HELP! San Francisco

We have 2 days in port in San Francisco in September (7 am to 5 pm next day). We are a family of 4 - daughter 13 and son 10. We have never been to San Francisco and are SO EXCITED. I have asked a few questions on other threads and gotten great advice, but need a bit more. The only big requests are crossing the golden gate bridge and riding a trolley car. We were originally thinking of renting bikes to cross the bridge, but now are not so sure. I am seriously considering the city passes. We could then use them for alcatraz and cable car passes. We would then not rent the bikes and get around more with the public transportation. Some other things we are considering are the Exploritorium, Academy of Sciences, Hyde Street Pier, Pampanito, etc. etc. Any advice and recommendations of touring schedule would be great. I have no idea how long this stuff would take. Sorry this is so long. Thanks so much.

If you are primarily interested in getting around by public transit, you may want to consider waiting to get here and buy a Muni Passport (http://www.sfmta.com/cms/mfares/passports.htm) rather than a CityPass. It's less expensive and if you are not interested in all the attractions the CityPass covers it may be the better deal.

An interesting day trip would be to take either the Powell Mason or Powell Hyde cable car from Fisherman's Wharf. The former runs through North Beach and the Latter climbs Russian Hill before traipsing through Chinatown, Nob Hill and ultimately ending up at Union Square. From Union Square, you can then take the F Market Historic Streetcar back to the point of beginning.

Muni also can take you to the Golden Gate Bridge Toll Plaza, and from there you can walk across the Golden Gate Bridge. If you don't want to walk, consider taking Golden Gate Transit Route 10 to the Sausalito Ferry Terminal and take the ferry back to the Ferry Building in San Francisco (these are not covered by CityPass or a Muni Passport, but it does make for an interesting trip.) for more information on this alternative, visit http://goldengatetransit.org/

Enjoy your visit.

For 2 days, it really depends on where your family interests are at.

If your kids are even remotely interested in science/ nature, the Academy of Sciences is worth the time. If you're debating between exploratorium and the academy, I'd go with the academy.

We recently took our 10 and 7 year olds to the Academy of Sciences- and had a blast there. They have things ranging from a planetarium show, to an albino alligator, aquarium. My favorite thing was a 3 story walkthrough "rainforest" for lack of a better description. Thousands of butterflies, made for some nice photos; they even had some leafcutter bugs/ ants(?) in action, tiny tree frogs.

Alcatraz is worth doing as well; make sure to buy tickets beforehand.

Cable Cars are empty early in the morning, and later in the evening.

If you have any specific likes/ dislikes, I'd be happy to give suggestions.

IF your kids are the least bit inquisitive about how things work and have an ounce of creativity, I would suggest the Exploratorium and Zeum. The location of the Exploratorium (http://www.exploratorium.edu) is the Palace of Fine Arts - which is the remaining structure of those built for the 1915 Pan Pacific Exhibition (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palace_of_Fine_Arts). It is a beautiful site for a picnic lunch.

You can find out more about Zeum at http://www.zeum.org - check out the exhibits link at the top of the page for better descriptions.

Hi. Thanks so much for all of your replies. We have a pretty wide variety of interests. My son loves all things science and how things work and my daughter is artistic and creative. However, I don't really think we would me into museums too much. My husband and I enjoy scenery more than they do, but they enjoy it as well. I'm not sure if this helps. We just really want to get a feel for the highlights of San Francisco and maybe a few extra things the kids would enjoy.

We were on the Splendor cruise that went to SF, Victoria and Seattle. We had been to SF and done all the "tourist" places, so we rented bicycles and rode across the bridge. If you like biking, I would highly recommend this! We rented from Blazing Saddles - I think the Pier 41 location was closest to the ship. They will rent by the hour up to the day rate, so you don't have to rent for the entire day. We rode from there to the bridge, across the bridge, and turned around and went back (it was getting dark and drizzly and there were no lights on the bikes). Took us a little over 2 hours.

museums such as Zeum and Exploritorium are really hands on science places--you have to do stuff and play with stuff to enjoy them. the exploritorium is half way from fisherman's wharf to the GG bridge--you could walk there to the bridge along the water-at Crissy Field.

