Westerdam Deck Plan differences on Travel Web-sites … anyone know the reason

canehdn

Perhaps some of you have come across this and know the reason. Why would there be a difference in floor plan between the Holland America site and travel web-sites? (not sure if I'm allowed to give proper names so I won't, but I'm refering to the site with the yellow airpane on the blue globe and the traveling gnome site) I’m specifically looking at rooms on the Rotterdam deck of the Westerdam. I was scouting out rooms for my next cruise and noticed on both sites and the room I had last time VA7143 does not show up on their sites. When I took a closer look I noticed quite a few differences in the numbering of the rooms on these sites. Neither of these sites show the same number of rooms in the aft section of this deck as the HAL site. There are 15 balcony rooms on the port and starboard sides aft of the mid-ship suites on the HAL site and only 12 on each side on the other 2 sites. There are 18 inside rooms in this section on the HAL site and only 13 shown on the other two. I realize that travel agents don’t get access to all the same rooms that HAL itself sells, but why would there be a difference in number of rooms shown on the deck plan and more specifically the numbering sequence. If I booked room 7125 on the other two sites I would think I was booking the last side-facing balcony room before the aft-facing rooms, when in actuality that would be room 7143. Doesn't this difference create problems? There may be a perfectly logical explanation and I'm looking to you knowledgeable long-time CC'ers for help with that.

Odd that a site that large would have an outdated deck plan but that would be my guess. The Westerdam and two of the other Vista class (Oosterdam and Zuiderdam) had their stern refitted to add additional cabins over the last several years. Go with the plans on the HAL website.

Just a little surprising that 2 travel sites this large would work with outdated deck plans. Can't sell rooms you don't offer to the public. Appreciate your input NetwrkEng ... thanks.

I was curious about this so I checked the Oosterdam since I know we were in SC6169 on the stern last year and they refitted her in April.

And sure enough on Exp**** they are showing the old deck plan.

Exp

DP_3_103_7_V1_CP1_f.GIF

HAL

img_uv_deck_08.gif

If I chose cabin #6163 through Ex***** thinking I was in the last side-facing cabin before the aft-facing cabins only to find out there are 2 others beyond me. Just a personal thing for me because I happen to like that room. But the fact is ... you're not getting what you think you purchased.

Thanks for the follow-up. I appreciate it.

We had an SY GUAR last June and when I saw 6169 as our assignment I went to a site I used to use to check the deck plans. I was not a happy camper until I checked the HAL site.

In their case they had the new one up before the retrofit. And as you can see there is BIG difference in the old 6169 and the new 6169.

Moral of story is always use cruise line deck plans...

I don't use these sites except to check for lower fares. If I find them lower than the HAL posted price I ask my travel agent to meet their price. I just stumbled on this when checking availability of that particular room. Had to do a double-take when that room didn't appear on the deck plan. That's when I compared all 3 sites.

Thanks for your research and replies.

Archived