Baltic on the Emerald Princess

caribill

West Cost Cruizers:

here's the information on the stops for the two HO/HOs we used in case you want to plan their usage.

Stockholm (web site http://www.sightseeing.se - then go to Stockholm and click on the British flag to show the page in English). The ferry HO/HO boats stop at:

A. Nybroplan

B. Vasa Museum - seeing this recovered warship is definitely worth doing.

C. Skeppsholmen - museum of modern art and far Eastern Antiquities

D. Tivoli Grona Lund (free entrance is included in the adult ticket for HO/HO)

E. Cruise Berth/Viking Line

F. Stadsgarden 158-160

G. Old Town

H. The Royal Palace - definitely try to see the changing of the guard. The band and guards ride in on horseback - makes for great pictures.

Price is 100 kr per adult.

Oslo HO/HO (website http://www.citysightseeing.no) - this website is in English and shows the route and stops. Some of the stops include: stop 9 is at the Royal Castle and the Ibsen museum. Stop 12 is the Vigeland Sculpture Park. Stop 14 or 16 is the Viking Ship Museum. Adult tickets are $33, children (ages 5 -15) are $15 each or a family ticket is $90.

For other HO/HO locations, try their official site (http://www.city-sightseeing.com) and go to the country or city you are interested in.

Caribill, thanks for all the info. We leave June 15th for this cruise. We have signed up with Princess to do almost 2 excursions in every port. Morning and afternoon with only an hour inbetween times. Have we cut it too close? Will be able to make both and does Princess wait if folks return late from a morning excursion?

We signed up for the Hidden Scenes Walking Tour in SP. Is anyone familiar with it and is it worthwhile?

Carbill,I'm still stuck on the currency info. We've never had an atm card, but will probably need one to pay for lunches and tips in St P. We're on a custom Denrus tour, and they said

the guide will help us with them. My question: I've always heard nonUS atms have a

different pin number system, either more numbers or fewer, I don't know. I also heard

VisaPlus atm machines will take US atm cards anywhere. Do you remember seeing Visa

Plus atms on your St P tour? Like around the Hermitage, etc?

I have been on tours in various spots in the world where people with us had no access

to any form of acceptable currency, and we all chipped in to pay for their lunch. I would

hate to do that, but would grovel if necessary for my lunch. I would rather be able to

get the money out of a machine.

I'm making a big thing out of this, I know, but I like to have as many t's crossed and

i's dotted beforehand as possible.

Thanks, Mimi

Can anybody explain how wireless service works on the ship?

The mechanics of using the internet on a machine in the Internet Café and on your own laptop are almost totally identical.

This is true for costs, for initial signing in and purchase of any package, and for signing in once you have set up your account.

The only difference is that when using the wireless method, you MUST logout by typing 1.1.1.1 in the address bar and pressing enter. Then it will sign out the same as if you clicked on "logoff" in the Café. Failing to do this will mean your minutes will still be counting away.

Hotspots are listed as being in the Atrium on decks 5,6,7 and in public areas on decks 15,17,18. I also found a signal in the Princess Theater, but not in Club Fusion. Some cabins have good signals, some do not.

Edited by caribill

We have signed up with Princess to do almost 2 excursions in every port. Morning and afternoon with only an hour inbetween times. Have we cut it too close? Will be able to make both and does Princess wait if folks return late from a morning excursion?

We signed up for the Hidden Scenes Walking Tour in SP. Is anyone familiar with it and is it worthwhile?

Meeting times are usually scheduled for 15 minutes before the tour time and many people actually go to the meeting place 15 minutes earlier than that.

An hour inbetween does cut it close. I doubt they will wait for folks returning late from a morning excursion as I do not think they even keep track of that information.

In many cases, the afternoon excursions will meet on shore, not on the ship.

If many morning tours are returning at the same time, the security line to get back onto the ship may be long.

Suggestions:

a) Check early in the cruise with the shore excursion desk to see if they have any concerns

b) Realize that in some cases you may have to get off the bus from one excursion and try to find the bus for the next one without a chance to get back on board inbetween.

c) If you have two the same day in St.Petersburg, you may need to find the PM tour bus instead of waiting in the emigration line to get back to the ship to meet on board.

I am not familiar with the walking tour you are asking about, so I cannot answer that question. It does sound interesting.

