Handicap cabins? High toilets?

billroddy

Have never sailed O, only HAL. Old age has presented a problem with toilets and tubs. Does O have high ones and are there shower only cabins?

Bill

The designated handicapped staterooms(4028, 4034, and 4035) do have tubs, however, there is a shower head with a 56" hose attached, which makes it possible to shower outside the tub in a shower chair. The water can drain through the floor. The toilet seat is 20" off the floor and has a handrail located behind it.

Shari

ShariCruz6

And if you are well enough not to need a wheel chair on the ship, you can take a regular cabin, which has shower only, and you don't have to climb over any high barrier. The step-up from the cabin to the washroom is only 6 inches. We can unserstand that some people may have difficulty with high barriers or need a wheel chair for long distances (such as mile long airports), but can otherwise cope with only a cane on the ship itself. Hope this helps.

When I was experiencing more than usual back/hip pain, I e-mailed Oceania prior to coming onboard and requested an egg-crate foam pad on the mattress for this very reason. They e-mailed me back and asked if I would need anything else, eg. adjustment to the toliet and said "no", but I'm sure that they would have supplied a heightening 'ring'. Whatever you may need, e-mail them and they will try to accomodate you as much as possible. They did tell me that if my condition warranted safety concerns, that I would have to provide a letter from my doctor but I was not at any level of needing assistance.

Bathtubs vs showers - this is one of the reasons we have not moved up to PH. They have tubs and stepping over the side is a risk I'm not willing to take with my mild mobility issues, especially while on vacation.

Archived