Verizon Phones

SkiCruiser44

Does anyone know if Azamara has Verizon setup on the ship - I know RCL & Celebrity do. Has anyone used a Verizon phone on the ship? Otherwise I may have to get a phone to use over there.

Thanks,

Kathy

Hi Kathy !

I can tell you that my Verizon phone worked fine in several ports in the Caribbean. Others were hit and miss. Expect the roaming charges and other fees to be high. I hope this helps. Enjoy your Cruise !

I have Verizon too and will be traveling on the Quest in October. Do they have an International Plan available that may save money. Hate to bring a lap top only for communication, so much else to carry. Do they have computers on the ship that you can use for that purpose?? Is it less expensive to call while in port or on the ship??

I have Verizon too and will be traveling on the Quest in October. Do they have an International Plan available that may save money. Hate to bring a lap top only for communication, so much else to carry. Do they have computers on the ship that you can use for that purpose?? Is it less expensive to call while in port or on the ship??

I don't know whether Verizon phones now work on Azamara ships. Mine didn't in January 2008, but others have since reported that they do. If you plan to use your cell phone internationally, it is important to check the specifics on where your phone will work and the roaming rates. Verizon has detailed information on its web site although it does not list Azamara.

Since you will be on Quest in October, it looks like you are headed for Europe. Be aware that standard Verizon phones will not work in port in Europe. Verizon uses CDMA, and European countries use GSM technology. If you want to use a Verizon phone in a European port, you can either update to a global phone that has both CDMA and GSM or Verizon will lend you a phone for up to three weeks. I got a global phone this year before we went to Australia and New Zealand for five weeks. It was cheaper to call in port than from the Celebrity ship--$2.49 per minute on the ship, $1.99 in New Zealand and 99 cents in Australia (with a global package).

There are, of course, other cell phone options that may be better depending on what you want to do.

Text messaging is another option. Internationally, including on cruise ships, Verizon charges 50 cents to send a message and 5 cents to receive one. Domestic text packages do not apply.

There are computers on board that you can use for internet access at a fairly high price. Internet cafes will be much cheaper if you are willing to give up some port time.

When I last checked, the ship did not support Verizon, meaning that when the ship is out to sea, you would not be able to make cell calls.

When the ship is in port or you are in town, you can use your cell phone PROVIDED it has a GSM chip. Not all phones can be upgraded with GSM chips so you would need to check with Verizon about your phone. If the phone can be upgraded, you would pay a fee to make and receive calls and roaming charges. The Verizon website lists these fees for each European country you would visit so you can check before going to decide if you want to use this.

Also, Verizon has a plan in which they will loan you a phone for a period of time for temporary travel overseas. Again, details are on the Verizon website.

As mentioned by the previous poster, their are also internet options available on the ship and in internet shops in most port cities.

So there are many options open and you will have to do some investigation to determine which is best in your case.

We were on the Journey last Oct/Nov, and our Verizon phone did NOT work. We'll be on the Journey again in September and were wondering what the status was. So I called the Captain's Club and asked -- I was told that our Verizon phone WOULD work on the ship, and that I should check with Verizon for pricing. So I went to my neighborhood Verizon store yesterday and was told that Verizon phones would NOT work on Azamara ships!

So, who knows! I'll let this thread know what we find in Sept on the Journey.

Gary

Gary you're on the sailing just before us - I'd love to know for sure that it's going to work. I went out and looked at Verizon's link to the Maritime service and Azamara is listed. Our phone worked when we were on RCCL in '07 in the Med so I'm hoping it will work this time.

I have an iphone and downloaded the application Truphone. When in port, if I find a place with free wifi, I can call the US using the application for 20 cents a minute- free, if I am calling anothe iphone user who has the application.

My biggest concern when I am traveling is having an elderly mother - I know there would be nothing I could do from so far away but if not for wanting to be able to be in contact I wouldn't bother to take one - believe me I'm not going on vacation to stay in touch with the things I take a vacation to get away from - i.e. work!

