Is Princess Customer Service Really That Bad

kooljamming

If you go to any of the other large cruise line boards, you will be able to find the same exact thread, with the same complaints...Princess is a very good line, and has always done their best with any complaint we have had

I think they all try their best. If you have seen how people treat the staff on board, you know that it is impossible to make everyone happy. I watched one woman berate a staff member over a cup of coffee that wasn't filled all the way to the brim, and then tell her husband a few minutes later that she had had to make a "suggestion".

Most of the time if people would just LISTEN they would find that they are getting the right answer. But they're so busy ranting that they can't hear facts, and are too immature to accept them.

We also have a problem in this country of accusing people of incompetence when a simple mistake was made, or worse, when we don't get our way. It just looks worse on this board because anyone who tries to speak common sense is driven away by those who call anyone displaying even a smidgen of maturity a cheerleader.

If you go to any of the other large cruise line boards, you will be able to find the same exact thread, with the same complaints. Sure some people have problems on cruises. Some of the problems are resolved quickly and easily and some are not. Anyone who thinks it's only on Princes is fooling themselves. When you're dealing with that many people in a confined space, you'll have problems quite frequently. I'll even bet that the smaller and high end lines have their share of complaints (maybe less, but they have less passengers). Princess is a very good line, and has always done their best with any complaint we have had

Agree 100%!! Why some people just think it's "Princess" is beyond me:confused: I have a few horror stories concerning NCL and Carnival:)

I got great, friendly people calling Princess Customer Service..the PROBLEM is, it was always incorrect information. NOT good when we are talking transfers!

We got good, typical service on board. All the staff was very accomodating, but it was nothing that "wow'd" us. As far as the people at the customer relations desk on board (forget the name of that desk)...they were all business..not a single smile, and you could freeze ice on their behinds...but they did do their job.

When I think of good customer service, I think of friendly, kind, accurate, and prompt attention to details..being made to feel like an important person and not just another number.

Julie

The Stewards probably use this for the bucket ice in the cabins.....:D

Greg

I have my own perspective as a retired travel agent. When I was active in the business,

Princess had the earned reputation as having the worst customer service......before the

cruise. I was the office manager, so heard from my agents as well as my own experience.

I belonged to industry organizations, and that was the general opinion.

On the other hand, Princess also had the rep of having the most enjoyable cruises because

of the service on board.

Bottom line........if you can survive the land side of Princess, you can look forward to

a wonderful cruise experience.

Mimi

I have my own perspective as a retired travel agent. When I was active in the business,

Princess had the earned reputation as having the worst customer service......before the

cruise. I was the office manager, so heard from my agents as well as my own experience.

On the other hand, Princess also had the rep of having the most enjoyable cruises because

of the service on board.

Bottom line........if you can survive the land side of Princess, you can look forward to

Mimi

Excellent perspective and probably very true, thank you.

Greg

of the service on board.

Mimi

While some of my response is a bit off topic, I kindof feel the need to give more info on the topic of travel agents.

I would like to point out that back in the day...

it was Princess that offered the BEST benefits to Travel Agents at 20-40 dollars a night, next in line Sitmar and Royal Cruise Line both now defunct...

Holland America was very expensive and RCCL policies made it difficult to plan for air...

just saying...

While you responded about Customer Service from a Travel Agents point of view..

I would like to point out that Princess supported your industry with discounts far better and longer than most others. Those same complaining agents we probably taking advantage of them.

Also, would like to comment on the onboard customer service and the reputation of it being the best comment

that was VERY TRUE of Princess in particular

That was the case when the ship was it's own entity...

kind of like ...what happens on the ship stays on the ship and what does the home office need to know.

After sailing for over 30 years I've seen the subtle and not so subtle changes.

Well, now the home office controls MOST customer service issues on the ship and because of instant communication KNOWS everything. The Maitre D is limited, The pursers desk is limited...that's why they say they can't help you and you need to write a letter when you get home. If

they do something so simple that the home office doesn't want them to do. It's their job on the line, their lively hood

and support for their family. They would rather do what their bosses say and take being screamed at than lose the income they desperately need.

I don't recall any pre cruise issues, but did want to mention our first cruise. It was an Alaskan cruise and cruise tour that my dad took me and hubby on. Dad was 87 and developed health issues while on the cruise. He was in the ship's hospital when he had a heart block. The Princess medical staff saved his life that night with an esternal pacemaker. We had to get off in Ketchekan and all the arrangements were made by the ship staff. The necessary staff came to us in the ship hospital to sign everything and tell us of all the arrangements that were made. Ever our tour guide and waiter came to say good by and wish us well. The assured us they would take good care of dad's traveling companion, also 87 who remained for the rest of the cruise. We found out later they did take very good care of him.