Carbill,I'm still stuck on the currency info. We've never had an atm card, but will probably need one to pay for lunches and tips in St P. We're on a custom Denrus tour, and they said

the guide will help us with them. My question: I've always heard nonUS atms have a

different pin number system, either more numbers or fewer, I don't know. I also heard

VisaPlus atm machines will take US atm cards anywhere. Do you remember seeing Visa

Plus atms on your St P tour? Like around the Hermitage, etc?

I have been on tours in various spots in the world where people with us had no access

to any form of acceptable currency, and we all chipped in to pay for their lunch. I would

hate to do that, but would grovel if necessary for my lunch. I would rather be able to

get the money out of a machine.

I'm making a big thing out of this, I know, but I like to have as many t's crossed and

i's dotted beforehand as possible.

Thanks, Mimi

We used an ATM card to get local currancy, but used a CapitalOne Visa credit card (no fees) for purchases without any problem in St.Petersburg and other countries.

Can't say it would not happen, but we had no problems with our US credit card card that has no built in chip and does not require a code to make a purchase.

Also, most of the non-Euro countries were willing to accept Euros and in some cases US $ for purchases that were in a market place or too small for the minimum they want for a charge. Just have a calculator with you so you can make sure you get a reasonable exchange rate.

With your cruise so soon, it is probably too late to get an ATM card. One advantage of an ATM card is that it can be used in ticket machines that are, for example in train stations, to buy a ticket and which require a code.

As far as ATM codes being different, I think the warning is that foreign ATMs are only set up for a four digit ATM code, so if you use a code with more digits in the USA, better get that changed to a four digit code.

Do not forget to call the phone number on the back of any cards you will be using (ATM, credit) to let them know you will be using the cards out of country. Otherwise, you may find the transaction blocked.

Edited by caribill

Thank you, thank you!!!

We will cancel the tour with Princess and will do it on our own. I think it's the most practical way to do it because it includes transportation and free entry to most of the attractions.

I have bought my Copenhagen card which will come in the mail.

I am planning to buy Stockhom card, Helsinki card and Norway card on line.

However, I have to pay 12 euro by mail for each country or pick up at tourist office.

The Stockholm Tourist Office is located on the corner of Kungsträdgården, just opposite the NK department store. Do you have any idea how far it is from the port?

Helsinki Expert, Tour Shop at the Helsinki City Tourist & Convention Bureau Pohjoisesplanadi 19 FIN-00100 Helsinki

Tourist information offices in Oslo; one by the Central Station (open 365 days a year), one by City Hall (open all year) and one at the cruise ship terminal (open when cruise ships call).

Do you know if there are tourist offices next to the port except for Oslo (which has one)? Since we only have 8 hours in the port, I don't want to waste our time figuring out where the tourist offices are just to pick up the card.

West Coast Cruizers

West Cost Cruizers:

here's the information on the stops for the two HO/HOs we used in case you want to plan their usage.

Stockholm (web site www.sightseeing.se - then go to Stockholm and click on the British flag to show the page in English). The ferry HO/HO boats stop at:

A. Nybroplan

B. Vasa Museum - seeing this recovered warship is definitely worth doing.

C. Skeppsholmen - museum of modern art and far Eastern Antiquities

D. Tivoli Grona Lund (free entrance is included in the adult ticket for HO/HO)

E. Cruise Berth/Viking Line

F. Stadsgarden 158-160

G. Old Town

H. The Royal Palace - definitely try to see the changing of the guard. The band and guards ride in on horseback - makes for great pictures.

Price is 100 kr per adult.

Oslo HO/HO (website www.citysightseeing.no) - this website is in English and shows the route and stops. Some of the stops include: stop 9 is at the Royal Castle and the Ibsen museum. Stop 12 is the Vigeland Sculpture Park. Stop 14 or 16 is the Viking Ship Museum. Adult tickets are $33, children (ages 5 -15) are $15 each or a family ticket is $90.

For other HO/HO locations, try their official site (http://www.city-sightseeing.com) and go to the country or city you are interested in.

Thank you, thank you!!!

I am planning to buy Stockhom card, Helsinki card and Norway card on line.

However, I have to pay 12 euro by mail for each country or pick up at tourist office. I think we only paid about 5 Euros for the Stockholm card mailing.