Zeum is for the creative--you can make your own claymation short animation, you can play with digital cameras, etc. it is just south of market street on 4th --just two blocks south of market. in the metreon next door, at 4th and Mission, there is a new farmer's market/crafts market inside--called Island Earth market--7 days a week.

for a real feel of SF away from tourist spots---take the 38 Geary bus all the way out to the cliff house and ocean beach. DO NOT GO in the water---very very hazardous. stop west of park presidio Ave and have some lunch at a neighborhood ethnic rest.

I have kids and the things they enjoyed are the museums (free for the city kids), the beach, japantown, alcatraz and the zoo. the ships at hyde street are neat, as is the pampanito submarine and Museum Mechanique next door. have some boudins bread.

Get a Muni pass, as a previous poster mentioned. I think a 1-day is $11, and a 3-day is $18. It's convenient, as you don't have to pull out cash, and you don't have to worry about transfers, and it may save money if you're going on the cable cars more than once ($5 each way).

If you're doing the cable cars, two of the three lines run from the Fisherman's Wharf area to Union Square/ Market Street. The latter is where the major department stores are located. If you're into shopping, you can spend all day there. This area would give you some feel for what the business part of SF is like as well. To get a trip back to the wharf area, there's a Muni bus line (forgot the number) which would put you right through Chinatown and North Beach. My wife and I liked Chinatown (as we found a great dim sum place) but the kids didn't like it because of the crowds. They did like the little fortune cookie "factory" in Ross Alley, but it was tiny and a quick 2 minute visit there.

While I like Japantown, it's a bit further out relative to the center of the City.

We stayed at the Wharf last time, so if you have any specific Wharf questions, please feel free to ask.

Unfortunately, I can't speak to any of the tours, as I've never taken one, but it may be a good way to see all the spots in one shot.

it is a small shopping area--right on geary west of downtown (take 38 geary bus from union square). it would be good for lunch, if you like japanese food--and has a great bookstore if your kids are into animae/manga. it is only a two block area (most japanese taken away during the war) but it is something different. chinatown is much larger, more going on, more shopping and eating and is next to financial district.

one thing to remember--no matter what the weather is where you stay--always take a coat/hoodie with you. the weather changes by the block--so the west side can be 20 degrees colder than the east side of town. don't wear shorts.

there is also a cable car museum on the north end of chinatown...it is the cable car barn--and there will be lots going on there since two cable cars were smashed yesterday when a cab hit them (the cable cars were parked at the turnaround)

If you are primarily interested in getting around by public transit, you may want to consider waiting to get here and buy a Muni Passport (http://www.sfmta.com/cms/mfares/passports.htm) rather than a CityPass. It's less expensive and if you are not interested in all the attractions the CityPass covers it may be the better deal.

An interesting day trip would be to take either the Powell Mason or Powell Hyde cable car from Fisherman's Wharf. The former runs through North Beach and the Latter climbs Russian Hill before traipsing through Chinatown, Nob Hill and ultimately ending up at Union Square. From Union Square, you can then take the F Market Historic Streetcar back to the point of beginning.

Muni also can take you to the Golden Gate Bridge Toll Plaza, and from there you can walk across the Golden Gate Bridge. If you don't want to walk, consider taking Golden Gate Transit Route 10 to the Sausalito Ferry Terminal and take the ferry back to the Ferry Building in San Francisco (these are not covered by CityPass or a Muni Passport, but it does make for an interesting trip.) for more information on this alternative, visit http://goldengatetransit.org/

Enjoy your visit.

I think this would be the best way to see the Bridge. We drove over it last week, & one of the pedestrian lanes was closed for maintenance, meaning the open lane was quite full. It would be difficult to navigate a bike iwth alot of pedestrains in a small area.

pedestrians and bikes are only allowed on the east sidewalk during the week--the west sidewalk is always closed. the west side is open for bikes only on weekends--the east side is still for foot traffic.

the 28 muni bus leaves from Ft. Mason by fisherman's wharf and stops at the toll plaza for the bridge. if it is the weekend, check out ft point under the bridge

I do like to remind people who take public transit around San Francisco to be aware of pickpockets. Especially on the very crowded busses that go thru Chinatown to Union Square. Keep your wallets and purses close and wear your backpack in the front.

