I live in Funchal - Madeira Island. I can advice

hi

we are visiting funchal in november on our TA.

We are looking at doing the jeep safari offered by royal caribbean, I wondered if there was any other companies on the island that did jeep safaris that may be a bit cheaper than royal caribbean.

thanks

Hi,

I will be visiting Maderia this Nov. Have been looking at the excursions offered from our ship. There is an excursion that includes the cable car to the Monte, Botonical Gardens, and a wicker basket ride down. Can you please tell me about the wicker basket ride. Is it safe and also worth taking?

Thank you

Sheila

Hello Biaria,

I've been reading through some of the posts on your page and am impressed with your kindness and knowledge. Great information, you're to be commended.

I am interested in fishing and have been reading about the GREAT fishing there. I have checked with a charter boat in Funchal and have been quoted a half day charter price of 700 Euros. We'll be arriving Funchal at 0800 on Nov.3 on a cruise ship. The ship stays overnight in port and we leave at 1600 Nov.4. I have been unable to find anyone to share the charter with us.

That said, my question is this. Is there a Tackle shop or some other shop where we can rent fishing gear, and is there a good location to go where we can fish from the shoreline?

Thanx in advance,

Ed

party-smiley-052.gifBiaria -

Oh, to learn so many languages. I never even learned English well. I was raised around Japanese, Spanish (Mexican), Danish and English and could understand the foreign within reason. Then when I was 11 we moved to Oregon where people only spoke English and I forgot the others.

When you were in California, you were in the Bay Area (San Francisco) which is quite a ways north of Santa Barbara.

Independence has its qualtities, but as one gets older you realize just how nice it is to have family nearby. My son and his family live downstairs from me. Other than that, my closest is a niece (foster daughter) a 1000 miles away.

Are all your children in Madeira? Or are some off in other parts of the world? My son joined the Navy and did get to do some traveling in his younger years.

Back to our travels:

The up and down hills in the gardens could really be hard on our batteries. For Ruth is not too much of a problem, but for me it is a serious problem (I'm rather bit heavy). Of course, I would really like to see that white peacock.

Thanks for the info on the buses. I will write to them to see if I can get a listing of the routes that are accessible. Their “English” version of the website is down right now. I am sure we would enjoy going at least one way on the cable car so I will check out possibilities of taking the bus just one way. I think it would be a lot less expensive.

Betty

Hi Betty,

Sorry I was away from these boards for so long.

Oh... you had such a multilingual up bringing, it's a pity it was only until you were 11. Imagine you, now, speaking all those languages...

Yes, when I visited California I went to the Bay Area as well. It was such a special experience for me to be in San Francisco... You know... those famous places you only normally see on TV, when you're lucky enough to get there, you go WOW.

I understand you, as much as we treasure our independence, after a certain age having our family for company is very precious, welcome and necessary.

My children all live in Madeira, my eldest daughter has her own house, but the other three are still living with us. They travel sometimes, but not much. I think you son was very lucky to have the opportunity to do some travelling, it's always good to meet different realities.

I'd love to be able to tell you that the Gardens are completely accessible by wheelchair, but that's not the case, I'm so sorry. You can try to go in, but the area you'll visit is very limited.

I haven't see many buses with access for wheelchairs, so you may have dificulty finding one where you need it.

hi

we are visiting funchal in november on our TA.

We are looking at doing the jeep safari offered by royal caribbean, I wondered if there was any other companies on the island that did jeep safaris that may be a bit cheaper than royal caribbean.

thanks

Hi PurpleJet,

There are some companies doing jeep safaris in Madeira, if you search on Google, I think I'll find them.

Hi,

I will be visiting Maderia this Nov. Have been looking at the excursions offered from our ship. There is an excursion that includes the cable car to the Monte, Botonical Gardens, and a wicker basket ride down. Can you please tell me about the wicker basket ride. Is it safe and also worth taking?

Thank you

Sheila

Hello Sheila,

The wicker basket ride, also known as Toboggan ride, is one of Madeira's well known touristic attractions. This wicker basket seats two or three people and does a 2km downhill run, controlled by two men.

I can say it's rather safe, because during all these years, things went wrong only once. If you are the adventurous type and have no health problems on your back, I think you'll enjoy it.

Hello Biaria,

I've been reading through some of the posts on your page and am impressed with your kindness and knowledge. Great information, you're to be commended.

I am interested in fishing and have been reading about the GREAT fishing there. I have checked with a charter boat in Funchal and have been quoted a half day charter price of 700 Euros. We'll be arriving Funchal at 0800 on Nov.3 on a cruise ship. The ship stays overnight in port and we leave at 1600 Nov.4. I have been unable to find anyone to share the charter with us.

That said, my question is this. Is there a Tackle shop or some other shop where we can rent fishing gear, and is there a good location to go where we can fish from the shoreline?