The Stockholm Tourist Office is located on the corner of Kungsträdgården, just opposite the NK department store. Do you have any idea how far it is from the port? My guess is about 3 miles. Ship has a shuttle to near there for 5 Euros or $7 per person. Better to pay the postage to have the cards mailed to you and not spend your limited time paying to go to pick them up. Be sure to ask for the free guide to the card that comes with the card.

See above in Red

Edited by caribill

Thanks for all of your great feedback. Just to be certain, are you saying that all of the ports accept euros? So, if someone wants to be a little prepared, taxi's and buses will accept euros?

Thanks for all of your great feedback. Just to be certain, are you saying that all of the ports accept euros? So, if someone wants to be a little prepared, taxi's and buses will accept euros?

In some countries, taxis will accept a credit card.

From post #14

However, if you use public transportation (bus, tram, subway) in any port, you will need to have local currency/coins unless you have a card that includes such transportation. Some ports have transportation ticket machines which will accept credit cards, but don't always count on that being true.

In Poland, Princess does not offer a shuttle service to Gdansk. However, there are several taxis available just off of the gangway that you can hire either to drive you to Gdansk or take you around the area on a private tour.

This is another Princess option in Gdansk for $34 per person:

GDANSK ON YOUR OWN

Drive the main road to Gdansk, where you disembark at a drop-off point close to the major landmarks. Explore the day as you please and have lunch on your own. The excursion is non-guided and does not include entrance fees. City maps are provided for your convenience.

In most of the other ports, you can catch a Princess shuttle into downtown for $5 or $6 each way.

How do these shuttles work? Do you need to make a reservation in advance on board the ship or do you just disembark, board the shuttle and pay the driver?

Thanks,

In most of the other ports, you can catch a Princess shuttle into downtown for $5 or $6 each way.

How do these shuttles work? Do you need to make a reservation in advance on board the ship or do you just disembark, board the shuttle and pay the driver?

Yes, usually just pay when you board. In some cases you can buy on the ship in advance, but no need to. In some cases they may charge it to your cabin. The Patter will let you know. No reservation needed.

The only difference is that when using the wireless method, you MUST logout by typing 1.1.1.1 in the address bar and pressing enter. Then it will sign out the same as if you clicked on "logoff" in the Café. Failing to do this will mean your minutes will still be counting away.

It's a very good idea to keep your computer's internet connection in the OFF position when not accessing the internet. In our case, it's a little slide bar that either allows or turns off internet. Putting that switch in the OFF position also disconnects from Princess. There were people on our last cruises who didn't hit the 1.1.1.1 correctly and weren't disconnected. They ended up with huge internet bills (that were corrected by Princess).

Interesting stuff about the internet.

I'm hoping beyond hope that cabin D332 will have reception in the room, but I kind of doubt it.

Does anyone know if you can use more than one of your own computers with the same internet account on-board?

Husband and I each have our own and will be bringing both (yes, we're geeks). We'll both want to be logging on from time to time.

Does anyone know if you can use more than one of your own computers with the same internet account on-board?

Yes, but not at the same time. You log on with your assigned account name (a combination of your name and cabin number) and your password. The system does not care which computer this is done from.

To the family with kids, we're a family with 2 kids too, only mine are older than yours, 14 and 12. Here's some of what we did, so you can check if it works for you.

Stockholm - Took the HOHO ferry. There are 2 companies and their reps are right there at the dock. It was pretty easy to buy tickets from them. The boats were only a few meters away. Cost was 100KRR for adults, 50 for kids. We went over to Old Town then walked to the Royal Palace. Changing of the guards was great especially for kids. They liked the big horses and the band. Took the ferry to Vasa Museum. Entrance ticket cost was 95 for adults, kids were free, so you really save a lot over cruise tours.

Helsinki - went with HOHO buses ($34 for adults, 20euro for kids, yes, used 2 diff currencies to pay since I didn’t have enough) but if I can do a do-over, I'd probably use the shuttle service to town.

St. Petersburg – went with Denrus. The tour can get pretty tiring. My 12-year-old was practically sleeping through Hermitage.

Tallinn - walked on our own. The town is quite near to the dock.

Gdansk - used Princess gdansk on your own tour ($34 for adults, $24 for kids) and just walked around town ourselves. Just took it easy, kids got the tall soft-serve type ice cream and loved it.

