Do you cruise during School Breaks?

Do you cruise during school breaks?  

230 members have voted

1. 1. Do you cruise during school breaks?

• No way - too many children and college kids!
    • Only if the price is really good/preferred cabin is available
    • Sure - you can barely notice the kids on board a huge ship
    • I have no choice - I cruise with my kids

Maybe I was just the lucky one, getting a cheap fare during "spring break" season. I sailed last March on Liberty OTS and my fare was just over $600 inc. taxes for a Promenade room.

I am a young professional, (not a spring breaker) and while there were quite a few little ones around during the cruise- they usually hung out at the H2O zone and the flow rider during the day- and they certainly weren't bugging us at the solarium or bars around the ship! I only saw one group of people who were clearly on a college spring break, and they weren't bothering anyone- just out there to have a good time just like everyone else.

Maybe it was just an isolated experience for me having a wonderful experience during a "spring break" cruise!

Lol - yeah, some people yelled "Thank God" afterward....I will admit I was thrilled that she stopped:o

I grew up in the 'children are to be seen and not heard' era so there is no way my parents would have just let this happen.

I hope the parents understood the "Thank God" comments. Some people are pretty thick. Just because you are used to the screaming of your child does not make it ok!

Have done this twice in the past. Once on the Brillance Panama Canal cruise, which seems to attract an older crowd so although there were kids onboard you really didn't notice too much. Then again on the Mariner during Spring Break. That was the one that made me say never again. Too many kids and too many parents who book separate cabins and let their kids on their own all week.

But to the one poster, I am definetly on the sports deck and on the rock wall and I'll be on the flowrider! Not sure why you don't equate those with active twenty and thirty year olds? I like to drink and gamble, too, but I love sports and activity:)

Oh no, I wasn't saying that at all. What I mean is, that may well be the reason we didn't see a lot of kids running around, because we were not in that location and lots of kids may have been out there. The areas we WERE in didn't have kiddo's running around.

I'm curious as to when cruising became a spring break activity.

My first four cruises were all either in March or April, the heart of spring break time. They were all in the Caribbean, all seven nights and were in '92, '94, '96 & '98. Not one seemed to have a large amount of people under 25. In '92 I was 26 so I probably would've noticed.

Is this a fairly new spring break activity?

My last four cruises were all during President's Day Week (GRRRRRRRRRRR) because I've been cruising with a friend who's a teacher. Lots of families and kids that week!

Its not so much that I cruise with my child but spring break is the time I have off. I work for the school district.

I really can't wait to retire so I can cruise when the prices are cheaper.

Denise

I do not cruise during school breaks, but not because of the kids. As the above poster states the rates are usually higher during school breaks, so I look for the "bargain" prices!

That's what we do....my husband is a teacher, so it would be better for him (in terms of taking time off) to cruise during spring break. However, he and I would rather use the vacation days during non-peak season and save hundreds of dollars compared to the March/April prices.

No kids yet, but my fiance works in schools (paraeducator this year, maybe promoted to teacher next year); so we're stuck to the school breaks and the prices that go with them.

Our first cruise was during spring break (Easter week), and the ship was all families. We didn't mind the kids, but I did remember the dance club being empty when we went after 10pm when the teens got thrown out. Is this normal for school break weeks? Are summer sailings like this too?

On a related note, it would be nice if every school district had one week off near no holidays or other traditional breaks each year. Millions more families could afford cruises and vacations by being able to go when off-season rates are in effect, and with the weeks off staggered by district, ships would have a few kids but would never be overwhelmed.

Our kids have a week long break at the end of October, we have cruised this week several times and find it is not a busy time at all. I don't think alot of other kids are off during this time.

Now summer, easter or christmas break forget it, we won't try it then.

Bev

I would have normally said no way but our last cruise was on the Liberty of the Seas during Thanksgiving break. There were 1,000 children on board (according to the Captain's announcement) and we did not see that many or hear of any incidents. Overall, I was very impressed.

Ron

We went on the Carnival Inspiration during spring break in 2004. My kids had the time of their lives, so my vacation overall was enjoyable. The downside was that there were 800 kids on board and the pool area was very crowded, so I never went into the pool. As a teacher, I have to cruise during school breaks, but I would very much like the opportunity to cruise while school is in session.

I'm curious as to when cruising became a spring break activity.

My first four cruises were all either in March or April, the heart of spring break time. They were all in the Caribbean, all seven nights and were in '92, '94, '96 & '98. Not one seemed to have a large amount of people under 25. In '92 I was 26 so I probably would've noticed.

Is this a fairly new spring break activity?

My last four cruises were all during President's Day Week (GRRRRRRRRRRR) because I've been cruising with a friend who's a teacher. Lots of families and kids that week!

We started cruising over spring break when our kids started getting summer jobs. They weren't able to take time off during the summer. Also, as an added bonus, if they are with us over spring break, they aren't off somewhere doing who knows what.

If we don't take the kids, we go when school is in session, primarily because the prices are lower.

We've never had a problem with kids on board. We've seen some pretty unruly adults though.

We always cruise during summer when school is out. Have not done Spring Break though. The kids don't bother me! I'm a teacher and have to cruise when school is out. I like kids. I even have two of my own.

I would love to cruise at other times during the year for the lower prices!!

I voted for no-due to college age, and school aged kids running around.

Its more the drunken college kids that i would be worried about. There is pleny of things to do for the school aged kids.

It only take a couple of drunk college kids to ruin it for the rest of that age group.

I'm from the U.K. Our DS school term begins 3rd September. When do the kids go back to school stateside? I assume its different for us.

It is frowned upon taking time off, and he will only loose a few days at the start of term, but hey, he is 5 yrs old, leaps and bounds ahead of his peers in most subjects, and If the school teachers could guarentee that they would be teaching math & english in that first week instead of slumming around watching D.V.Ds (Kind of a settling in period) I would consider making arrangements within the school break.

I just have one question about all this talk about spring break cruises. I'm a college student myself and our spring break this year was mid March. I had friends at other universities who had break either the week before or the week after me. My brother, who's in high school, didn't have his break until April (week of Easter). So when we're talking about spring break, which week exactly is that? Or is it the entire month of March/April?

As an educator I have no choice but to vacation during school breaks. If I am not traveling with my own young adults and don't want to sail on a "family" line I book on Celebrity. No problem.

However, I did sail on Celebrity last December and my husband thought we were on the movie set for Cocoon. :eek:

Give me kids any day!:)

Archived