The ambulance was at the dock to take dad to the hospital and a cab to take us to the hospital. While there with dad we got calls that a motel had been found for us and our luggage was brought there. The Princess land people took over and made all arrangements for out stay there and the flight home and some activities for hubby and me to do there during our stay.

We ended up flying to Mpls where an ambulance was there to take dad directly to the hospital where he immediately had a pacemaker placed. Dad lived to 93 with a very active life until 2 months before he died. These issues had occurred before with the medical staff here dragging their feet. I believe if it wasn't for Princess dad would not have live to 93!

In summary, our care couldn't have been better. The Princess ship and land staff made what was a very frightening and worrysome time for us, workable, tolerable, and actually some pleasant times for us. They got us through this and we couldn't thank them enough.I personally, don't feel any amount of hastle, money matters, etc would ever bother me after going through what we did. It all seems insignificant by comparison. That is the way I choose to look at it and why Princess will always remain tops on my list. JMO

I don't recall any pre cruise issues, but did want to mention our first cruise. It was an Alaskan cruise and cruise tour that my dad took me and hubby on. Dad was 87 and developed health issues while on the cruise. He was in the ship's hospital when he had a heart block. The Princess medical staff saved his life that night with an esternal pacemaker. We had to get off in Ketchekan and all the arrangements were made by the ship staff. The necessary staff came to us in the ship hospital to sign everything and tell us of all the arrangements that were made. Ever our tour guide and waiter came to say good by and wish us well. The assured us they would take good care of dad's traveling companion, also 87 who remained for the rest of the cruise. We found out later they did take very good care of him.

The ambulance was at the dock to take dad to the hospital and a cab to take us to the hospital. While there with dad we got calls that a motel had been found for us and our luggage was brought there. The Princess land people took over and made all arrangements for out stay there and the flight home and some activities for hubby and me to do there during our stay.

We ended up flying to Mpls where an ambulance was there to take dad directly to the hospital where he immediately had a pacemaker placed. Dad lived to 93 with a very active life until 2 months before he died. These issues had occurred before with the medical staff here dragging their feet. I believe if it wasn't for Princess dad would not have live to 93!

In summary, our care couldn't have been better. The Princess ship and land staff made what was a very frightening and worrysome time for us, workable, tolerable, and actually some pleasant times for us. They got us through this and we couldn't thank them enough.I personally, don't feel any amount of hastle, money matters, etc would ever bother me after going through what we did. It all seems insignificant by comparison. That is the way I choose to look at it and why Princess will always remain tops on my list. JMO

Hi - Excellent! I'm so glad Dad survided his cruise. If iI were offered 93, I'd take it today! Thank you.

Greg

I can't comment about princess CSR's when calling for information, as I have never done that in my life. I refuse to call some young thing that has never set foot onboard a ship in her entire life trying to find an answer in her computer while I am on hold for 20 minutes.

BUT, for problems we have had over the years onboard their ships, I give Princess an A+ for their customer service. Now remember, this is with an actual problem, not a whine, or a petty gripe, but with a real problem. This has happened to us twice now, in over 15 years sailing with Princess. And the first huge problem was on our first Princess cruise. They could not have been more gracious and accomodating with their 'offer' to make it up to us.

Sure, it does take some time to get issues resolved, and they aren't speedy with returning mail. But I have always received an email within 24 hours if the PROBLEM was actually a problem alerting me they have received my email and are looking into the matter, and that is what we have found with many larger companies in any consumer area. But so far, it's been great.

I think now though there are so many that consider small gripes or complaints to be so huge, they blow them all out of proportion, but they expect something for this. It takes up so much time that the office staff needs to weed through which ones really need something done, and some need that mighty form letter stating 'sorry for your disappointment, yadda yadda yadda". :) I would love to know the amount of mail that Princess offices receive each and every day, and what percentage of that mail actually contains something that needs looked into immediately? ;)

Just to clarify this..not sure how you thought I was putting them down

I worked for a minimum wage in a call center when I was younger.

As soon as any of us could find a higher paying job we did...that's human nature.

which leaves room for a "new hire" which in turn means they have A LOT to learn to answer all questions and most likely have never been on a cruise ship or seen the hotels for Pre and Post stay nor do they know how to work the proper channels internally to fix an issue!

