How to manage with less luggage on Cruise?

justkath

Pack your bags with what you think you want to take; the unpack it and put 1/2 of it back in the closet or drawers and you will find that you probably still took more than you really needed to. Remember, you are going on a cruise, not to a fashion show. People dont keep track of what you wear, how many outfits you have - and if they do, you will probably never see or hear from them again. So relax and enjoy your cruise with your reduced wardrobe; it is very unneccesary to stress over such matters!!!:)

The plastic bags from the dry cleaners work really well layered between clothes to prevent wrinkles. It's a great way to recycle and if your suitcase gets wet your clothes are more likely to stay dry. You can then use the plastic bags to line the drawers and shelves in the closet to keep your things fresh.

1 pr heels for dining room

1 pr crocs for beach and deck days

1 pr sneakers for excursions/running/working out

1 thin knit evening dress for formal night 1

1 thin shawl or printed scarf to wrap around evening dress for second formal night

1 pair black crepe pants

3 blouses/tops for dinner nights 3 & 4--no one looks at your pants at dinner!

1 business casual skirt or pants and blouse/top for first night on board--everyone dresses casual the first night, and you wear these to board the ship

repeat business casual for last night--change blouse or top or dressy t

two swimsuits

two coverups

lingerie, inc 2 pr socks if you use them with sneakers--wash them and dry overnight

toiletries, makeup, medications

hair supplies

HAT WITH A BROAD BRIM

you can fit all of this is a carryon or 24' suitcase, and be well within your weight limit

AND, you can exit the ship whenever you like, because you don't have to have your luggage collected the night prior!

It's a 10 night cruise, not 7.

And, it's a Baltic cruise, so where are these beach days?

Honestly, people here need to learn to read before they cut and paste their stock answers.

OP, HAL doesn't care if you don't follow the dress code, and bring evening pants with a few sparkly tee shirts. You'll be dressed just like many of the women.

For ten night plus cruises, my DH did the tux rental thing. We packed fairly lightly for a 16 night crossing on HAL a few years back.

We did do laundry on board, and we wore slacks quite a few times. Pick a basic color scheme like black, tan and white, and mix and match. I also found some great travel skirts that were reversible. Match with a couple Lands End jewel necks and I was set for casual nights.

DH brought just a few golf shirts, some casual long sleeve denim and/or cotton shirts, a few pair of dockers, and he was fine. Since we had 7 sea days, we did launder the "unmentionables" rather than bring 16 pair of everything.

Enjoy your cruise!

For a cruise shorter than two weeks, I bring one 25" suitcase, even if I need to pack for multiple temperatures. Here are the tips I use for myself:

1. I pull out everything I *think* I'd like to bring and hang it on butler bars in my closet; then, I go through it and pull out anything that is similar to something else. Then, I go through it and make sure everything is somewhat color-coordinated, i.e., all tops can be worn with more than one pair of pants, etc. This eliminates a whole lot of clothing.

2. I also make sure what I'm bringing is relatively lightweight. If I'm packing for hot and cold on the same cruise, I plan on layers, layers, layers.

3. I bring a jacket that while warm, is light enough to pack into it's own pocket.

4. I pack one long black t-shirt dress that I wear on formal nights and bring a couple of lightweight, sparkly shawls to dress it up.

5. I pack only two pairs of lightweight sandals, beige and black, that go with everything, and wear my walking/excursion shoes on the plane.

6. I pack only travel-sized toiletries. If it's a long trip, I pack a couple of bottles/packages of each one.

Getting a lightweight duffle is a good idea. They are relatively inexpensive and even the ones with wheels are pretty lightweight. Something I do is line my suitcase with lightweight garbage bags in case my luggage is left out in the rain. Then, I use one of them as a laundry bag on the ship. When going home, I pack my dirty clothes in the garbage bag so that when I walk in the door, I can pull it out and leave it by the washer/dryer.

Archived