Drive to Skagway to Emerald Lake - Where to Eat

shellgoodman

Just before you get to Emerald Lake is Spirit Lake Resort. They have wonderful homemade soups, sandwiches and pies.

2777050410095841410S425x425Q85.jpg

We did the same drive. Didn't stop at Spirit Lake Resort, should have. There are no other eating places we saw. Nothing in Carcross or along the way.

There are 4 places at/near Carcross, all right on the highway, listed in my usual order of choice:

- Cinnamon Cache - soup, sandwiches and pastries

- Caribou Crossing - chicken barbecue

- Spirit Lake Lodge - soup, sandwiches and pastries

- Montana Services (cafe at the gas station) - burgers, sandwiches, etc

also a couple of ice cream places.

- Cinnamon Cache - soup, sandwiches and pastries

The cinnamon rolls we purchased this year were delicious! After taking my first bite on the way back toward Skagway I was wishing I had purchased some to take back onboard... even with all that ship food readily available.

DH was driving, and I will say he didn't think the business was open as there is an old chair and other discarded items around the building making it appear a bit deserted. I insisted he let me out to go to the door and check (no other cars were there) and sure enough they were open, and the inside is very nice and cheerful.

A few years ago we stopped in, too, and the sandwiches were good, but rolls we not. I think the owner (Bobo?) was ill at that time. This year the rolls were exceptionally yummy, and the sandwich was also pretty good. I'm glad it's been reopened. :)

Did both - cause apparently eating BEFORE you saddle/paddle requires more food AFTER!!!

At Spirit Lake they have really delicious homemade soup. Sandwiches were of the deli variety except on homemade bread. Pies and pastries were incredible. They also made our DD's SO panakins(sp) which we shared around the table. And several had to have the huge homemade cookies 'cause pie wasnt enough!

We also stopped at Cinabun several hours later and smapled several of the rolls - very good - especially warmed with the frosting and one of the boys had a sandwich. Rolls YUM - sandwich - typical fare.

For lunch I would choose Spirit Lake - for rolls - Cinnabun - for a bit of sweet and lunch Spirit Lake....

And save room for the great ice cream in Carcross.....

Remember the cruise food rules - must eat EVERY 2 hours!!!:)

Archived