Gary you're on the sailing just before us - I'd love to know for sure that it's going to work. I went out and looked at Verizon's link to the Maritime service and Azamara is listed. Our phone worked when we were on RCCL in '07 in the Med so I'm hoping it will work this time.

We board the Journey on 8/30. I might bring along my laptop, so I could post while on the cruise - or use the ship's computers.

Gary

Gary - that would be great - we're on the 9/13 sailing so it would give me time to make other arrangements if I need to.

I'd also like to hear about your cruise - since we follow you guys. We're excited 90 days and counting.

Here's what Verizon has to say:

Scroll down to "Cruise Ship Coverage":

http://b2b.vzw.com/international/Roaming/rates_coverage.html

Note that while RCI and X are listed by ship, Azamara is not.

The AT&T Mobility and Sea Mobile Joint Venture (the service provider on cruise ships), lists Verizon CDMA as one of the roaming partners (http://www.cellularatsea.com/roaming.htm) and lists Azamara Cruises as one of the lines in service (http://www.cellularatsea.com/shipsinservice.htm), specifically Journey and Quest (http://www.cellularatsea.com/shipsinservice.htm#azamara)

The AT&T Mobility and Sea Mobile Joint Venture (the service provider on cruise ships), lists Verizon CDMA as one of the roaming partners (http://www.cellularatsea.com/roaming.htm) and lists Azamara Cruises as one of the lines in service (http://www.cellularatsea.com/shipsinservice.htm), specifically Journey and Quest (http://www.cellularatsea.com/shipsinservice.htm#azamara)

So ... Verizon lists RCI & X ships but not Azamara. The joint venture mentioned does list Journey & Quest. I guess this proves you can find any answer possible on the Internet ... one can only guess which one is right. Of course, you would think the service provider (joint venture) would know who they provide service to! Good info.

So ... Verizon lists RCI & X ships but not Azamara. The joint venture mentioned does list Journey & Quest. I guess this proves you can find any answer possible on the Internet ... one can only guess which one is right. Of course, you would think the service provider (joint venture) would know who they provide service to! Good info.

We'll find out who is correct on our upcoming Baltic Cruise on the Journey, sailing in July 12. But my experience with Verizon (even though I like their service) is their site is often not up to date and their agents (on the phone and in their stores) are often clueless on questions like these...especially in the stores. But as you point out, you can find any answer you want on the internet if you try :).

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
We were on the Journey last Oct/Nov, and our Verizon phone did NOT work. We'll be on the Journey again in September and were wondering what the status was. So I called the Captain's Club and asked -- I was told that our Verizon phone WOULD work on the ship, and that I should check with Verizon for pricing. So I went to my neighborhood Verizon store yesterday and was told that Verizon phones would NOT work on Azamara ships!

So, who knows! I'll let this thread know what we find in Sept on the Journey.

Gary

I found our Verizon phones did NOT work on the Journey for our European cruise last month.

Gary

I found our Verizon phones did NOT work on the Journey for our European cruise last month.

Gary

I don't know whether it would make any difference, but were you using a standard Verizon CDMA phone or one of their global CDMA/GSM phones? My global phone picked up both the CDMA and GSM signals on Celebrity so I'm wondering if there is a chance of connecting to GSM on Azamara.

I don't know whether it would make any difference, but were you using a standard Verizon CDMA phone or one of their global CDMA/GSM phones? My global phone picked up both the CDMA and GSM signals on Celebrity so I'm wondering if there is a chance of connecting to GSM on Azamara.

When I travel outside of the US, I take my VZ Global phone. It works on GSM by Vodafone. The same with the Netbook I got from Verizon Wireless and I equipped it with the GSM chip as well.

On cruises, Azamara may be too small to invest in both CDMA AND GSM technologies. But the if you may have to manually change the mode to GSM, it'll use the Vodafone GSM Roaming features while on the ship. In ports, the shipboard system is turned off so you'll make calls or connect to the internet using the GSM based voice/data carriers.

• 1 month later...

We have the standard CDMA phone.

Archived