As someone did mention, it does seem that some people are referring to the call centers and the CSRs who answer the phone, and that some are referring to on-board problems. Two different things, unless you're also talking about contacting Princess post-cruise about some problems you've tried to resolve onboard in vain.

I'm guessing that the phone staff haven't been on a cruise...they probably are locals in the Santa Clarita Valley in their first full-time job. The two times I did call there before my last cruise were on the frustrating side for me as I felt I should have been able to get an official answer, not just a guess. I'm sure they are fielding several questions a day, an hour, and that Princess just isn't training as much as they can. Or else taking the various most-asked questions and distributing the answers to the staff.

And as noted above, many of the correspondence can be about petty complaints that probably would be avoided if the passengers have read their cruise answers book (or even asked here on cruising websites of experienced cruisers).

I do think if someone posts here "DON"T EVER CRUISE ON ----," their complaint could be very valid, but their approach is very wrong. Better yet to say they had problems and be specific (not be wordy though). You may find some sympathy (and some attacks). Think about the advice you are given (even the attacks may help) and then carefully form a letter/email that states the problem up front ("I hope you can help me with a problem involving the ..... onboard"), a short chronology (if you can bullet point the info, that probably is best...don't write one long paragraph), and suggest possible solutions to fixing the problem so that it won't happen again (I'm not talking about giving you OBC or that like, I'm talking about providing ways that the cruiseline or the staff could avoid a similar problem in the future).

Then thank them for their attention to the matter, looking forward to hearing from them, yada yada yada.

Who knows, you may heard back from them and be pleasantly surprised.

Who knows' date=' you [b']may[/b] heard back from them and be pleasantly surprised.

I have never dealt with a company where 'may hear back' after I contacted them was even a consideration. I am a new cruiser to Princess and spent most of my vacation at resorts. I have had things gone miserly wrong but was always had things resolved in a timely matter. I would like/expect to hear back even if the answer NO. Though ones on board experience might be great, you are still dealing with uninformed reps and a company who may or may not acknowledge your concerns/complaints. Not what I am used to but things are changing.

BTW love your ideas about writing an effective letter. I hope I will never need it but I have taken note.

Overall it is VERY POOR. On the ship, very few in the staff spoke clear English and most were hard to understand when asking questions. Once off the ship, they ignore you. I tried to get an answer from Lost And Found and only got an automated response that they would get back to me, and never did. I will never sail Princess ever again.

. On the ship, very few in the staff spoke clear English and most were hard to understand when asking questions. .

Whatever support I was willing to extend to you has been lost with that comment.

You are sailing on a ship with International crew on International waters.

which you should of known in your personal research

if you need English spoken to you clearly I suggest you stay on land...

but please avoid California as we are a melting pot and not all signage is in English...you will need to know at times a smidgen of spanish, vietnamese and chinese...

and if you go to in and out burger..you need to know how to order correctly....4x4, animal style, protein style ...none of that is on the actual menu BUT you need to know how to speak the language.

You might want to avoid Canada...they start sentences with Ehhh

and those Brits..you've got nappy, straight away, bum, mum..to name just a few...so you might not understand their English...

Ohh, when you head to the south...

the 1st time I was asked sweetened or unsweeted I was bit stumped and if you go to Waffle House ordering

hash browns is an EVENT....smothered, covered, slathered...just give me 2 grilled onions with a pound of cheese and some potatoes..

with an ice tea...sweetened

Overall it is VERY POOR. On the ship, very few in the staff spoke clear English and most were hard to understand when asking questions. Once off the ship, they ignore you. I tried to get an answer from Lost And Found and only got an automated response that they would get back to me, and never did. I will never sail Princess ever again.

Writing Never and Ever in the same sentence is not very good English, either. That's a pretty ethnocentric observation, don't you think? Cruising is an international experience. Perhaps you're not ready for that.

[quote name='houch']I don't recall any pre cruise issues, but did want to mention our first cruise. It was an Alaskan cruise and cruise tour that my dad took me and hubby on. Dad was 87 and developed health issues while on the cruise. He was in the ship's hospital when he had a heart block. The Princess medical staff saved his life that night with an esternal pacemaker. We had to get off in Ketchekan and all the arrangements were made by the ship staff. The necessary staff came to us in the ship hospital to sign everything and tell us of all the arrangements that were made. Ever our tour guide and waiter came to say good by and wish us well. The assured us they would take good care of dad's traveling companion, also 87 who remained for the rest of the cruise. We found out later they did take very good care of him.