I haven't read the thread, because I got too excited. The Exploratorium is a MUST if you can get a reservation for the Tactile Dome. My parents took me when I was 10, and I loved it. I've been recommended it to people for *gulp* 20 years, and it's always a hit!

Also, there's something called Musee Mechanique around Pier 45. It's a bunch of old coin operated machines. They have wood ones, carnival-type stuff, pinball, and some older video games. It's free, but plan on spending some quarters ;)

The cable car museum is very informative about the Cable Cars and is the power house that houses the cables and easily accessed from the Powell- Mason line. Not a big museum but interesting and free.

Well, I think the problem is that we want to do it ALL! I was looking at the City Pass which is certainly a good deal, but I'm not sure we could possibly fit in enough to make it worthwhile. We would use it to ride the cable cars and buses, go to alcatraz, and try to go to the exploritorium and academy of sciences. However, we also want to be sure to bike or walk the bridge, walk down Lombard Street, and see a bit of Fisherman's Wharf. My husband is also interested in touring the submarine! Is there any way we can do all of this in 2 days? Obviously the first thing that would go is one of the science museums. Please help!

the sub is right at fisherman's wharf. skip lombard street--really--a waste of time. start at fisherman's wharf--skip the stuff at pier 39. walk past the fishing fleet and go to lower ft mason and catch the 28 bus, stop at exploritorium on the way. then to gg bridge. sign up for late alcatraz tour. there is one day. or even less.

take the cable car in evening from fisherman's wharf. second day go to academy of sciences by cab --have lunch 9th and irving (2 blocks away) and then take the J-church back downtown. or hit lombard street if you must. for the second day.

the sub is right at fisherman's wharf. skip lombard street--really--a waste of time. start at fisherman's wharf--skip the stuff at pier 39. walk past the fishing fleet and go to lower ft mason and catch the 28 bus, stop at exploritorium on the way. then to gg bridge. sign up for late alcatraz tour. there is one day. or even less.

take the cable car in evening from fisherman's wharf. second day go to academy of sciences by cab --have lunch 9th and irving (2 blocks away) and then take the J-church back downtown. or hit lombard street if you must. for the second day.

Thank you so much - that really helps put it in perspective! I appreciate the comments on Lombard Street. Is there anything else you would skip or add? It is so hard to know. Thanks again. I love these boards.

I would map out the big places and then take some notes with you. you may get too tired to do much else. you should take time to just enjoy the city...

think of the city in zones--the northern waterfront, downtown, gg park..and then if you find more time, do something nearby--like walk through chinatown or take the bus cross the city or go to zeum in late afternoon, then follow up with a few lanes of bowling (next door) or by the park walk through the Haight to Amoeba records and browse...

have a good map with you and have some definite destinations. maybe there will be protest or parade when you are here and all plans will go out the window...

Thanks again for your quick replies. I guess my fear was that we would be running around so much that we would miss really appreciating the city and wasn't sure if there was something else we should do to "enjoy the city". Would you just ride the cable cars to see and enjoy it or just walk around? Of course, we are not coming until September, but I am planning like it is next week. You can tell I am excited!!

well, cable cars are part of the sf experience. there are two from the north end--and you can also catch one at the embarcadero at the hyatt.

I have lived in town 25 yrs and ridden them twice...

it probably is worth trying to do...but catch them not at powell and market...

sept is our best weather--bring jacket

Is there anything else you would skip or add?
I would skip Alcatraz and the Pampanito sub. Nothing much in Japantown. Fisherman's Warf is just tourist junk; don't waste your time there. Don't miss the Academy of Sciences.

Rick

If you want to see and do a lot without crowds you can rent bikes at pier 39 and go all the way by the waterfront thru ft. mason coming up on marina dr and the marina green and down to chrissy field where the exploratorium and the palace of fine arts is right across the street and another mile or so is ft. point, which is really cool, at the bottm of the ggb, with bike paths up to the bridge as well. all at your own pace. It is mostly flat with a little hil up to ft. mason in the park and a hill going up to ggb, my 6 year old daughter rides her bike there when my 9 yo girl, mom and I inline skate. round trip from pier 39 is about 6-7 miles. Here is link we use for skating but it works good for bikes to.

http://www.caskating.com/tour/58

Archived