Oosterdam – any difference between the Deluxe Verandah Outside Staterooms?

2cruisealot

Hi, sorry if this is a dumb question – can anybody tell me why there is a price difference between the VA, VB, VC, VD, VE, VF and VH categories – is it because of their location or something else? Thanks.

location, location, location.
AND the size of the balconies. Deck 5 VE and VF are smaller than side VA/VB/VC, VD are larger than side VA/VB/VC.

Well....I think the VH on the "O" has a steele balcony rather than the plexiglass.
Yes - and also all of the deck 4 VF have the steel railings.

We are thinking of the 19 day trip through the Panama Canal, and as this would be the longest cruise for us so far, thought we would treat ourselves to a verandah cabin (only had insides & outsides before).

Also, we have not been on the Oosterdam before so are not sure if there any advantages or disadvantages of being on specific decks or is it just a case of booking the best category you can afford? I guess it's personal preference but I'm not sure if there are any subtle differences that would help us make a decision. Many thanks for your help....

VD balconies are midpriced, and slightly deeper - and it's amazing what a big difference just a slight depth increase makes! However, you should do a search for the extra special VD cabin 4164, to see if it's still available on your sailing. It has a double width balcony, due to a crew stairway. 4166 also has this much wider balcony, but the cabin has shower only (tubs are normally standard). A shower can be plus for some, a big minus for others.

YMMV, but I don't always think the location is always better at the top end - VA. The VA's towards the stern of Navigation deck cabins are under the pool. They can get extra noise early in the morning when the crew move and clean deck chairs.

We are looking to book cabin VD4164 on the Noordam. Does this have a larger balcony as on the Oosterdam?

Also, looking at the 'virtual tour' on HAL website of VD cabins, there doesn't look to be much room between the end of the bed and the wall. Would this be better as 2 single beds?

Does anyone have a picture of a VD cabin set up with 2 single beds?

We are looking to book cabin VD4164 on the Noordam. Does this have a larger balcony as on the Oosterdam?

Yes - all 4 Vista ships have this special cabin. Grab it!

Also, looking at the 'virtual tour' on HAL website of VD cabins, there doesn't look to be much room between the end of the bed and the wall. Would this be better as 2 single beds?

You're correct - but it's enough. I've travelled with 3 in a cabin, and the "squeeze" makes it a traffic hazard whether the beds are split or not. However, with only 2 in the cabin, I'm sure things will be much better.

Sorry, I don't have a photo. Perhaps someone else will post one.

However, you should do a search for the extra special VD cabin 4164, to see if it's still available on your sailing. It has a double width balcony, due to a crew stairway.

Is this cabin noisy due to the adjacent crew stairway?

Rick

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone have any recomendations on which verandah category to go for on the Oosterdam for a guarantee?

I would say a VD. This way you know there is no chance in getting a metal railing on your balcony.

John

I wondered what is the problem with a steel rail, first time cruiser so don't know the difference

When you're sitting on your veranda with a steel rail you can't see the scenery outward. You can look up and out, but you'll miss a lot of the view.

Archived