Denali pretour

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
We will be joining you on the Denali pre-tour. Flying in from South Florida as well. This is our fourth Regent cruise. Each one has been fantastic.

so are you leaving on the 15th of August too? If so, are you near Delray Beach? Maybe we can all go together to the airport and back?

Hi Ira. (saw your name in the other roll call thread). We live in Plantation and will be flying out of Fort Lauderdale to Atlanta. Taking the 2:30 Delta flight from Atlanta. How about you?

glad to see your response. We are flying out of Miami 11:23am to Houston, then onto Anchorage arriving around 7:00pm. This is all on the 15th. Judy and I are staying at the Hilton that night, and looking forward to the Denali tour.

Ira

Union Girl,

Are you guys also going on the Regent cruise that sails on August 19. If so there is a thread to get on on this board. So far there are 8 couples and we are meeting in the coffee connection on August 20 after the drill.

Also there are clues as to everyone's apperance.

Kandy and Ron from Texas

Neil and I (Adrienne) arrive in Anchorage around 6:00 PM and will be at the Hilton too so we will probably see you there. Now we are just trying to narrow down the packing.

also trying to figure out what to take. between the pretour to Denali and the cruise we almost need all the clothes in our closets and try to squeeze them into a few pcs of luggage! see you soon!

Ira

Hi Kandy. Thanks for the mention of the roll call thread. I know...have been following it a little. Yes, we are on your cruise. Neil and I (Adrienne) would be happy to meet the others at your designated place. Thanks. Happy packing (tough, isn't it?)

so how was the pre tour? :)

Just got home last night (did a few days in Vancouver post cruise, then flew to Newark & drove home yesterday).

Pros:

1. Saw beautiful, once-in-a-lifetime scenery & wildlife.

2. Met some great people, and it was fun running into them again onboard.

3. Got to see Denali - made the 30% club!!

4. Saw some wildlife on the bus tour in Denal NP (tip: bring binoculars!)

5. Hilton Anchorage was accomodating (we came in a day before everyone else)

6. The motor coach buses were comfortable and clean

7. Alaska RR Gold Car was comfy & had great scenery

8. Luggage transfers were seamless

Cons:

1. Just on so many bus tours for so long. Yes, we knew we'd have to do it that way, but it got old at the end.

2. Got so tired of turkey sandwiches eaten on or near the bus (but it was better than the snack box provided in Denali, so eat up!)

3. Thought we'd actually see more wildlife than we did, and in groups. Apparently, we were lucky to see what we did.

4. Why on earth did we have to take a detour around Anchorage when headed toward Alyeska AND stop at a tourist trap when it was already a 6-8 hour busride????

5. Food was mediocre - was expecting that, though.

We're still glad we did the trip, though think it was way overpriced.

Let me know if you have more specific questions . . .

also trying to figure out what to take. between the pretour to Denali and the cruise we almost need all the clothes in our closets and try to squeeze them into a few pcs of luggage! see you soon!

Ira

FWIW, we sent our laundry out twice on the cruise - once the day we boarded, and the following Monday. We still had to pack a lot, b/c we were going to be in Vancouver, but it still helped reduce what we had to pack.

Just got home last night (did a few days in Vancouver post cruise, then flew to Newark & drove home yesterday).

Pros:

1. Saw beautiful, once-in-a-lifetime scenery & wildlife.

2. Met some great people, and it was fun running into them again onboard.

3. Got to see Denali - made the 30% club!!

4. Saw some wildlife on the bus tour in Denal NP (tip: bring binoculars!)

5. Hilton Anchorage was accomodating (we came in a day before everyone else)

6. The motor coach buses were comfortable and clean

7. Alaska RR Gold Car was comfy & had great scenery

8. Luggage transfers were seamless

Cons:

1. Just on so many bus tours for so long. Yes, we knew we'd have to do it that way, but it got old at the end.

2. Got so tired of turkey sandwiches eaten on or near the bus (but it was better than the snack box provided in Denali, so eat up!)

3. Thought we'd actually see more wildlife than we did, and in groups. Apparently, we were lucky to see what we did.

4. Why on earth did we have to take a detour around Anchorage when headed toward Alyeska AND stop at a tourist trap when it was already a 6-8 hour busride????

5. Food was mediocre - was expecting that, though.

We're still glad we did the trip, though think it was way overpriced.

Let me know if you have more specific questions . . .

thanks so much for your response. great critique! sort of expecting what you experienced, so hopefully won't be disappointed. I'll let you know.

thanks so much for your response. great critique! sort of expecting what you experienced, so hopefully won't be disappointed. I'll let you know.

I think if you know going in, your expectations will be set accordingly.

We were fortunate that the weather cooperated - if it rained, we happened to be inside anyway. Had a clear day (obviously) on the day we went to Denali NP.

I think if you get to see Denali, and some varying wildlife, the trip will have been worth it.

Enjoy your trip!

P.S. I just did a review of the 7/22 cruise itself you may want to take a look at as an FYI as well.

I think if you know going in, your expectations will be set accordingly.

We were fortunate that the weather cooperated - if it rained, we happened to be inside anyway. Had a clear day (obviously) on the day we went to Denali NP.

I think if you get to see Denali, and some varying wildlife, the trip will have been worth it.

Enjoy your trip!

P.S. I just did a review of the 7/22 cruise itself you may want to take a look at as an FYI as well.

I just finished reading the review, it was quite helpful in that it is lowering my expectations of Regent! This way I won't be terribly disappointed. I believe the down turn in the economy is affecting all types of business'. However, with all the people looking for jobs, you would think service would get better not worse. We are looking forward to seeing Alaska, to me the cruise is just a bonus!

Once again, thanks for all your input.

I just finished reading the review, it was quite helpful in that it is lowering my expectations of Regent! This way I won't be terribly disappointed. I believe the down turn in the economy is affecting all types of business'. However, with all the people looking for jobs, you would think service would get better not worse. We are looking forward to seeing Alaska, to me the cruise is just a bonus!

Once again, thanks for all your input.

Absolutely, and have a fabulous time!! The scenery is truly breathtaking and well worth seeing.

I'm looking forward to reading your reviews upon your return :D

Archived