are there two of them?? Thanks again.

Mimi

Hi Mimi,

The area in front of Mercado dos Lavradores is named Largo dos Lavradores and the market is situated between Rua do Hospital Velho and Rua Latino Coelho. The street that's straight ahead, seen from the main entrance to the market, is Rua Fernão de Ornelas.

Biaria – We will be in Funchal on 29 October 2010. We would love to meet you, but because of the unknown accessibility on the #31 bus, I cannot predetermine when we will be where. If we can take the bus, chances are that we can go both the Botanical Gardens and Monte and be back in town by noon. The bus starts running a lot earlier than the cable car. I guess if you happen to be in town in the afternoon and see a couple ladies riding around on scooters, please say “hi”. We hope to see the sights near the water front on our way back to the ship from the cable car.

I did write to Monte Palace Tropical Garden. They are accessible, plus they have a cart that takes people around. Actually, the Palace Gardens look more enticing than the Botanical Gardens.

We leave tomorrow to start our trip.

Betty

Hello Betty,

You'll be in Madeira so soon!!!

Yes, the Tropical Gardens have more to see than the Botanical Gardens and the cart to take people around will be good for you, but, from what I know, the cart doesn't cover the whole area, because there are lots of steps, at least this is I was told, when I asked them once. However, if you're really interested, it'll be better than nothing, as you'll still be able to see something.

Once you're in Monte, if you still feel like visiting the Botanical Gardens, there's another cable car that can take you there (8.25 EUR one way, 12.75 EUR round trip).

Well... we never know, our paths may cross and I'll be able to say "Hi".

Enjoy your cruise and have a pleasant day in Madeira.

Safe travels!

biaria, This question may have been answered pages ago, however here goes. As a first time visitor to Funchal, is the basket ride something not to be missed. Would it be better to take the western tour of the island? Thanks. :)

Hi traveler111,

I'd say that the basket ride is more for the fun of it and people usually enjoy it, but if you're interested in seeing as much of Madeira as you possibly can, during the few hours you'll be here, then I think the western (or the eastern, for that matter) will be more appropriate. So, all in all it will depend on what you're looking for.