Regular Door Width?

mechcc

My husband now has a scooter but doesn't really need a handicap room and while we could probably get one, we do not want to take one from someone who really does need one. He can walk around a room but to go from the bow to the stern is out of the question. So how wide are the doors on a regular cabin? No particular line, as we cruise different lines - we just need an average door width and if a regular scooter will fit through it.

Also - will the lines take a scooter on a tender if the person can get off the scooter and on to the tender without the scooter?

Thank you everyone!

Other than certain travel scooters NO regular cabin door is wide enough for a standard scooter. they are generally between 22 and 24 " wide not counting hinges and some suites are 26"

Royal Caribbean I have heard will usually take scooters on tenders, though it ALWAYS depends on the conditions and final say is with the Captain. Other lines are spotty at best sometimes they do sometimes they don't, there can be issues at the other end of the tendering as well even if the sea is calm at the ship.

Thank you. I just measured his scooter and it is 22 inches at the widest and that is the seat which is easily removed. As I previously stated, we don't feel that we should really take a handicap cabin so we will book regular rooms and hope for the best.

As for tendering - we will skip the tender ports, plan on limited walking, or rent wheelchairs in advance.

Thank you for your help.

If he has limited mobility, he needs a HC cabin. Why are you so reluctant to get one? The amenities in one -- hand rails, grab bars, no steps in and out of the bathroom, will make his life much easier on board, not to mention having enough space in the cabin so you and he don't have to climb over and around his scooter. You don't need to be "confined" to a wheelchair to need an HC cabin. You'll spend way too much time trying to maneuver around it, taking it apart to get it through the door, etc.

As for wheelchairs...if yo don't rent one NOW, you won't have one to use when you might need it. Usually the cruise line has a few wheelchairs, but they're only for use for emergencies, or for helping peopl get on/off the ship. If your husband needs one for an excursion, he'd need to be renting or using his own.

We have a GoGo and there are very few regular cabin doors through which it will fit. And even if you are fortunate enough to find a ship which has doors through which a GoGo will fit, there is very little space in a regular cabin to turn it around. Also we have found on our 2 previous RCCL cruises that they would NOT take scooters on the tender. It may have been the particular port, weather conditions or even the pier ashore that precluded them permitting scooters on tenders - dont really know

I have a Pride GoGo Elite Traveler and it did fit through the door of a regular mini on our last cruise. I had to go straight in, and not at any kind of an angle, and cleared by only about 1/4 inch, but it went. There was room to store and charge it in a mini, but the bad thing is that I could not step over the edge of the bath tub without much pain. Even stepping up into the bath was a hardship. It was definitely my fault that we did this. We tried this as the mini was only a few dollars more than a regular handicapped cabin. Some of the newer ships have h/c minis, but not all. We will stick with regular H/C cabins from now on...........much easier through the door, and into the bath with no lip.:)

By the way, one of the Pride GoGo Travelers has a weight limit of 300 lbs........not sure which one, but you can check with your supplier or on the website.

Archived