Car Rental in Skagway

J18ktleo

Wondering if this would be the way to go costwise, freedom wise and timewise.

We're in port 7am to 6:30 pm and have been there before and done the White Pass Railway so this time we're thinking of doing a road trip...got the info on the guide books so what advice can you give us???:rolleyes:

Also, anyone used or heard of Sourdough Car Rentals in Skagway???

Just back from our cruise the week of May 23. We rented through Avis, had a discount code so got a Toyota Corolla for total of $108, gas was $25. They have a whole bunch of new Corolla's and Camry's, ours still had the "New" tag on it.

You can check out our pics, we drove out to Carcross and did a saddle/paddle at Spirited Adventures. We enjoyed the the drive and saw bears along the way in two different spots.

Erika's pics, Skagway, drive to Carcross and Emerald Lake, saddle/paddle at Spirited Adventures, Erika has more pics:

http://picasaweb.google.com/defitz3/2009_05_27SkagwayToEmeraldLakeDrive?authkey=Gv1sRgCMzl8afGk7CxjgE#

Denise's pics, one album from start to finish (Seattle to Vancouver, cruise, and back)

http://picasaweb.google.com/defitz3/AlaskaMay2009RCCLSerenadeRoundtripOutOfVancouver?authkey=Gv1sRgCKDvp7uly-DG-AE#

I booked a minivan for my family for our day in Skagway with a company called Sourdough. I heard some good things from cc and they allow you to go on the gravel roads where Avis does not allow you to do this. They are a short walk from the pier. All the reports I heard of renting a vehcle have been very positive.

so are the miles unlimited and insurance the same as here? We can use what's on our credit card?

Great pics BTW, thanks for sharing!

Our miles w/ Avis were unlimited, but always double check.

Our personal insurance covers us for rentals.

Not sure what your question is re credit card?

We turned around at Emerald Lake because a tour operator as well as the people at Spirited Adventures said it's not worth the addtl 1 1/2 hour round trip to Whitehorse.

I heard that Sourdough's website has a good tour map too, for free.

I'd bought Murray's Guide, but decided not to lug the laptop that I'd downloaded it on along, and hadn't printed it. It was actually fun to just go at it on our own w/ no guide and just enjoy the view.

I also just finished captioning my daughter's pics on the above link.

I'll agree about turning around at Emerald Lake. We drove on to Whitehorse a few years ago and it was no different then driving through, say, Pennsylvania on the turnpike to Breezewood...

And the drive is a lot different from the train.

We rented from Avis and had no problems.

Springfire,

Thanks, I saw Sourdough and was wondering about them...only review I saw said the rental was old and dirty (this was in 2005) but ran great!

Sourdough does have older vehicles but they are reliable. If you call to make a reservation, they are very friendly. You get an inclusive rate including all taxes. We are a family of 5 and I was able to get a van to go around. He was quick to point out that you are allowed to go on the gravel roads. I have nothing against Avis, I will be renting from them in Anchrage to go one way to the airport at the end of my cruise. I just like the idea of getting a local company and they are so much cheaper, Sourdough seems like they want me to have a good time. The cost and benefits of a rental for the 5 of us is just too great to pass up. I will also down load the Murphy guide to help me with the sights. It is only $5.00 and is a great guide.

Archived