In summary, our care couldn't have been better. The Princess ship and land staff made what was a very frightening and worrysome time for us, workable, tolerable, and actually some pleasant times for us. They got us through this and we couldn't thank them enough.I personally, don't feel any amount of hastle, money matters, etc would ever bother me after going through what we did. It all seems insignificant by comparison. That is the way I choose to look at it and why Princess will always remain tops on my list. JMO[/QUOTE]
Thank you for taking the trouble to share your story and provide the positive side of cruiseline/passenger interactions. We are expecting the very best service from Princess on our first cruise. In return they will receive consideration and respect from us.

So pleased to hear that Dad's life was saved that day, and that what was undoubtedly for you a very trying experience, was made better by thoughtful people. GC

[quote name='where2next'][SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]Whatever support I was willing to extend to you has been lost with that comment.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]You are sailing on a ship with International crew on International waters. [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]which you should of known in your personal research[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]if you need English spoken to you clearly I suggest you stay on land...[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]but please avoid California as we are a melting pot and not all signage is in English...you will need to know at times a smidgen of spanish, vietnamese and chinese...[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]and if you go to in and out burger..you need to know how to order correctly....4x4, animal style, protein style ...none of that is on the actual menu BUT you need to know how to speak the language. [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]You might want to avoid Canada...they start sentences with Ehhh[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]and those Brits..you've got nappy, straight away, bum, mum..to name just a few...so you might not understand their English...[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]Ohh, when you head to the south...[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]the 1st time I was asked sweetened or unsweeted I was bit stumped and if you go to Waffle House ordering
hash browns is an EVENT....smothered, covered, slathered...just give me 2 grilled onions with a pound of cheese and some potatoes..
with an ice tea...sweetened[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#4b0082][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#4b0082][/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]
And wait until you Yanks come to our beautiful Oz. We love to see you but you will not understand a word we say, Mate!! GC

[quote name='jeffstew']Writing Never and Ever in the same sentence is not very good English, either. That's a pretty ethnocentric observation, don't you think? [B]Cruising is an international experience[/B]. Perhaps you're not ready for that.[/quote]

Hi Jeff
Truly with all due respect (did I say that right).
I started the thread to get feedback after reading reports. I hope those who choose to post do so to provide information for others who are concern. I would love to hear about your experience with Princess Customer Service. I hope I got my point across, even in a less than perfect manner. Though cruising is an international experience, on most cruises (10 so far) and resorts (Caribbean and Mexico), I felt as if I never left the US. IMOP hiring cheap labor from other countries doesn't make it international, just the ability to exploit, and benefit from cheap labor. This is direct at the industry as a whole. I have Never, Ever felt the international experience I crave in terms of culture from any cruise or resort. However I have consistently gotten good to great service.
Thanks

[quote name='kooljamming']
. I have Never, Ever felt the international experience I crave in terms of culture from any cruise or resort. Thanks[/quote]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]Hi Kooljamming...[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]I would like to comment on that...[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]I've been cruising since I was a little kid over 30 years...[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]In my cruise experience I've been exposed to languages from the crew I would never have heard and learned words in those language[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]I received information on foreign lands ands then SAW them with my own eyes. Text books were for other kids[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#4b0082]I LIVED it[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]My DH and I travel by land off the beaten path, for weeks at a time[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]We just returned from Turkey, Greece and Bulgaria for 24 days and it was crew that helped us with some of our travel planning. [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]Last year when we were in , Croatia Montenegro and Bosnia for 3 weeks again it was crew[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]Cruises that I took leading up to our land trips I used to ask for assistance. It was great fun to learn what THEY wanted me to experience and why. It was a chance for me to ask someone from these places to ask for more clarification in what I read in the guidebooks. [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]In turn I have offered to share with them anything they want to know of places I've been or where I live.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]You will get culture if you look for it, if you engage in convesations with crew. [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]If you need immersion culture..you need to get off a cruise ship and the land of the resort hotel....[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]you need to stay in small 3 star family run boutique hotel, hunt and gather your own food while you try translate your menu, not only do you need to have enough time to hit the top 10 sights, but the 2nd tier or lower sights[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]and then you will return and say WOW, what an experience![/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='where2next']

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]If you need immersion culture..you need to get off a cruise ship and the land of the resort hotel....[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]you need to stay in small 3 star family run boutique hotel, hunt and gather your own food while you try translate your menu, not only do you need to have enough time to hit the top 10 sights, but the 2nd tier or lower sights[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]and then you will return and say WOW, what an experience![/COLOR][/SIZE][/quote]