Thanx in advance,

Ed

Hello Ed,

Thank you so much for your kind words. I love to help, so here I am offering my contribution, to whoever may need my help.

As far as a place for your fishing is concerned, we usually see people fishing at the pier, not exactly where the cruise ships dock, but kind of just across the street. When you get down from your cruise ship, you'll see this tall wall, all the way alongside the ship. All you have to do is look for the steps to take you to the very top and that's where you can fish.

Now the problem is renting the fishing gear, as I don't think it'll be possible here.

Hello Sheila,

The wicker basket ride, also known as Toboggan ride, is one of Madeira's well known touristic attractions. This wicker basket seats two or three people and does a 2km downhill run, controlled by two men.

I can say it's rather safe, because during all these years, things went wrong only once. If you are the adventurous type and have no health problems on your back, I think you'll enjoy it.

Hello Biaria

Thank you for your reply. I have another question, after I finish this tour that ends around 1pm, what is there to do near where the ship docks? The ship leaves at 5pm, is there enough time to do something on our own?

Thank you, Sheila

Hello again Sheila,

Yes, after you finish your tour at 1pm, you can spend some time walking around the centre of town. There's lots to see and Funchal is very walkable.

Don't miss a visit to the market, it's situated near the Old Town area, not far from the Cable Car station.

If you're good walkers, you'll easily walk back to your cruise ship in the end.

Edited by biaria

Hello again Sheila,

Yes, after you finish your tour at 1pm, you can spend some time walking around the centre of town. There's lots to see and Funchal is very walkable.

Don't miss a visit to the market, it's situated near the Old Town area, not far from the Cable Car station.

If you're good walkers, you'll easily walk back to your cruise ship in the end.

Biaria, Thank you.

At the end of the tour we would like to have lunch in Funchal. The old town sounds nice. In case we are tired, can we easily find a taxi to get back to the ship?

Sheila

Good morning Sheila,

The Old Town is a good place for you to have your lunch, you'll find several restaurants there.

Yes, in case you need a taxi to take you back to your ship, you'll find one easily.

Good morning Sheila,

The Old Town is a good place for you to have your lunch, you'll find several restaurants there.

Yes, in case you need a taxi to take you back to your ship, you'll find one easily.

Hello Biaria,

Thank you for all of your replies. My husband and I are looking forward to spending a great day on Madeira.

Sheila

I have just finished reading the posts on this forum as I am planning a DIY tour of Funchal (Madeira) for a day in October when my cruise docks. The information you, especially as a local, and the other posters provided will help me immensely in planning my day on your island. Thank you for providing accurate information and for taking your time to help us have a wonderful time in Madeira. I can't wait to visit your island!:)

I have just finished reading the posts on this forum as I am planning a DIY tour of Funchal (Madeira) for a day in October when my cruise docks. The information you, especially as a local, and the other posters provided will help me immensely in planning my day on your island. Thank you for providing accurate information and for taking your time to help us have a wonderful time in Madeira. I can't wait to visit your island!:)

Edited by Gabysab
double post

Sorry for the double post but all this information deserves double thanks!

Hi Gabysad, :)

I'm so pleased my information will be of use to you.

Enjoy your day in Madeira, I know you'll love it.

Hi everyone,

I have some news for those of you, planning to use public transport during your visit to Funchal.

As from today, one ticket bought inside the bus, dropped from 2.10 Euros to 1.80 Euros. It's just a small saving, but still good news. :)

Good morning Biaria - I did write to Horários asking about the #31 and 31A bus and expect to hear from them in the near future. If we can take it from the Garden back to Central, that would give us a little more sightseeing.

Betty[/QUO

Hello Betty, :)

Yes, let's wait and see what they say.

Hello Biaria, I just finished reading all the posts and you are truly a wealth of information. We will be arriving on the Disney Magic Sep 22 8:30am to 9:30pm. We are quite active and looking to either take the hike around Pico Do Ariero or Pico Ruivo, or walking the Levadas. What is the best way to reach these places - should we hire a taxi for the day or rent a car? Ming

We are arriving November 1, 2010 on the Westerdam and I am wondering if tour operators will be working and what will be open for sightseeing on this holiday. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Connie

Hello ibethenanya,

Yes, even though November 1st is a holyday, tour operatour will be working and all sightseeing sites are always available.

Enjoy Madeira!

Hello Biaria, I just finished reading all the posts and you are truly a wealth of information. We will be arriving on the Disney Magic Sep 22 8:30am to 9:30pm. We are quite active and looking to either take the hike around Pico Do Ariero or Pico Ruivo, or walking the Levadas. What is the best way to reach these places - should we hire a taxi for the day or rent a car? Ming

Hello MsCruiserT,

You can either hire the taxi or rent a car, however, if you choose the taxi option, you'll be able to relax more.

If, on the other hand, you are an adventurous type of person, you'll probably enjoy the "drive yourself" challenge.

Enjoy the island.