Taxis from Livorno

Does anyone know if the taxis at the dock can take 5 people? Are they cars or vans?

I'm also looking for the approx cost of a taxi to Pisa from the ship, we were going to get the train/buses but now that we have discovered that Royal Carribean are charging about $65(5 passengers) for the shuttle we think it may be around the same cost to get a taxi.

Thanks

Does anyone know if the taxis at the dock can take 5 people? Are they cars or vans?

I'm also looking for the approx cost of a taxi to Pisa from the ship, we were going to get the train/buses but now that we have discovered that Royal Carribean are charging about $65(5 passengers) for the shuttle we think it may be around the same cost to get a taxi.

Thanks

Take a taxi from the ship to the Livorno Centrale station and the train from there. Figure €5,00 per person each way on the taxi.

I hope someone can clarify this as well.

I have read a recent where you must take the bus just down the pier to start of city... around 12 E. Then a mile walk to catch a bus station to train station? (saw an old post where it was 1E for bus down peir... big difference!)

I have read where the only taxi's on the pier are prereserved. Can you prereserve 5E taxi from ship to train station without the need for the bus down the pier?

Anyone with recent experience comment?

Can someone recommend a driver?

When we arrived in Livorno on a cruise, we simply took a taxi to the train station and took the train to Florence (it also stops in Pisa). Very, very easy to do and there are many threads on this forum discussing in great detail how to do this.

Don't pay those outrageous ship prices!

Have you read this thread, which is still on the front page of this forum?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=996835

We were in Livorno on 5/20/09, and there were plenty of taxis waiting at the pier. Various sizes-- if the first one in line isn't big enough for you, go on down the line explaining that you have 5 people. The first one in line when we were there could have accommodated 6.

We were the second couple off the ship. The first two were meeting relatives. The taxi driver quoted a flat 20 euros to the train station. We told him we would wait for another couple to share. Took about 2 minutes before another couple came along, so the price was 5 euro per person. We probably could have waited longer and picked up another couple, but the taxi driver was anxious to move and I didn't want to keep him waiting.

Thanks for all the info.

CoralReef glad to hear some taxis will take 5.

Looks like a taxi to Livorno train station will cost 50e return

Train and bus tickets to the tower will be about 35e return

I think if a taxi is around 50-60e each way we will go with that, compared with using 3 different modes of transport to save a few euros each.

Thanks again

Kirsty

Thanks

the taxis are 8 seater,charge 20 euros from the ship,

Some ask for 5 Euros / person,but the controller said 20 total / van

just visited 21 May 09.

train to Pisa was only 2.5 Euros

Main train station is Livorno Centrale. Take bus number 1 to go to town center and then to the port in about 20 minutes.

Bus number 1 is a shuttle from train station to the port and vice-versa. Ticket for one hour of travel is 1,00 Euros, daily ticket is 3,20 Euros. For self-reliant cruise passengers, this is part of the most economical way to reach trains to Pisa and Florence. See http://www.atl.livorno.it/tiposerv.htm

Main train station is Livorno Centrale. Take bus number 1 to go to town center and then to the port in about 20 minutes.

Bus number 1 is a shuttle from train station to the port and vice-versa. Ticket for one hour of travel is 1,00 Euros, daily ticket is 3,20 Euros. For self-reliant cruise passengers, this is part of the most economical way to reach trains to Pisa and Florence. See http://www.atl.livorno.it/tiposerv.htm[/QU

Only if your ship has free shuttle service to Livorno central piazza

RCCL charge $12 return from ship to Central Livorno,then u have to get a no 1 bus.

my experience,negotiate taxi from the ship straight to station,

same on return,ask fellow cruisers off the train,at the station, to share a taxi back to the ship

Port authority do not like u to walk from the pier to the entrance ,which could take 20 mins

I am really confused on this one. Some say you HAVE to take the shuttle at the extortionate rate, others say taxis are waiting. Is this waiting on the pier or waiting at the entrance to docks. Can we avoid paying for their shuttle? We are on IOS 24th July and don't want to waste more money than I have to!!!!

I am really confused on this one. Some say you HAVE to take the shuttle at the extortionate rate, others say taxis are waiting. Is this waiting on the pier or waiting at the entrance to docks. Can we avoid paying for their shuttle? We are on IOS 24th July and don't want to waste more money than I have to!!!!

Taxis were definitely waiting at the pier on our cruise two years ago. Here is what we did: we went and stood near the exit on the ship BEFORE any calls were made for letting folks off. We started talking to other people waiting who also wanted to take a taxi from the port to the train station. Eight of us joined together and when they let us off we went immediately to the taxi drivers and negotiated. Ended up being able to get a taxi for all 8 of us for €20 and just split the cost + a tip. After returning on the train in the afternoon we caught the #1 bus waiting right by the train station exit to the main square in Livorno (it was €1 or a bit more), where again we were able to negotiate a taxi ride with other folks back to the ship. Can't remember the price that time, but it was very reasonable and we had a SUPER day visiting both Florence and then Pisa on the way back.

may 19/09

taxis are stationed 100yds from the ship ,(outside a barrier), these cabs are new ,mostly 8 seater, fare is 5 eros/person or 20 /cab to station.

reason for the barrier is that they park the ships buses & vans ,hire cars athe gangway exit.

there are no taxis at the gate, authority do not like you walking the 15/20 mins to the gate.

I get what everybody is saying about the train - I have done both the transfer+bus+train AND taxi+train options. I have also been to both Pisa AND Florence. Has anybody taken a taxi directly from the port to Pisa??? Due to circumstances the train is not an option for us this year and I was hoping somebody could give an indication of cost of a taxi directly to Pisa. ANYBODY??

I get what everybody is saying about the train - I have done both the transfer+bus+train AND taxi+train options. I have also been to both Pisa AND Florence. Has anybody taken a taxi directly from the port to Pisa??? Due to circumstances the train is not an option for us this year and I was hoping somebody could give an indication of cost of a taxi directly to Pisa. ANYBODY??

MAY 09/Taxis where asking 75 euros return from pier to Pisa

Hi, I was in Livorno a couple of weeks ago. Next to our shuttle bus there were about 4 large taxi/vans available and in front of them they had a board showing prices to Pisa or Florence. They were quoting fares for up to 12 people but sorry I can't remember how much,I think Pisa was quoted as 20 Euro's PP for 6 people but I can't be certain.

How far / how long is the ride from Pier to Pisa or Florence?

Depends on mode of travel.

Train to Pisa is about 15 min from Livorno station. Train to Florence from Livorno station is 1hr 15min.

Taxi to Pisa is about 25 min from Pier. Taxi to Florence from Pier is about 1hr 30min.

Archived