You just described what my vacations are about. I book moderately priced vacations so that I have money left over to see and do things. Last summer we rented a car and drove from Playa Del Carmen to Chichen Itza. On our return we drove through the villages and stopped along the way to buy things, similar as we would in Jamaica. We visted a Mission in Cabo San Lucas with gifts as a port excursion. As a part of the Education First program we host foreign exchange students in our home each summer (for free) for the past 6 years. My kids learn about the places and life style of these students. So far we have done Russia, Hong Kong, Spain, Denmark, Indonesia, Thailand, Japan, Austria, and China. In 3 weeks our Denmark student will retun to spend time with us. I have a lot of kids calling me mom, some in languages I don't know. I appreciate differences and culture and wish it was represented more on board or at the resort. In Mexico the culture, food, music, should be represented on board or at the resort. Forget bacon and eggs, or steaks but serve tacos and burritos. I have had better Mexican food in California than I have at a resort in Mexico. Yes, I know the WOW feeling or just feeling extremely greatful and blessed!

[URL]http://kooljamming.shutterfly.com/[/URL]
[URL]http://good-times.webshots.com/album/559644941UvHHOC[/URL]

I have to say that reading all these customer service complaints about Princess lately is interesting. We recently went on our first Princess cruise and out of 3 different lines we have been on, this one was the best so far. I'm not discounting anything anyone has said, perhaps we were just lucky to have such wonderful service from Princess. I for one can't wait to sail with them again. Happy cruising :)

Where2next

You are correct about Princess being generous to TAs, back when they depended on them
for business. I don't know what the situation is now. The complaint was the effect
customer service had on our clients. TAs are used to dealing with all kinds of problems,
but not being able to get a straight answer for the client was frustrating, as most TAs
endeavor to give the best possible service and the best possible travel to that client.
That was the reason for the complaints, not how Princess as a cruise line treated the agents.

Also, as regards sweet and unsweet....(not sweetened and unsweetened), we were
recently excited to find the choice available in Sioux Falls SD on our 4 week road trip
across the country. Having found only unsweet in KY, we figured we wouldn't see
sweet till we got at least to TN. And the late great Lewis Grizzard preferred Waffle
House over all others. The hashbrowns may have been what did him in.

Eek, I missed a type (heard instead of hear) in a post. Oh, well.

Anyway, it would be nice if people would put things in perspective (like Carol did about her father). Sometimes people have such petty little complaints (like the one on a roll call for a cruise I took a few years ago who complained that the rind was left on the pineapple slices...I actually liked the rind which allowed me to hold the fruit while eating it). Many people haven't been able to take a cruise due to losing their job. Others had to put their vacations on hold for other reasons (we have a terminally ill member of our extended family).

I can be sympathetic about some things that go wrong on a cruise. Depends on what it was, and whether anything was done to resolve it in a timely matter. But life isn't perfect. Just make sure you aren't the problem.

[quote name='katisdale']I have found a great difference between calling Princess where I can get different answers to the same question just by calling back. The phone representatives have little knowledge about the cruises and absolutely no knowledge about the ports of call. However once on the ship I find the service to be outstanding. I have always had excellent stewards and waiters. The ships officers have been charming and knowledgeable if I asked about the ship. The entertainment staff (like trivia etc.) have been excellent. On ship I have found some port lecturers to be outstanding and some to be just shopping shills. I avoid the shopping talks so that no longer irritates me.[/quote]
I agree completely. The phone representatives are rarely able to answer my questions. They usually put me on hold to check with someone else or ask me to call back on another day, or tell me that someone will call me. The only information they seem to have is whatever is listed in their computers. I guess it would cost too much to train these customer service reps??

However, I have never had a problem once onboard the ship. They bend-over backwards to try to help you. Having said that, I always run into passengers that find something to complain about (or a reason not to tip:eek: -- don't get me started on my soapbox) on every cruise that I have been on -- except possibly the Big Red Boat. The last time we sailed Princess (on the Island Princess), we had a wonderful 15-day cruise from Los Angeles to Hawaii and back to LA. One of the guest speakers called himself "Hawaii Bob," and according to my DW, he was absolutely fabulous. Unfortunately, I never got to hear him.

The only rude people on that ship were the passengers:confused:, especially those playing trivia. The crew was as polite and helpful as on any cruise we have been.

[quote name='cdngrl']don't hold back! :D
i love princess. i hate having to deal with their customer service people.
oh, they're all pleasant enough, but its true, they are not always helpful, knowledgable or on top of things.[/QUOTE]

exactly right.

Archived