Oslo - the HOHO takes a long circuitous route. It's easier to take the tram #12 to Vigeland and back, then take the ferry to Viking Ship museum. There is a 10-15 min uphill walk to the museum We bought the dagskort ticket which is good for all public transport for the day. Around $10 for adults, $5 for kids. You can get the tickets right at the tourist shop as you get off the ship. Viking Ship entrance : Family of 4 ticket was 125NOR, cheaper than getting 2 adults at 50 and kids at 30. So total cost for family of 4: around $50.

Hope this helps!

Hi,

Thank you for the feedback. I actually booked exactly what you did before I even read your post. I have already booked local tours/HOHO on line and I'ts amazing how much you can save compared to Princess.

How early can we get off the ship in each port? Most of the local tours starts at 10/10:30 and if there is a good travel time, I wonder if we can make it in the middle of the town?

Did you get to see a lot from the HOHO? My kids are much younger but they always seem to enjoy the HOHO everytime we travel.

Thanks again.

To the family with kids, we're a family with 2 kids too, only mine are older than yours, 14 and 12. Here's some of what we did, so you can check if it works for you.

Stockholm - Took the HOHO ferry. There are 2 companies and their reps are right there at the dock. It was pretty easy to buy tickets from them. The boats were only a few meters away. Cost was 100KRR for adults, 50 for kids. We went over to Old Town then walked to the Royal Palace. Changing of the guards was great especially for kids. They liked the big horses and the band. Took the ferry to Vasa Museum. Entrance ticket cost was 95 for adults, kids were free, so you really save a lot over cruise tours.

Helsinki - went with HOHO buses ($34 for adults, 20euro for kids, yes, used 2 diff currencies to pay since I didn’t have enough) but if I can do a do-over, I'd probably use the shuttle service to town.

St. Petersburg – went with Denrus. The tour can get pretty tiring. My 12-year-old was practically sleeping through Hermitage.

Tallinn - walked on our own. The town is quite near to the dock.

Gdansk - used Princess gdansk on your own tour ($34 for adults, $24 for kids) and just walked around town ourselves. Just took it easy, kids got the tall soft-serve type ice cream and loved it.

Oslo - the HOHO takes a long circuitous route. It's easier to take the tram #12 to Vigeland and back, then take the ferry to Viking Ship museum. There is a 10-15 min uphill walk to the museum We bought the dagskort ticket which is good for all public transport for the day. Around $10 for adults, $5 for kids. You can get the tickets right at the tourist shop as you get off the ship. Viking Ship entrance : Family of 4 ticket was 125NOR, cheaper than getting 2 adults at 50 and kids at 30. So total cost for family of 4: around $50.

Hope this helps!

Hi,

How early can we get off the ship in each port? Most of the local tours starts at 10/10:30 and if there is a good travel time, I wonder if we can make it in the middle of the town?

Unless there is a problem with immigration authorities, in most ports passengers are allowed to disembark about 20 minutes after arrival at the dock. It takes that long for both the paperwork to be taken care of and to set up the disembarkation equipment on the dock.

I Gdansk, we are going on a tour with Tours in Poland on 22 July off the Emerald Princess. Our tour is to Stutthoff Concentration Camp and the Malbork Castle and it for 6 of us. They told me it cost 650 EURO's. Has anyone else booked with this compay or what kind of price are the other tour companies charging?

I Gdansk, we are going on a tour with Tours in Poland on 22 July off the Emerald Princess. Our tour is to Stutthoff Concentration Camp and the Malbork Castle and it for 6 of us. They told me it cost 650 EURO's. Has anyone else booked with this compay or what kind of price are the other tour companies charging?

I don't know about that company but from what I have discovered if you are doing both Stutthoff & Malbork you will spend very little time at them - most of the time will be traveling.

I don't know about that company but from what I have discovered if you are doing both Stutthoff & Malbork you will spend very little time at them - most of the time will be traveling.

Well, the plan is to spend about 1 and a half hours at each. We are traveling more than seeing, but it was the only way to see both.

In Poland, you can also arrange for a taxi at the pier or in advance. Our party of 4 hired the driver for the day (we spent about 8.5 hrs) and it cost us $250 US. We went to the Stutthoff Concentration Camp and Gdansk.

There were also larger taxis available that would hold six (not sure on their pricing).

If we're flying from the US to Copenhagen, where will we be able to get Euros to use for the rest of the trip? Where will be the first ATM to give us Euros? Should we get some from a bank here before we leave?

I've never had any trouble using my debit card else where in Europe to get local currency, and wouldn't expect any problems in the Baltic. Thanks for all the good information.